Cataract Falls

PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
edited February 17, 2015 in Landscapes
Cataract Falls is in Marin County (north of San Francisco for those not familiar with the area). It's a wonderful little series of cascades coming down into Alpine Lake, outside of Fairfax, CA. It's pretty much a rain-forest type environment and makes for a great little hike.

This was a little different for me. I've been here many times, but this trip was really mostly a family hike so I just brought my little Fuji, a polarizer + ND filter, and a little tripod. I was pretty happy with the results, but thought I'd share them with the group to see if you had any tips or feedback. It was certainly a lot lighter than carrying all my Canon stuff.

Thanks,

Mike

DSCF1055b%202560x1600-X2.jpg

#2 - same pool as above, but different composition/framing
DSCF1058a%202560x1600-X2.jpg

DSCF1012a%202560x1600-X2.jpg

DSCF1006a%20x2560-X2.jpg
flickr
I welcome your feedback, but leave the editing to me - thanks!

Comments

• David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,176 moderator
    edited February 11, 2015
    Fantastic series of waterfall shots, and good post processing. I can't choose a favorite because they're all equally good.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2015
    Nice set! Love first two!
  • bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2015
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited February 12, 2015
    Outstanding shots, Mike. Pretty impressive for a lightweight setup like that. You ought to send that first one into Fuji, they might want to use it. This looks like a great place to visit. thumb.gif
  • PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2015
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm glad you like them. It is these types of experiences which really make me question the need for more expensive/bigger gear (for most things anyway). I commute on a train a few days per week and was looking for something that would easily drop into my bag. I previously carried a Lumix ZS-3 and it was just too noisy at higher ISO. I've actually opted for the Fuji for my last couple of business trips and it's been good. These were shot with a Fuji X-M1 with the kit lens, but now I'm thinking of upgrading to something with a viewfinder.

Boco, thanks for commenting as well. I understand that the long exposure has been done quite a bit and isn't to everyone's preference. I usually like it more so I tend toward more longer exposures.

Thanks again,

Mike
    flickr
  • JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2015
    All of these are great, but I like the last the best. I wonder if the first three are slightly over-sharpened? Great depth of focus from the small aperture, but the edges seem almost too sharp to me.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • PrevailingConditionsPrevailingConditions Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2015
    JC wrote: »
    All of these are great, but I like the last the best. I wonder if the first three are slightly over-sharpened? Great depth of focus from the small aperture, but the edges seem almost too sharp to me.

I suppose it could be. I don't see it in the originals, but it could have come from downsampling for display.

Thanks for commenting.

Mike
    flickr
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited February 13, 2015
    Nice work, Mike. thumb.gif

I'm going to throw some strong kudos toward Taz. He excels in incorporating strong foreground elements in his landscape work and I've noticed that other shooters, perhaps subconsciously, are more frequently emphasizing such tactics themselves. That approach has certainly paid dividends in this series.

Our options to use equipment other than big, bulky DSLRs are growing rapidly. Mike's grouping here is evidence that there are arguments in favor of going the ' lighter ' route in many cases.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2015
    Beautifully composed with perfect long exposure results. That's getting the most from your equipment!
    Nicely done. I agree with exploring Fuji's interest in this set.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2015
    Sorry.....I forgot to respond. ne_nau.gif

These are wonderful!!!

Sam