Digital Download Checkout and receipt issues

videooppvideoopp Registered Users Posts: 103 Big grins
edited October 12, 2006 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Well, I have had my site up and running now for a couple of months or so and am starting to get some sales. Overall, I am very pleased with the way everything works and have had very few complaints from clients. I am looking forward to building my clientel and having a long mutualy beneficial partnership with Smugmug. You really have provided a wonderful opportunity here! :clap

There are a few things though, about the shopping cart and checkout process, that I wish could be tweaked a little, for those of us who are using the service as a stock image digital download site. I fear that there are still some things at checkout that may confuse a image researcher who is used to purchasing at other stock image sites.

1. First glance at the Shopping Cart is confusing to the first time digital download shopper. They are presented with a license for "personal use" with not a lot of hints as how to change it to commercial. Even the drop down menu is somewhat obtuse with it's C and P designations.

2. Page two of checkout: I wish that the "next" button was at the bottom of the page. I wish that Smugmug required the security code found on the back of credit cards.

3. On the "completed order" page I wish that the information was tailored more for digital download clients.

A: Instead of the VERY subtle "You may want to print this for your records" It really should say something like: "This page represents your royalty free license to use this image. Please print and file this document with your records as you may be required to show proof that you have the right to use this image." This should be followed with a "Printer Friendly" button so the client does not think that the print will be black and skip the printing process because of the black.

B: Instead of saying: "Current Status: Shipped." I wish it said: "Current Status: Ready to Download" or something similar.

C: The "Save Photo" button is in an odd place. I propose that it be moved, made bigger and say, "download now"

4. The email receipt says: "We truly appreciate your business and hope you'll be delighted with the prints you've ordered." I would like it if it said the image(s) you have downloaded. There must be some way of noticing that the order was a digital download and send out a email with wording specific to digital downlaods.

5. The email Receipt has two links to look at the order on Smugmug. The first link works with the order password, the second link does not. It even has a different order number. I am afraid that this could be frustrating to people who did not notice the little "Save Photo" button, and assumed that you need to go to your email to download the image, only to find that the link doesn't work with the password they established.

Thanks again for the wonderful site!
Frank Spangler
Business: www.panopro.com
Stock Images: www.worldviewimages.com (Smugmug Site)
Stock Video: https://www.pond5.com/artist/videoopp
Blog: www.untotheleast.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2006
    videoopp wrote:
    Well, I have had my site up and running now for a couple of months or so and am starting to get some sales. Overall, I am very pleased with the way everything works and have had very few complaints from clients. I am looking forward to building my clientel and having a long mutualy beneficial partnership with Smugmug. You really have provided a wonderful opportunity here! clap.gif

There are a few things though, about the shopping cart and checkout process, that I wish could be tweaked a little, for those of us who are using the service as a stock image digital download site. I fear that there are still some things at checkout that may confuse a image researcher who is used to purchasing at other stock image sites.

1. First glance at the Shopping Cart is confusing to the first time digital download shopper. They are presented with a license for "personal use" with not a lot of hints as how to change it to commercial. Even the drop down menu is somewhat obtuse with it's C and P designations.

2. Page two of checkout: I wish that the "next" button was at the bottom of the page. I wish that Smugmug required the security code found on the back of credit cards.

3. On the "completed order" page I wish that the information was tailored more for digital download clients.

A: Instead of the VERY subtle "You may want to print this for your records" It really should say something like: "This page represents your royalty free license to use this image. Please print and file this document with your records as you may be required to show proof that you have the right to use this image." This should be followed with a "Printer Friendly" button so the client does not think that the print will be black and skip the printing process because of the black.

B: Instead of saying: "Current Status: Shipped." I wish it said: "Current Status: Ready to Download" or something similar.

C: The "Save Photo" button is in an odd place. I propose that it be moved, made bigger and say, "download now"

4. The email receipt says: "We truly appreciate your business and hope you'll be delighted with the prints you've ordered." I would like it if it said the image(s) you have downloaded. There must be some way of noticing that the order was a digital download and send out a email with wording specific to digital downlaods.

5. The email Receipt has two links to look at the order on Smugmug. The first link works with the order password, the second link does not. It even has a different order number. I am afraid that this could be frustrating to people who did not notice the little "Save Photo" button, and assumed that you need to go to your email to download the image, only to find that the link doesn't work with the password they established.

Thanks again for the wonderful site!
    Thanks for the suggestions. One thing you might do, re the (P) and (C) - is to make your own custom help, which you can use to guide your buyers better through the purchase process. If you need help or ideas with that, let me know.

The other suggestions I'll make sure that the team sees!

Oh and could you mail me the email you are speaking of, help@smugmug.com ATTN Andy in the subject thanks