Mormon Row, Grand Tetons

PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
edited March 1, 2015 in Landscapes
One of the cabins on Mormon row, Grand Tetons national park. The day was pretty snowy, but it mostly cleared up at night. The Tetons are to the right of the frame and they're pretty well covered in clouds. You can actually see them starting on the right side of the frame.

Thanks,

Mike

16477918946_59ca8a86d2_h.jpg
flickr
I welcome your feedback, but leave the editing to me - thanks!

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2015
    Nice comp and subject! thumb.gif
    The purples/noise in the snow and elsewhere is bound to happen when shadows are brought up if shot with wide angle, at the corners especially. Also exposure was tad too long maybe.....stars moved creating slight tail/blur, but still works!
    Lovely overall!
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2015
    I would be putting a frame around that. Very nice composition.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Nice comp and subject! thumb.gif
    The purples/noise in the snow and elsewhere is bound to happen when shadows are brought up if shot with wide angle, at the corners especially. Also exposure was tad too long maybe.....stars moved creating slight tail/blur, but still works!
    Lovely overall!

Thanks for the good feedback. I should probably have spent more than a couple minutes processing. :D
    I would be putting a frame around that. Very nice composition.

Thanks.
    flickr
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2015
    I gave feedback based on not being able to process my own shots and make them useful! :D
    So far what I have learned is that stars and other lights are so beautiful, all other details may not be needed, but if they can be brought out cleanly then ofcourse that takes it to another level!
    Keep up the superb work Mike! Would love to go shooting with you and pick your brain!
    Cheers!
  • bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2015
  • Jago-ViGJago-ViG Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2015
    Awesome shot - love how the colors are like a warm ball at the bottom center and then gradually get cooler.
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2015
    Great shot. Never thought of shooting it at night or from that direction, but I will next time I'm down that way. I'm betting there is a whole lot less people to get in your comp then there is in the day time. Very well done. Thanks for the inspiration. thumb.gifthumb

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2015
    Thanks for the great feedback.

This was actually a difficult trip for me. I had limited time and spent the day snow shoeing into Taggert Lake and finding nothing but clouds. Unfortunately, when you get cloud cover on the mountains, the rest of the area loses its charm. The river was frozen over at Oxbow and the mountains were behind clouds. I tried shooting moose and Antelope at the reserve, but wasn't really happy with any of it. That evening, the clouds parted over the valley and I was able to get the shot above and some more around the barn, but I wasn't too happy with most of it.

Thanks again,

Mike
    flickr