Options

Smugmug Gallery Displaying Differently in Different Browsers

cgraubcgraub Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited March 1, 2016 in SmugMug Support
Hi guys!

This is my first post here but I've been reading Dgrin ever since I refreshed my photo site a month ago and, I have to say, reading through all of your tips helped me invaluably in the refreshing process. I have two remaining issues, however, that I can't seem to figure out, so I thought I'd post on here to see what you guys think about them:

1) I've noticed that Chrome and Safari (on my Macbook Pro Retina) display my galleries differently than one another. Specifically, Safari seems to add in space between the 'Buy Prints' button and the large image below it while Chrome doesn't have this issue. While the issue is showing up on all of my galleries that have purchasing enabled, a quick link to one of them would be... http://www.coltongraub.com/Places/France/. Have any of you seen this issue before and know how to fix it?

2) Secondly, for some reason the social icons that I have on the desktop version of my site don't seem to appear in the mobile version. I do have some CSS code enabled currently to hide them on small screens but only to keep the site appearance consistent if someone goes on their desktop on makes the window width very small. Even without this code, the social icons do not appear on mobile (although they do on desktop with the smaller window). Any thoughts?

Thanks again you guys! You guys are really pros at all of this!

Comments

• Options
    Hero AmandaHero Amanda Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited February 29, 2016
    Hi Colton,

I'm happy to help with these concerns :)

1) Different browsers handle sites and code differently. There's not a whole lot that can be done about the spacing difference between Chrome and Safari.

2) Since the CSS to hide the social icons is still on your site, this is a tricky one to test. On my own site, I have social icons on my homepage and they show up as expected in Safari on my iPhone 6+. If you are testing this on a different type of phone or different mobile browser, we'd be happy to test this further.
    All The Best,
    Amanda
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2016
    Hi Colton,

I'm happy to help with these concerns :)

1) Different browsers handle sites and code differently. There's not a whole lot that can be done about the spacing difference between Chrome and Safari.

2) Since the CSS to hide the social icons is still on your site, this is a tricky one to test. On my own site, I have social icons on my homepage and they show up as expected in Safari on my iPhone 6+. If you are testing this on a different type of phone or different mobile browser, we'd be happy to test this further.

Hi Amanda,

Thanks for getting back to me! I completely understand on your answer to my first question, I was actually expecting it. In terms of the second one, though, I have removed the CSS from the homepage of my site that removed the social links from small desktop window sizes. Now you will be able to see how the social links appear on the desktop version of my site when sized to mobile sizes, but not on actual mobile devices (at least they don't show up on any mobile devices I have been able to try). Let me know what you find!

Thanks again!
  • Options
    TeachTeach Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2016
    I just checked the mobile version of your site on my iPhone 6 and the social icons are showing under the navigation menu. Can you try restarting your mobile device and see if that makes a difference?
    Heather
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited March 1, 2016
    cgraub wrote: »
    ...Now you will be able to see how the social links appear on the desktop version of my site when sized to mobile sizes, but not on actual mobile devices (at least they don't show up on any mobile devices I have been able to try).
    As a second sanity check, I just looked at your site on a Windows phone and the social icons show there.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2016
    Thanks Heather and Denise for your help! Despite restarting my phone and also clearing the browser cache, the social icons still do not appear on my iPhone 6 when in Safari. However, I have looked at the site on others' phones and, since the social icons work on their phones, it seems like the issue is isolated to my phone specifically on Safari so I am not going to worry too much about it.

Thanks again for your help!