My trip to Cuba

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited October 21, 2009 in Journeys
My wife and I went to Cuba two weeks ago. We went to the Province of Havana. The primary purpose of my trip was to meet my mother's family. I was born in the US and had never been there. I grew up listening to stories of the life my parents one had in Cuba. I wanted to go there and experience it myself, to see if I would feel a sense of connection to my roots.

I have to admit, I was not prepared for the conditions I found when we arrived. Much of everything is in disrepair. Honestly, there were parts of the city that looked like a war ground. Streets barely drivable, residential buildings that appeared that they had not been maintained in decades. I had been told times were tough but I never imagined to find what I saw. To be honest, on my second night there, I found myself in the bathroom of our hotel room crying from sadness. I was starting to regret of going to Cuba.

Things turned around on our third day there; I met my first relative in Cuba. It was my uncle Luis, my mother's youngest brother. I thought I would experience that awkwardness you have when you meet someone new. That somewhat nervous feeling, where you tend to be a bit guarded. That wasn't at all the case. I felt like I had known this man all my life. We spent the next 4 days with Luis and his family. We visited other family members and spent time and toured areas where my parents grew up and lived. I met uncles and aunts as well as 1st, 2nd and even 3rd cousins. Hell, old friends of my parents stopped by to greet us. Both my wife and I felt so welcomed by everyone. I finally felt that connection to Cuba I so desperately wanted all my life. I honestly felt at home in Cuba.

I left Cuba with very conflicting emotions. On the one hand, I was full of joy of meeting and connecting with my family. Seeing places I had only heard of in stories told by my parents. I got to know my family roots. But on the other hand, I also felt guilty to know that I was leaving my family in a place where they have so little and need so much. Worse, I was leaving to a place where you can have or do almost anything you can dream up, something so many of us take for granted. Part of me is very sad. However, I am consoled by seeing that my family seemed generally happy. I know that although my family is need of lot, they have adapted to life there and live happily. I am amazed how Cuban people find ways to get along no matter how easy or hard life gets in Cuba. It feels good to know I have that same spirit running in my blood.

I cherished my time there and can't wait to go back. I want to see more of Cuba next time. Maybe travel to Pinar del Rio, Cienfuego and even all the way down to Santiago de Cuba. If you do decide to go to Cuba, be prepared to find the conditions very rough. But also be prepared to fall in love with the country and it's beautiful people. I guarantee you will.

Now let's embark on a virtual tour of La Habana....

This is the Capitolio (Capital Building). Does it look familiar? It was made to look like a replica of the Capital Buidling in D.C. It is in the heart of Old Havana, about half a block from the Hotel we stayed at: Hotel Inglaterra.

655512000_BN6wy-XL.jpg

656110783_3bVmp-XL.jpg

656113343_K6Cyq-XL.jpg

Our hotel was right in the center of Old Havana, directly across the street from El Parque Central (Central Park). The hotel, "Hotel Inglaterra", is the oldest hotel in Old Havana. It was built in 1875.

656131944_kqMMq-XL.jpg

656132446_xP5YZ-XL.jpg

It's one of several hotels in Old Havana that have been restored. The lobby and dining area were really pretty.

656106797_P6tzf-XL.jpg

656107843_uvvZ8-XL.jpg
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2009
    There are beautiful old churches in Havana as well. We visited several. Unfortunately, we were only able to enter one and only for a short time because they were getting ready for some ceremony.

This is the inside of a church in Old Havana:

655526725_xGLMg-XL.jpg

This is church is in the town of Jaruco, which is about 25km from Old Havana. Jaruco was my parents home town. This is the church where my parents worshiped. They were also married in this church and it's where both my older siblings were baptized.

655909613_gF57g-XL.jpg

These next two shots are of a church in El Cotorro but I don't think it is still functioning. El Cotorro is the town my uncle lives in and is approximately 12km outside of Havana:

655786330_U5fgc-XL.jpg

655794290_e4JiX-XL.jpg

This last church is in the once opulent area of Miramar:

656126000_WFtCY-XL.jpg

Miramar was once home to the rich that lived in Havana. Now, many of the large homes are being used as locations for various embassies and offices:

656121163_4zpEy-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    You can't go to Old Havana without visiting the Malecon. The Malecon is a road and seawall that stretches for 8km along the coast of Havana. Many people fish and bathe along the wall. The locals also congregate on the wall in the evening to enjoy the afternoon breeze that comes in off the coast.

