Options

Sony A700 & Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 Lens Impressions & Sample Photos

BimmerBobBimmerBob Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
edited December 16, 2008 in Cameras
Hi Everyone,

I recently upgraded to the Sony A700 from and A100. After careful research, I bit the bullet and bought the Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 G lens. I sollicited opinions in this thread and my thanks go out to Art Scott, Ziggy53, davemj98, ront, and everyone else for their help and guidance.

The difference between the two camera bodies and going from the Sigma 75-300mm to the Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 G lens is NIGHT AND DAY!! Below are a few pics from my new setup.

Like many of us here, I'm just an amateur photo enthusiast trying to improve, so my expectations of results are probably somewhat less than the professionals here. Compared to pics I was taking even weeks ago, these photos are amazing.

Bob

Until now, I have been completely inept at successfully capturing pictures of the moon. This was my first attempt with the A700 and Sony 70-200mm
web.jpg

The quality of the Bokeh looks incredible to me. I was out in front of my house playing with the camera and saw one of my sons (on the left) with a friend walking up the sidewalk. I just focused on the birch tree and took the pic. The grass in the neighbor's yard looks very creamy, to me.
web.jpg

The Sony 70-200 camera/lens seems to work well up close, as well. This is a pic I took from about 3 feet of a flyer on the counter of a friend's shop. Again, I was holding the camera without a tripod The Sony image stabilization seems pretty efficient. Steve Munch (Munch Photos) was recently voted #1 sports photographer in Ventura County, CA, and specializes in golf, surfing & motorcycle photography. You can find his portfolio here.
Again this was with the A700 & Sony 70-200mm hand held.
web.jpg

The Sony 70-200mm seems to work pretty well for portraits, too. I snapped this pic of my wife in our living room. I just slapped on my Gary Fong Lightsphere and took this pic without a tripod. Again, I'm just a newbie, but it looks pretty good to me. :lust Here skin looks a bit red, but that is her natural skin tone.
web.jpg
Bob DeLellis
Sony A700, Sony 70-200mm f/2.8 G, Sigma 18-50mm F2.8, Minolta 50mm f/1.7
Bimmer Performance Store Gallery

Comments

• Options
    rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Looks good to me Bob. I am a bit jealous of your lens though:D.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,850 moderator
    edited December 8, 2008
    Bob,

Congratulations on the new equipment. It looks like it's working nicely for you. clap.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    sherijohnsonsherijohnson Registered Users Posts: 310 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    Thank you for sharing these images and details. Experimenting like this is exactly the way to learn all the cool stuff you can do.
    Sheri Johnson
    Atlanta, GA USA
    my smugmug
    Atlanta Modern Wedding Photographer
    SheriJohnsonPhotography.com
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    Hi Ron
    ront wrote:
    Looks good to me Bob. I am a bit jealous of your lens though:D.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Thanks, Ron. Not bad for a newbie, huh? Unfortunately, I big AMEX bill comes standard with every big lens. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Bob
    Bob DeLellis
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2008
    Thanks
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Bob,

Congratulations on the new equipment. It looks like it's working nicely for you. clap.gif

Hi Ziggy,

Thanks very much. Now, I'm spoiled and expect all my shots to look as good as with the 70-200. bowdown.gif

I don't know if anyone tells you, but you do a great job here. You are supportive and knowledgeable, and a big help.
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Bob
    Bob DeLellis
  • Options
    waldhaus1waldhaus1 Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    sony 70-200 f2.8
    BimmerBob wrote:
    Hi Ziggy,

Thanks very much. Now, I'm spoiled and expect all my shots to look as good as with the 70-200. bowdown.gif

I don't know if anyone tells you, but you do a great job here. You are supportive and knowledgeable, and a big help.
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Bob
    I have had the lens for a year and a half now and love it. I am convinced that good glass is as important as the camera sensor.
    Waldhaus
  • Options
    davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited December 16, 2008
    Again
    I am forced to say;
    "I told you so!":ivar bowdown.gifwings.gif
    Dave
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.