what to do when a location is requested constantly?

KristineDurkin79KristineDurkin79 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited July 19, 2011 in People
Ok....so I'm curious what everyone else thinks......I have had 10 sessions over the last 2 weeks, and 7 of them have all requested the exact same location. Would you talk them out of it, or do you just do what the client asks? Each session looks different, and has different poses, but its obvious the location is the same.....ugh...what do I do? :)

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2011
    Ok....so I'm curious what everyone else thinks......I have had 10 sessions over the last 2 weeks, and 7 of them have all requested the exact same location. Would you talk them out of it, or do you just do what the client asks? Each session looks different, and has different poses, but its obvious the location is the same.....ugh...what do I do? :)

Take them for a drive! mwink.gifDthumb.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    I would go with what the paying client wants.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    I say give the paying client what they want.

I'm constantly asked to take family photos at the beach. These are a bit cliche, but I've done these with my own family.ne_nau.gif They make a nice portrait session with some interesting lighting at sunset.

Keep yourself interested by trying new angles and poses if you return to the same location.
  • aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    I'm not a pro, but seems to me that just because the photographer is getting tired of a location, doesn't mean the client won't find it exciting anyway. Seems to me its only a possible issue on the photog's website, rather than the client's wall or album. mwink.gif
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    If it is a good location and you can make it look just a bit different for each customer, why wouldn't you.
    A lot of people shoot in a studio....everytime.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    If it is a good location and you can make it look just a bit different for each customer, why wouldn't you.
    A lot of people shoot in a studio....everytime.
    Exactly :-) deal.gifthumb
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • KristineDurkin79KristineDurkin79 Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    thanks for your feedback.....I just had a very negative person make a comment about how my locations are all the same. So I was making sure I was doing the right thing. Its a great location, and I do stuff differently with each session...just needed some reassurance. Thanks. You all are the best! :)
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    All I can think of in response to this question is in terms of being a performing artist, "Should I sing the same role in the same opera on different nights?" Of course! It's a brand new performance to the people in the audience who haven't seen it, even if I've done it for 7 shows already :)

You say you've had a flurry of things in one location recently - perhaps you shouldn't make all of these publicly visible/portfolio shots, but vary things that your prospective clients see so they can't make that particular judgment call? Just a thought.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    thanks for your feedback.....I just had a very negative person make a comment about how my locations are all the same. So I was making sure I was doing the right thing. Its a great location, and I do stuff differently with each session...just needed some reassurance. Thanks. You all are the best! :)

Was this person a prospective client who was looking through your galleries. If so, you may need to limit the photos from a particular location and add variety to demonstrate your versatility.

If this was just a negative person, ignore them and move on.
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Don't discount the power of bokeh! Keep your depth of field shallow and no one will know where you were! :D

Seriously, everyone is giving you great advice. Also consider that the more you're able to separate your subjects from the background, the less of an issue the location becomes.

Can we see some of your pics?
    edited July 18, 2011
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Was this person a prospective client who was looking through your galleries. If so, you may need to limit the photos from a particular location and add variety to demonstrate your versatility.

If this was just a negative person, ignore them and move on.

Oh gees....this was not a new client. I had already done her photos at a different location, that she had chose. From the moment I posted her pics, she was the most difficult person I have ever dealt with. Mind you, her session was a free session...all she had to do was buy the cd or prints. Well she wanted every single shot I had taken that day. And that was close to 950...(sounds like alot, but we were doing family pics and birthday pics, and all kinds of stuff.) When she set up the free session I explained to her that I pick the best of the best and that the disc will only have 30-40 shots. Her gallery had 37 shots. She flipped out and went crazy. Posted nasty stuff on my fb page, and then convinced a few followers of my fb page to quit following. Normally I dont let that kind of stuff get to me, but I am still a newbie, and I took it to heart.
    edited July 18, 2011
    jpc wrote: »
    Don't discount the power of bokeh! Keep your depth of field shallow and no one will know where you were! :D

Seriously, everyone is giving you great advice. Also consider that the more you're able to separate your subjects from the background, the less of an issue the location becomes.

Can we see some of your pics?

