Juneau, Alaska Rock Climbing? Yup!!

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited May 23, 2010 in Journeys
Juneau - Where the Rock Grows Green

Whenever I heard someone talk about rock climbing in Juneau it was always with a certain tone, similar to if we were talking about life on the moon. One would easily believe that it simply doesn't exist. I decided that it was time to find out what the real deal was. Having my ticket paid for didn't hurt either.
Soon I was on my way to Juneau where the sun seems to shine only when I am here. I think this because I always hear about how rainy it is only to find that it sprinkles here and there but its just not that bad. Arriving at the airport I end up taking a taxi where the driver waits until he is about to drop me off and then mentions the bus I could have taken, better luck next time. I was lucky to be able to acquire a place to stay in the harbor free of charge and was soon listening to the sound of water lapping gently at the side of boat as it rocked me to sleep.
The next morning I gathered my gear and headed to the hill above town that I had read about where there were supposed to be a few climbs lurking in the mist. Clouds would roll though dropping slight impressions of rain before dissipating back to where they came from as I made my way to the base of the cliff. As I arrived the clouds opened and the sun came out to stay. I found the first anchor for my toprope solo and setup above what appeared the be the dirtiest corner I had ever attempted, that in itself is impressive. I moved slowly and groveled my way through the climb often pulling off holds, inspecting them, and tossing them to the base of the cliff. The piles of moss rolled off my head and down my back as my rope ripped them from the wall and soon I would all but disappear under the massive pile of undergrowth. This is an exaggeration but only slightly. Welcome to Juneau rock climbing.
The rest of the climbing went smoothly and I headed into town stopping by Foggy Mountain Outdoors shop and talking with someone who had done most of the routes I just finished gardening. I was told how they cleaned the rocks, then cleaned them again, then used a drill with wire brush to finally get it all off. That was last year, the wall grows the equivalent of a warm quilt in less then a year. Again I am impressed.
The next day I get to take a drive to what they call the Sea Cliffs, I am a bit worried and wondering if I should swap my harness and crampons for rake and shovel when we pull off to the side of the road. A short walk through the forest and we were at the cliffs overlooking a beautiful stretch of ocean. As we arrived we hear shoots of water and know some wildlife is in the area. Gazing to the ocean we see sea lions not 50 yards offshore, later they would be only 5 or 10.

860248635_Ls4CW-L.jpg

Within a few routes we hear another noise and turn to see a pod of Orcas going by, I am quickly falling for the majesty of the area.

860247989_9XVik-L.jpg

Another few routes and we turn to see a few Humpback Wales slowly cruising by, even if the climbing wasn't good this area is one of the most beautiful I have climbed. The climb was decent! Dare I say it even bordered on very enjoyable. Although we were able to climb all but one of the routes (12) in this specific area in one day it was worth another trip and I feel I will be back in the future.

(notice the 5 bald eagles in the trees behind the cliff)
860261659_Z9QvM-L.jpg

860255794_iWGm5-L.jpg

860258952_oAUdU-L.jpg

860244528_6LJwr-L.jpg

860245398_np3P2-L.jpg

We left the crag as the sun went down after watching sea lions play in the orange glow of the sunset and I returned happily to the boat with a great appreciation for climbing in the area.

860250568_poATA-L.jpg

860253847_oWhu2-XL.jpg

More to come....

Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2010
    Majestic, indeed.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2010
    Sounds great, and you certainly got some good pics. Couldn't really see all 5 eagles though. :)
  • PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    Oh ya one of the eagles was actually below the photo on a rock. :)

Heres more pictures!

Heres a bunch more pictures!

Oh and heres some more Juneau rock climbing photos!

the second area I climbed at was the Tee Harbor Boulders. These guys have been cleaning pretty heavily and theres a lot of excellent potential in the area.

860272350_TPqia-L-1.jpg

860273748_8MKrf-L-1.jpg

860270798_veAGw-L-1.jpg

860269316_vbU5R-L-1.jpg

860267005_49mKX-L-1.jpg

860284769_53oNe-L-1.jpg

This was the first ascent of this little problem and it was a huge boulder with clean slab. If your a boulderer you could clean a new boulder every day for a month in this area.
    860277849_NvgyX-L-1.jpg

One thing I noticed about Juneau is that they have a great climbing scene. Everyone was really nice and open about the climbing and just seemed to love to be out.

Oh and this is where I was living while in Juneau
    860275520_z7RNp-L-1.jpg

Oh btw heres The Projects, the newish area near Mendenhall Glacier.

873035853_LNm8z-XL.jpg

A bunch of photos of Olcay on what I believe is the first redpoint of Hustlin' (5.12a)
    862960692_YpzzN-XL.jpg

863309155_ntPk5-XL.jpg

He took a fall then the shirt came off. Time to kick its butt.
    863471182_KHNoD-XL.jpg

For the jug!
    862974657_Jus4N-XL.jpg

862979327_o5C79-XL.jpg

And on to the finish
    862983171_FF7xJ-XL.jpg

Plenty of rocks to play around on.
    862988150_9iTwJ-XL.jpg

There are objective hazards when climbing so close to a glacier. As we were all enjoying the sunlight I heard a small block calve. Then I watched as this massive block began to sway. Soon Rob was running full speed by me and took a quick glance at me yelling "Canoe!" which was our transportation and was about to get swept away from a giant wave. Olcay and Rob managed to get the canoe up just high enough to stay out of the wave and I am pretty sure that is fastest I have ever seen anyone run over glacial rocks barefoot.

862996100_TbdJg-XL.jpg
    862992461_Yx86c-XL.jpg
    862999721_zU9tb-XL.jpg

863004431_fdzAh-XL.jpg

All is calm on the front.
    863008725_Dmtmd-XL.jpg

873032218_THGX3-XL.jpg

Oh and for you dog lovers there was also at least one well behaved dog.
    863012672_LYCHK-XL.jpg

The last climb of the day was one now known as Turkish Dihedral.
    863478174_Z476o-XL.jpg

The end of the day included a canoe ride back to the shore and a nice walk along the beach to the parking area.
    863024629_2DYZ5-XL.jpg

873029176_FFpZC-XL.jpg
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    Very nice and well done.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2010
    Pretty sweet! Every time I look around in AK lately I remember I live in the most beautiful area I've ever been in.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • jestoosjestoos Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited May 23, 2010
    Awesome pics. Great mix of action and landscape!
    "The important thing is not the camera, but the eye." --Alfred Eisenstaedt

My website:

http://www.jasonstoos.com