#60--Leather; First Attempts C&C please

slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins
edited September 29, 2010 in The Dgrin Challenges
Do any of these work? They may not quite look it, but these boots are 30 years old (hubby takes VERY good care of them).

Thanks in advance.

1023446878_XNkUs-M.jpg

1023447717_Qr9Ek-M.jpg

1023448394_nMYmG-M.jpg

1023450743_WtLDR-M.jpg

1023453641_auKAt-M.jpg

Thanks for looking. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Sherry

Comments

• JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2010
    I kind of like #1 best. The others seems a bit dark to me.
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2010
    I think #1 works (best of the lot)! Might consider a closer shot of them , or something a wee bit more dynamic with these same boots.

they are very nice, esp. for 30 y/o boots!
    tom wise
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2010
    I like #1 best too.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • PupWebPupWeb Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    Hi Sherry,

I like the way #2 has an old post card feel, but a lot of people don't like vignetting so that may not get votes for that reason. I agree with Tom with a closer more dynamic shot. There is a very interesting eagle pattern on the boots that look interesting.
  • StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    I like #1 also! thumb.gif If you do decide to move closer (and I don't have a strong feeling one way or the other), do still keep some of the wood fence still visible. I like the fact that this sets the boots in a context which feels real.

Great boots, by the way!
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins
    Thanks everyone!

This challenge seems extra hard for me because I've never been all that fond of monotone/sepia/b&w which makes me (almost automatically) dislike everything I try to do.

The originals of each of my shots all look about the same (exposure-wise), so the differences in color for each one is just a different treatment. That's why a couple of them look darker than the others. I was trying to get more of an antique finish, but didn't succeed at that very well.

#1 is a simple b&w conversion. #2, #3, & #4 are all the same photo with different treatments. #2 is an antique-look plug-in that is supposed to mimic an early photograph style (late 1800's I think). The plug-in created the vignette. #3 & #5 used sepia-tone with different strengths, but I added something different to #5 but don't remember what it was (I'm not at home right now to check). #4 is a simple b&w conversion, but then I added a lighting effect to darken the edges but keep the boots lit.

I do appreciate the comments & suggestions. I have another idea with the boots that I'll try to do in the next day or so.

Thanks again,
    Sherry
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    The boots are beautiful. Seems like they might show better if they were brighter or lighter (or maybe more contrast?) - probably the reason #1 stands out. I like the sepia tones better, but wonder if you'd like them better if you bumped the saturation down a bit. The wooden fence adds a lot to the shots, but another alternative would be to emphasize or focus more on the design (much closer crop or diff angle).
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/
  • SeascapeSSeascapeS Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    I agree, the sepia works, but needs less saturation and more contrast.
    SandiZ
    If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera. ~Lewis Hine
    http://sandizphotos-seascapes.smugmug.com/
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    I agree that sepia works better,
    ... and I wouldn't place them in the grass, but rather inside the house.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    I love #4. The lighting is a little more dramatic so the boots stand out from the fence.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2010
    Thanks again, everyone.

I checked the gallery & all threads before I started working with these boots, but now 3 other people are using images of boots so I'll probably scrap this idea and sit out this round. I don't really have another idea.

Thanks anyway.

Sherry
  • PupWebPupWeb Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    No don't do that
    slpollett wrote: »
    Thanks again, everyone.

I checked the gallery & all threads before I started working with these boots, ............. sit out this round. I don't really have another idea.

Thanks anyway.

Sherry

I love your work! Get back in there girl, get in there real close and shoot the eagle design, less boot more design and texture of the eagle.thumb.gif
  • lkbartlkbart Registered Users Posts: 1,912 Major grins
    PupWeb wrote: »
    I love your work! Get back in there girl, get in there real close and shoot the eagle design, less boot more design and texture of the eagle.thumb.gif
    15524779-Ti.gif
    ~Lillian~
    A photograph is an artistic expression of life, captured one moment at a time . . .
    http://bartlettphotoart.smugmug.com/