Oh......I am very shy about my pics.....you all are professionals and I dont even compare to the talent here... ne_nau.gif
  • gotthepicgotthepic Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited July 18, 2011
    I have only taken pictures for 2 years. In those 2 years I realized that when people want you to take a picture. Take it!!! Even if you know it won't be good, just to make them happy that you did it.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2011
    Well, assuming you're talking about "clients", you're professional! By all means share - this is about the friendliest photographic place on the net, and people are extremely constructive in their comments (both pro and con!) thumb.gif
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    All I can think of in response to this question is in terms of being a performing artist, "Should I sing the same role in the same opera on different nights?" Of course! It's a brand new performance to the people in the audience who haven't seen it, even if I've done it for 7 shows already :)

Very good point. Don't forget bands tour the world and play the exact same set at every concert. Probably gets a little boring for them, but that's what their fans want and why they pay to see them.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited July 19, 2011
    Oh......I am very shy about my pics.....you all are professionals and I dont even compare to the talent here... ne_nau.gif

headscratch.gif Did you really join the forum only to never post a pic? No one is going to jump all over you. I've learned a ton form this forum and I can assure you that you won't regret posting a pic or two. You'll receive far more support than criticism.
  • kathiemtkathiemt Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    Oh gees....this was not a new client. I had already done her photos at a different location, that she had chose. From the moment I posted her pics, she was the most difficult person I have ever dealt with. Mind you, her session was a free session...all she had to do was buy the cd or prints. Well she wanted every single shot I had taken that day. And that was close to 950...(sounds like alot, but we were doing family pics and birthday pics, and all kinds of stuff.) When she set up the free session I explained to her that I pick the best of the best and that the disc will only have 30-40 shots. Her gallery had 37 shots. She flipped out and went crazy. Posted nasty stuff on my fb page, and then convinced a few followers of my fb page to quit following. Normally I dont let that kind of stuff get to me, but I am still a newbie, and I took it to heart.

Therein lies the problem. You said that terrible word 'free'. Sorry, but some people are so very rude when they get something free. They want the earth. And yet others are so very appreciative. Wish they all were. I hope you blocked her off your Facebook page. I wouldn't have anything further to do with her. And perhaps you can get others who have been happy with your services to post messages of what they've appreciated about your work?
    edited July 19, 2011
    Contracts make good clients like fences make good neighbors. thumb.gif
    edited July 19, 2011
    divamum wrote: »
    Well, assuming you're talking about "clients", you're professional! By all means share - this is about the friendliest photographic place on the net, and people are extremely constructive in their comments (both pro and con!) thumb.gif

Your right! I will post something....I appreciate constructive criticism.... :D
    edited July 19, 2011
    jpc wrote: »
    headscratch.gif Did you really join the forum only to never post a pic? No one is going to jump all over you. I've learned a ton form this forum and I can assure you that you won't regret posting a pic or two. You'll receive far more support than criticism.

No...I joined to learn and to get feedback from professionals...your right....I will post something. :D
    edited July 19, 2011
    kathiemt wrote: »
    Therein lies the problem. You said that terrible word 'free'. Sorry, but some people are so very rude when they get something free. They want the earth. And yet others are so very appreciative. Wish they all were. I hope you blocked her off your Facebook page. I wouldn't have anything further to do with her. And perhaps you can get others who have been happy with your services to post messages of what they've appreciated about your work?

I know....I dont know what I was thinking. I took pity on her because of her personal situation, and I shouldnt have. I woke up this morning to a flurry of harrassing posts made to my page, and the cussing was unbelieveable. She's been reported and banned and blocked. Whew! Seriously...who does this at 30 years old?
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2011
    yeaaaaaah. so i just read through this post. um really who bitches about something thats FREE. Tell her to shove it and don't give her a single pic, seriously.
    RE: same location...who cares? If they are paying and thats what they want give it to them. Like everyone else suggested try new poses or new angles, etc.. Theres a photographer who posts in the wedding section regularly who shoots most of his weddings in the same location. Each is more stunning than the previous. Mix it up if you'd like. or don't. if someone doesn't hire you strictly based on seeing the same location in your portfolio then screw 'em. If they hire you and don't want to go to that location they will ask to go somewhere else.