655554567_SJzy4-XL.jpg

656087552_ZLhXi-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
    At the end of the Malecon is the Castillo El Morro (Fort Morro). Its construction started in 1589 and finished in 1630 under the direction of Juan Bautista Antonelli, an Italian military engineer. It was the most important fort of the colonial times, not only from the strategic-military point of view, but also for its effectiveness as lighthouse and symbol of the city.

656086541_qoeci-XL.jpg

656088779_Bm6VU-XL.jpg

656090080_MTzKg-XL.jpg

656092720_qoYsR-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
    Every night, there is a ceremony on Castillo El Morro. At 9PM sharp, a Canon is fired:

655589334_7s3J6-XL.jpg

You get great views of Havana from this vantage point:

655586589_8342m-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
    The Castillo de la Real Fuerza (Castle of the Royal Force) is a fortress on the western side of the harbor in Havana, set back from the entrance. Originally built to defend against attack by pirates, it suffered from a poor strategic position too far inside the bay. The fortress is considered to be the oldest stone fortress in the Americas.

655647979_FjKYm-XL.jpg

655652317_TF8rM-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
    If you happen to find yourself in Old Havana, you are obligated to take a stroll down Calle Obispo (Obispo Street). Its a narrow street that travels through the heart of Old Havana's restored buildings. This was once Havana's retail district, where vendors would line the small cobblestone street selling fruits and vegetables, fabric and other fare.

655667266_FKzCX-XL.jpg

656135542_TC23o-XL.jpg

655608030_zbDy8-XL.jpg

If your looking for a place to have a drink or a bite, or you'd like to buy a few souvenirs, this is where to go.

656127400_QzabD-M.jpg

655689088_chf9A-L.jpg

656137615_QRYke-XL.jpg

The famed El Floridita restaurant is located here, it was one of Hemingway's favorite hangouts.

656146715_EctDK-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
    I can't make a post about Cuba without any pictures of the famed classic American cars. They are every where. In Old Havana, about half the cars are from the 50's and earlier. Outside of the city, there are few cars newer than 1958 on the road. It is like travel back in time.

It's surreal to see so many classic cars traveling on the road:

655697334_Hwh6r-XL.jpg

655519882_k5eNc-XL.jpg

Many are nicely restored and you can tell their owners take pride in them:

655543123_zYLfp-XL.jpg

656124624_z4RUp-XL.jpg

Most are in decent condition... "Daily Drivers"

656082464_4mAhB-XL.jpg

656083674_oFQqs-XL.jpg

And then there are those that have seen better days:

655702439_hy6Cj-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
    There is plenty of transportation in Old Havana. You can opt for the local "Off and On" buses that cost about $3 to ride all day long. Or you can go with a taxi.

There are "traditional" taxis:

656147968_g9gmi-XL.jpg

Or you can ride in a Coco Taxi (Coconut Taxi):

656109728_N7Fca-XL.jpg

656117101_joRiy-XL.jpg

656126745_qMLm8-XL.jpg

If you're daring, you can risk riding what my uncle says Cubans call the Coche de Muerte, the Death Coach because often the drivers are drunk

655882398_fwESF-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
    As I mentioned, there are beautiful buidlings and architecture in Havana:

656131365_YbpvG-XL.jpg

656128672_9z2Wu-XL.jpg

656144482_pRZV2-XL.jpg

656140598_4vfJ3-XL.jpg

656138951_WadnY-XL.jpg

But much of the country is in a bad state of disrepair:

656081128_7Qn4P-XL.jpg

655927043_MWugA-XL.jpg

655488724_tyXTP-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2009
    Great series - thanks for sharing.

Favorites are the 'classic' shots including those American cars
    655697334_Hwh6r-Th.jpg

and

655702439_hy6Cj-Th.jpg

E
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    That's probably the most I have ever seen of cuba. I love the blurry tunnel shot.
    eoren1 wrote:
    Great series - thanks for sharing.

