cousin emily

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited November 20, 2005 in People
last night my sister had a great birethday party idea for her daughter ( my niece, my kids cousin etc... ) they went to alocal "huge" pet shop and were treated to fun with birds, lizards, sharks, tortoises, chinchillas etc... anyway this is "cousin emily" and i was told no flashes and the room was kinda dar... canon 20D with 85 mm f/1.8

i adjusted the WB in post but does it look still too yellow?? I remember moderator david saying something about yellow = good magenta = bad something like that....

or now should I go with the BW version... ???

its suppose to be a gift

troy

45226334-L.jpg

45232684-L.jpg

Comments

• debtoinedebtoine Registered Users Posts: 137 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    last night my sister had a great birethday party idea for her daughter ( my niece, my kids cousin etc... ) they went to alocal "huge" pet shop and were treated to fun with birds, lizards, sharks, tortoises, chinchillas etc... anyway this is "cousin emily" and i was told no flashes and the room was kinda dar... canon 20D with 85 mm f/1.8

i adjusted the WB in post but does it look still too yellow?? I remember moderator david saying something about yellow = good magenta = bad something like that....

troy

I like the picture, the exposure, and composition. But yes, it's still yellow.

Toine
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Good shot, and nicely presented, but yes, on my monitor way too yellow.

Sam
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    Good shot, and nicely presented, but yes, on my monitor way too yellow.

Sam
    thanx sam & toine

so do u think its a question of WB or "levels" or something else???

troy
    edited November 20, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    thanx sam & toine

so do u think its a question of WB or "levels" or something else???

troy
    Try,

I played with it a little in PS and had no problem toning down the yellow, and getting what to me looked like a natural color.

Sam
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Sam wrote:
    Try,

I played with it a little in PS and had no problem toning down the yellow, and getting what to me looked like a natural color.

Sam
    thats probably my problem... how do you tone down just one color??

troy

hold the presses, i just tried something... is this better or just the same?? to me i turned the yellow a little down ( more bluish ) I think.....

45234910-L.jpg
    edited November 20, 2005
    Troy,

Skin tones are really tough, and I am no expert at all on this, but I seem to have pretty good sucsess in RAW, but if all I have is a jpg, I have used the color balance tool along with selective color and get pretty close.

Sam
  • ScarhartScarhart Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Troy,

Switch your picture over to CMYK and then open the Info palate so you can see what levels of magenta and yellow you have in the picture. From one source, the ideal skin tone has about 3-5% more magenta than yellow.

Looking at your first post (not the one where you changed blue levels), in photoshop, yellow runs around 20% more than magenta through much of her skin.

To raise or lower the different values, open Curves (Ctrl+M or Cmd+M) and switch to Yellow. Move your cursor over the skin until you get a reading that's around 20% more yellow than magenta; hold down Ctrl and Shift and click in the picture. This puts a marker in both the yellow and magenta options in the Curves dialog box.

There are two text boxes in the left corner of the Curves box for Input and Output. Lower the Output by 20 or so, then switch over to the Magenta and raise the output a little, so the two output values have magenta at 3-5% more than yellow.

The image might appear a tad red on the screen, but should print nicely on a press. If you're using a color ink jet, you'll want to adjust the values a little differently, but the balance of yellow and magenta needs to be set for your particular printer. A little experimentation should do the trick to see what works best.

Nice picture, by the way!

Cheers,
    Scott

(If you want to experiment further, then I'd suggest using a Curves adjustment layer if you're running CS or CS2, rather than applying curves directly to the image.)
  • ScarhartScarhart Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    My source, by the way, for the CMYK technique is the excellent Photoshop CS Book for Digital Photographers, by Scott Kelby.
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Cute capture Troy.I kind of like the warm look of itthumb.gif
    I have very hard time with skin tones also.
    Search around.I think there are some tuts on this.
  • mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    I really like the 1st shot
    Its has her face beautifully framed by her hat and it's nicely cropped to boot.........................Mereimage
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Scarhart wrote:
    Switch your picture over to CMYK and then open the Info palate so you can see what levels of magenta and yellow you have in the picture. From one source, the ideal skin tone has about 3-5% more magenta than yellow.

There's no need to switch the picture over to CMYK. You can leave it in RGB (or LAB or whatever) and just change one of the Info palette readouts to CMYK using one of the eyedropper popups in the Info palette. Then keep an eye on the Info palette as you tweak your Curves adjustment layer.