May Day Ski Races at Mt Bachelor (Oregon)

Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
edited May 9, 2012 in Sports
Okay so the race was actually the weekend of April 21st but they still call it the May Day Race. This is one of my favorite races of the year. We stay in Sunriver for a couple of days, have 3 fun days of racing, and our race team gets together for a big BBQ. My daughter took 11th place in her first over jump competition soaring 33 feet off the jump (top jumpers were flying 60ish feet). As a bonus this year, we stopped at Smith Rock on the way back to Portland to do some hiking. Nice and warm 85 degrees.

The season went well despite the dry January we had in the NW. My marketing work has paid off as I've gotten myself pretty well established in the racing community. Translation - orders are up 25% over last year and I still have another month to go before orders taper off.

Here are a couple of my favorites from the race...

#1 Her Mom just ordered this shot. She was in the top 3 both days for the 11-12 year old girls
i-KqtHvwK-XL.jpg

#2 Did I say the kids get into it and have some fun as well?
i-F67vVj5-XL.jpg

#3 Check out her moustache!
i-h93rLCk-XL.jpg

#4 One of the forerunners for the GS races
i-bbcqcG5-XL.jpg

#5 Not a cloud in the sky made shooting easy. Sunny 16 ruled the day: ISO200, F/4, 1/3200 all day long. Didn't have to change a thing.
i-JRjpfvH-XL.jpg

#6 Can't forget the younger crowd
i-SvRXJ4f-XL.jpg
Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
www.mikejulianaphotography.com
Facebook

Comments

• aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    Excellent. Really well done! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif Love the crispness and color.
  • JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2012
    Great stuff, very well done
  • MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2012
    Nice shots. Hope you are charging top dollar for these. You deserve it.
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    aktse wrote: »
    Excellent. Really well done! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif Love the crispness and color.
    Thanks aktse. The funny thing is that when we are buying new racesuits for our kids I'm trying to figure out which colors will photograph the best :D
    Great stuff, very well done
    Thanks!
    MJRPHOTO wrote: »
    Nice shots. Hope you are charging top dollar for these. You deserve it.
    Probably not charging enough but having fun at it.
    Mike J

Facebook
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    Just looked at your images...yep...these are high quality images...don't cheap out...worthy of top shelf professional pricing.

Thanks for sharing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2012
    Agree with Ed911.. Really like #5. That kind of angle puts the snowsplash in contrast with the background.
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited May 5, 2012
    Wow, these are fabulous shots. bowdown.gif
    edited May 6, 2012
    Ed911 wrote: »
    Just looked at your images...yep...these are high quality images...don't cheap out...worthy of top shelf professional pricing.

Thanks for sharing.
    HoofClix wrote: »
    Agree with Ed911.. Really like #5. That kind of angle puts the snowsplash in contrast with the background.
    kdog wrote: »
    Wow, these are fabulous shots. bowdown.gif
    Thanks guys. Appreciate your kind words.
    Mike J

Facebook
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited May 8, 2012
    Love the #5 shot. Looks like a magazine shot thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • kurtwkurtw Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2012
    Wow, these are really gripping shots!
    Fantastic exposure, color, and action in all of them!

I always mean to get up to Bachelor to try shooting some racing action for the fun of it but haven't gotten to it.

NICE WORK! clap.gif

Edit: as an aside, what struck me first was how great the exposure on the subjects and snow was. I love that the key was simply good ole Sunny-16! Thanks for sharing that.
    edited May 8, 2012
    Exposure of the snow stood out for me as well.

What is "Sunny 16?"
    Mark
    edited May 8, 2012
    Mike J wrote: »
    #5 Not a cloud in the sky made shooting easy. Sunny 16 ruled the day: ISO200, F/4, 1/3200 all day long. Didn't have to change a thing.

Sunny 16 is an exposure guide for direct light on sunny days: f16, 1/100 shutter, ISO 100.
    In this case, he is at 4 stops wider aperture, 1 stop more ISO (total of 5 stops brighter), and 5 stops faster shutter (5 stops darker) --> The changes balance to a perfect Sunny 16.
    edited May 9, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    Love the #5 shot. Looks like a magazine shot thumb.gif
    Like this.... :D
    i-LSd6hn8-XL.jpg
    kurtw wrote: »
    Wow, these are really gripping shots!
    Fantastic exposure, color, and action in all of them!

I always mean to get up to Bachelor to try shooting some racing action for the fun of it but haven't gotten to it.

NICE WORK! clap.gif

Edit: as an aside, what struck me first was how great the exposure on the subjects and snow was. I love that the key was simply good ole Sunny-16! Thanks for sharing that.
    I do most of my shooting on Hood but usually get out to to Bachelor for a race or two. Let's hook up next winter for a race...
    Sunny 16 is an exposure guide for direct light on sunny days: f16, 1/100 shutter, ISO 100.
    In this case, he is at 4 stops wider aperture, 1 stop more ISO (total of 5 stops brighter), and 5 stops faster shutter (5 stops darker) --> The changes balance to a perfect Sunny 16.
    Hoofclix - you can also check this out for more on Sunny 16: http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/3762805
    The nice thing about Sunny 16 is that it doesn't get fooled by all the snow like my camera's meter does. My other trick for exposing for the snow is just to aim my camera at the snow and adjust until I get a spike at the far right.
    Mike J

Facebook
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited May 9, 2012
    Ha ha! That looks great!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited May 9, 2012
    Ah, thanks! In all my years I'd never heard that. Great starting point.. I'm going to take a look at some of my settings from when I have shot manual in direct sunlight this past season to see how close I had gotten to that totally randomly. Amazing how really right-on manual can be!
    Mark
    edited May 9, 2012
    Mike J wrote: »
    I do most of my shooting on Hood but usually get out to to Bachelor for a race or two. Let's hook up next winter for a race...

That would be fun! Thank, Mike.