Favorites are the 'classic' shots including those American cars
    655697334_Hwh6r-Th.jpg

and

655702439_hy6Cj-Th.jpg

E

Thanks... The old cars were really amazing. It's almost surreal to see so many of them. It's quite amazing how they keep them running. Many of them have Russian engines in them or have home made parts kepping them running. My uncle is a mechanic there and he manufactures break pads from scratch in a small workshop in his backyard. It was interesting to see how people would come to his home to pick up pads or drop them off for him to repair. There is an entire underground network like this, where you can buy or barter for just about anything.

My Smug Site
    That's probably the most I have ever seen of cuba. I love the blurry tunnel shot.

I got tons more. I left myself some room on the first page of the thread and I plan to add more pictures today so stay tuned.

My Smug Site
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    Alex, thanks for an awesome expose' into a world few of us have ever seen. thumb.gif The old cars on the streets is just surreal, like a time machine.

Keep 'em coming!!

Cheers,
    -joel
    kdog wrote:
    Alex, thanks for an awesome expose' into a world few of us have ever seen. thumb.gif The old cars on the streets is just surreal, like a time machine.

Keep 'em coming!!

Cheers,
    -joel

Thanks Joel... glad you enjoyed them. Yeah, it was definitely an experience I won't soon forget. Everything about the place is surreal.

My Smug Site
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    Wow! Great series.
    My husband is Cuban and he has never been to Cuba, I will go home and show him all these photos. We hope to take the kids there soon before it undergoes any major changes.

Like the others, the cars are my favorite, but to see such great photos of Malecon Mile and all the architecture, well that's just awesome. Can't wait to scroll through these again slowly.
    You have to go back and capture some of the musicians and people dancing on your next trip:)

I have a soft spot already of your "Escuela Primaria-Jose Marti" photothumb.gif

Can't wait to see more.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Very nice photos, i really enjoyed looking at those cars and architecture !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    Wow! Great series.
    My husband is Cuban and he has never been to Cuba, I will go home and show him all these photos. We hope to take the kids there soon before it undergoes any major changes.

Like the others, the cars are my favorite, but to see such great photos of Malecon Mile and all the architecture, well that's just awesome. Can't wait to scroll through these again slowly.
    You have to go back and capture some of the musicians and people dancing on your next trip:)

I have a soft spot already of your "Escuela Primaria-Jose Marti" photothumb.gif

Can't wait to see more.

Thanks Liz... glad you enjoyed the photos. We spent so much time with my family that we never got a chance to go out to a night club. Next time. I did get a picture of some musicians and other people which I will update the thread with later.

Stayed tuned.

My Smug Site
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    Fabulous look into a Havana. Thanks for sharing. Your photos are all so well done. I particularly like seeing the architecture and the old american cars.clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    dlplumer wrote:
    Fabulous look into a Havana. Thanks for sharing. Your photos are all so well done. I particularly like seeing the architecture and the old american cars.clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Thanks Dan! :D

My Smug Site
    You will find many fine Cuban people along your walk on the Calle Obispo and else where in Cuba. In all the places I have travelled to, I have never felt more welcome or safe than in Cuba. Cubans are a very warm and outgoing people and they love to talk to tourists, especially Americans.

655966502_cETcV-XL.jpg

655886124_hTbpY-XL.jpg

655503056_DNy5e-XL.jpg

655515774_rbyzK-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
    edited September 23, 2009
    All around Havana you will find beautiful marble and bronze sculptures that serve as monuments to patriots of the past.

656131944_kqMMq-XL.jpg

658389018_ZMnRe-XL.jpg

658398013_wYnFd-XL.jpg

655501197_9GtPo-XL.jpg

655495475_XQX6t-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
    My wife and I are dog lovers and there is an abundance of dogs on the street. Some have owners but most are strays. All were very friendly and adorable... well, almost all of them:

655796504_DeUSZ-XL.jpg

656063372_wEPYR-XL.jpg

656136766_QqCAh-XL.jpg

656145875_XRUs3-XL.jpg

656145230_KaCRJ-XL.jpg

This is not a dog, obviously. It's a "Jutia", a large tree dwelling rodent that is indigenous to Cuba. They eat only vegetation and are considered a delicacy by most Cubans. When I was a child, my father would tell me stories of when he would venture out into the country to hunt Jutias. This guy was just a baby but they grow to be about 20lbs. BTW, I didn't eat Jutia while I was in Cuba:

656077178_pv3ig-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    My wife and I are dog lovers and there is an abundance of dogs on the street. Some have owners but most are strays. All were very friendly and adorable... well, almost all of them:

656136766_QqCAh-XL.jpg

Fantastic images, Alex! I very much enjoyed looking through them. Man, the picture above is so full of character!
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

Fantastic images, Alex! I very much enjoyed looking through them. Man, the picture above is so full of character!

