Options

Denali

The Lazy DestroyerThe Lazy Destroyer Registered Users Posts: 127 Major grins
edited February 26, 2015 in Landscapes
Did a few different compositions and processing, curious which ones you think work the best.

Images below...
____Motoception Photography____
www.motoception.com

Comments

• Options
    edited February 15, 2015
    1:
    IMG_1796-L.jpg

2:
    IMG_1776-L.jpg
    www.motoception.com
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2015
    #1!
    More punch! Sharper!
    Beautiful composition and shot and nice light!
  • Options
    R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2015
    Hi, an each way bet! I like the clarity and lighting on #1, but prefer the pale sky in #2 as I think it looks more natural.

Cheers, Richard.
  • Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2015
    I do like the sharpness on the mountain in #1, but the local contrast is slightly overdone, there is a rim around the mountain top visible on my monitor at least. You captured some nice light.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2015
    ga voor de eerste opname, daar is de sneeuw mooi wit.
    grt,boco.
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2015
    JC wrote: »
    I do like the sharpness on the mountain in #1, but the local contrast is slightly overdone, there is a rim around the mountain top visible on my monitor at least. You captured some nice light.

I prefer #1, however I agree with this comment. Maybe worth experimenting a bit more, the shot is worth the extra effort clap.gif
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2015
    R.Jay wrote: »
    Hi, an each way bet! I like the clarity and lighting on #1, but prefer the pale sky in #2 as I think it looks more natural.

Cheers, Richard.

15524779-Ti.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2015
    Nice shots, i'd love to get to Denali one of these years... It may just be my screen, but in image #1 it almost appears to be some ghosting around the top of the mountain, not sure what you can do in post to fix that, but thought i'd mention it in case you need to correct it before printing a nice large image and having it be very noticeable.

Great share!

Lee
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2015
    Nice capture. Great light. A little over-processed. #1 is my fav.

-Len
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2015
    Thanks for the feedback!
    In my opinion the images out of the camera were not that great. There was just no contrast in them.
    I usually do edits that apply to the whole image, I had problems doing that here so along with the usual stuff I do, I made a compromise and toyed with the graduated filter a little bit as well.

In both images I lightened up the snow in the foreground, added extra contrast to the mountains (starting just at the tops of the trees and above), and added some color to the top to make the sky appear to transition to darker and not be so "flat"... no clouds so the sky was kind of blank. I am a bit out of my element at these types of edits so I just toyed with what I think made it stand out a little better. It looks better to me, although I am sure it can be edited to be much better in the hands of someone who... knows what they are doing :)

So I'd like to share the originals (Raw straight from camera) so you can "grade" my post processing if you wish. Or let me know generally what you might have done if given this same starting point.

Image #1:

Original:
    i-s4g56kF-L.jpg

Final (same as linked in first post):

IMG_1796-L.jpg
    www.motoception.com
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2015
    Image #2:

Original:
    i-R69TTLT-L.jpg

Final (same as linked in original post):

IMG_1776-L.jpg
    www.motoception.com
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2015
    Wiren wrote: »
    Nice shots, i'd love to get to Denali one of these years... It may just be my screen, but in image #1 it almost appears to be some ghosting around the top of the mountain, not sure what you can do in post to fix that, but thought i'd mention it in case you need to correct it before printing a nice large image and having it be very noticeable.

Great share!

Lee

Hi Lee,
    Ya it is there in the image. I think it is because I added extra contrast (using a graduated filter) starting from the tops of the trees and above. And it caused some extra darkness above the mountain line. I saw it and thought about figuring out a way to remove it... or do the contrast on the mountain a little differently, but honestly was already doing a bit more than I wanted and just left it as-is. Definitely will add this to my list of images to go back to when I get a bit more experience under my belt.
    www.motoception.com
  • Options
    Tom FosterTom Foster Registered Users Posts: 289 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2015
    Hi, obviously you can't so anything about this now but in my opinion the photo would have looked more balanced with a bit more snow at the bottom. The edge of the treeline is a bit too close to the bottom of the frame and as a result looks a bit odd from a composition point of view.
    As for the editing, bit much for me, would prefer it toned down a bit! :)