Options

Lady Aurora - Yellowknife NWT

El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
edited April 27, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
Finally having time to post these images from a trip in February, to Yellowknife, NWT.

Excellent weather (-38C), clear sky and wonderful Aurora displays.

Hope you enjoy them. C&C always welcomed.

i-5r6FDGT-L.jpg

i-jKS5Bfq-L.jpg

i-2L4Cjrt-L.jpg

i-w4PKCdf-L.jpg

i-T68MSX5-L.jpg

i-Qd5GrmH-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2016
    Very nice! How long do you stay out for shoot like this? Meaning -38C for how long....Cheers!
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2016
    Amazing!! I'm envious (of the shots..., not so much of sitting out in -38C!!)
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,179 moderator
    edited April 18, 2016
    Gorgeous set of Aurora images. Well done! clap.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,744 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2016
  • Options
    El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2016
    Photographing the Aurora
    Stumblebum:

Thank you and everyone who has commented on my images. Much appreciated.

At -38C a good question…typically not much longer than one-half hour to 45 min. This is also dictated by wind chill and battery life. Let me first state that one needs to be properly prepared to photograph outside in these conditions. Besides wearing the necessary and appropriate clothing, even though I have a car that I can hop into when bone cold, I also carry an Emergency Space Blanket, wind/waterproof matches, compass, extra heavy wool socks and several Clif bars (packable energy food)…just in case the car won’t start and I need to spend the night car camping.

I have invested in a set of ECWCS Gen III (Extreme Cold Weather Clothing System, generation 3) developed by the Army for troops serving in extreme weather conditions, which keeps me toasty for a long period outside. ECWCS Gen I, was originally designed by the Navy Clothing and Textile Research Center in Natick, Massachusetts, US, for use during the Korean War. Gen III is the current version, much lighter, stronger, versatile, better materials.

The greatest exposure factor, however, for me personally, are my hands, as I continually need to remove my arctic mitts and gloves to operate the camera’s remote shutter release. Thus chemical hand warmers are essential.

On this last trip, I tried using a wireless shutter release but, the cold temps seem to adversely affect the operational efficiency of the unit. I think the small AA batteries were drained before the unit actually got to working. I didn’t want to spend time debugging the problem while wonderful aurora displays are happening all around me. The extreme temps will drain a fully charged battery in no time. I bring eight fully charged batteries with me on each shoot and by evening’s end, will have used them all.

I also wear a pair of Bata “bunny boots” [yep, that’s what they’re called-- actual name -- Extreme Cold Vapor Barrier Boots (Type II)] rated to about −65F (−53.8C) that keep my feet toasty warm when standing out on a frozen lake or in snow.

All this comes in handy when photographing in extreme temperatures.

My coldest Aurora shoot to date, several years ago in Bettles Alaska, -69F (-56.1°C).

Thanks for your comments and interest in my aurora images!!
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2016
    Thanks for the preparation tips EG! Cheers!clap.gif
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2016
    Wonderful! clap.gifclap
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2016
    Love this stuff! I'm just gonna have to fly up and do this someday.
    -Len