Max Photos in a gallery

keiths2112keiths2112 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited April 26, 2011 in SmugMug Support
I read that smart galleries have a limit of 1000 photos. Is there a way to create a gallery with more than 1000 photos? For example, I want a gallery of all the pictures of "Uncle Joe". I thought if I tagged photos then I would be able to create a smart gallery using the tagging keyword. But I see I will hit a limit once I reach 1000.

Can you create a link to the keyword gallery? The gallery created from the keywords? <mysite>/keyword/Uncle Joe? Would this reach some limit?

Granted searching through over 1000 pics in a smart gallery or whatever may not be optimal, but just want to know what the limits are so I can plan. Might think that I tag like "Uncle Joe 2009", "Uncle Joe 2010", etc.

If anyone has lots of pictures like that, how do you organize for quick lookup?

Thanks!

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    I'd suggest rethinking your layout to keep the number of images per gallery below 200. Unless the images are in some natural order that makes it easy for the viewer to find the relevant portion of the gallery with minimal effort, 200 images will still be around 10 pages of images in the Smugmug view (more than that on smaller screens) and that's quite a few for one person to productively look through. More images than that starts getting pretty daunting and further categorization on your part (by year, by event, by person, etc...) would make the viewing experience a lot more productive. In my sports event galleries, I try to keep the images targeted for a particular viewer to less than 100 and try to do enough sub-organization into separate galleries to make it that way. Even when there are 100, I try to sort the images so the most important or best images are first in the gallery. I simply don't expect a viewer to wade through more than a few pages of images.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Rogue 1Rogue 1 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 150 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2011
    Hi Keith -

JF has pretty much hit it on the head - putting a thousands of photos in a single gallery can be a nighmare for your guests (and yourself) to scroll through - just too much input -

If you'd like some advice on categorization, and how to best utilize the hierarchy, don't hesitate to shoot us Heroes and email on the help desk - help @ smugmug.com -

We'll be happy to guide you -

Seán
    Support Hero
    http://www.smugmug.com/help
  • keiths2112keiths2112 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 26, 2011
    Thanks for the guidance, I think I will have to do it per year or couple of years. I have photos broken down by year and also by subject, but some subjects have gotten quite large, so it sounds like subject+timerange keyword might be how to handle it.

Just wanted to check with the experts as I figured someone else had already solved this issue some way.

You guys rock! thumb.gif