Thanks Allen. Cuba is such an amazing place. The whole place is full of character. Honestly, that is probably the best word I could choose to describe Cuba: character.

This photo is also one of my favorites. It is such a good representation of life there.

I have different crop, below, but I think I like the portrait shot better. Do you agree?

656137251_Rpjnx-XL.jpg

Here is another favorite of mine:

656085745_psHya-XL.jpg

My Smug Site
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    I have different crop, below, but I think I like the portrait shot better. Do you agree?

656137251_Rpjnx-M.jpg

No question. In the portrait version, one of the things that gives the image so much character is the old balcony and the clothes that are hanging from it in the upper left corner of the image. I also think that the building in the far background completes the image so well.

I like your other favorite too. Awesome!
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

Cubano,
    I got to enjoy your post again with the addtion of the people shots.
    You are really making me want to go there--My favorite shot is the one of the old man on the park bench with his arms thrown up--I can practically hear him talking that Guajiro Cuban spanish "Cono pero que tu haces hijo!".

BTW I have emailed the link to this thread to my mother-in-law, and your thread is currently circulating a large portion of NYC and then detouring to Miami. Great series.

Just FYI my husband's family is from Oriente/Puerto Padre.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited September 24, 2009
    Cubano,
    I got to enjoy your post again with the addtion of the people shots.
    You are really making me want to go there--My favorite shot is the one of the old man on the park bench with his arms thrown up--I can practically hear him talking that Guajiro Cuban spanish "Cono pero que tu haces hijo!".

BTW I have emailed the link to this thread to my mother-in-law, and your thread is currently circulating a large portion of NYC and then detouring to Miami. Great series.

Just FYI my husband's family is from Oriente/Puerto Padre.

Liz,

I'm glad you took another look and found the additional pictures. I added them because you did mention wanted to see people. Glad you enjoyed them.

You were close to what the old man on the bench was saying, but he was actually directing it as his partner who didn't want to be photographed. More like "Cono... mira que eres comemierda. Deja que el muchacho te tire una photo."

HAHA... I sent the pictures to a Cuban friend of mine at work and he said that his sister saw the email and wanted my permission to start circulating them to all the Cubans in Miami. I don't usually watermark my pictures but I asked him to hold off until I do because I am curious to see if they make their way back to me or someone that knows me.

Very cool.

My Smug Site
    edited September 24, 2009
    HAHA... I sent the pictures to a Cuban friend of mine at work and he said that his sister saw the email and wanted my permission to start circulating them to all the Cubans in Miami. I don't usually watermark my pictures but I asked him to hold off until I do because I am curious to see if they make their way back to me or someone that knows me.

Very cool.

Oh man,
    I feel so bad about not getting your permission first-I didn't honestly even think about it. Just liked the pictures so much I wanted to share.
    I wish I could remedy that--I told my MIL this morn not to send it to more people yet, but what's out is out already.
    Grrrrrr sorry about that.

PS: "Comemierda" I laughed so hard when I read that--now that's Cuban!
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited September 25, 2009
    I added a few more pictures on my first set of original posts and I thought I would finish the travelogue off with just a few more random favorites of mine:

655491612_io79B-XL.jpg
    "Neighborhood watch"

655508107_ZTBNT-XL.jpg
    "Farmers Market, Cuban Style"

655561805_4QNht-XL.jpg
    "Ad Men"

655764264_ponzM-XL.jpg
    "Rush Hour"

655804559_mChoe-XL.jpg
    "Cuban Prairie"

655755122_nbs2J-XL.jpg
    "Skyscrapers"

656080213_k77QB-XL-1.jpg
    "City Walk"

656086006_Neax4-O.jpg
    "Commuting"

656084854_8p8RQ-XL-1.jpg
    "Street Smarts"

656149396_MKdzD-XL.jpg
    "The Capital"

Hope you enjoyed your virtual trip through the Province of Havana. I hope to return in two years and visit other areas of this unique place.

- Alex

My Smug Site