Options

NEW: 5x7 Folded Cards

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited December 3, 2012 in SmugMug Support
We've updated our Card Maker to include gorgeous 5x7 folded cards :clap

412656592_nvMfF-XL.jpg

Just in time for the holidays, a ton of great designs to choose from.

See them all Here. Help & Info :D

Keep checking back to the card maker, because there will be cards for Baby Announcements, Birthdays, Valentine's, Party Invitations, Mother's Day, and more :D There are even "blank" templates so you pros can put your own photo on the front, and your own message inside (e.g., "Thank You" ) :D

We'll have Release Notes updated as soon as possible :deal

FAQS:

Q: I'm a pro, can I pro price these?
A: No, not at this time, sorry. Here's a neat trick though!

Q: Why can't some of my images work on certain cards?
A: Our cards are awesomely high quality, and the photos need to match :) That means, that for 5x7 cards, photos would have to be 2000 pixels on each side or larger to fit on every card in every possible photo opening. Some cards have openings that will support smaller images, but at 2000x2000 and larger, you'll be safe for 'em all :thumb

Q: Can I make a custom card of my own design?
A: You bet! For each side, Specs are, 2000 pixels by 2800 pixels, and here's a visual aid to help. Once you upload your custom design, you can order it as a 5x7 folded card if you are logged in.

Comments

• Options
    justusjustus Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    5 x 7 folded cards
    Smugmug rocks! These are perfect, funny, able to be personalized :ivar and plenty to choose from!

I am so happy!
    Linda
    Justus Photography
    www.lindasherrill.com
  • Options
    justusjustus Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    Whoops....cards?
    Now I'm a little confused. I went to upload a photo onto one of the new 5 x 7 cards, and it says my photo is too small to buy this item.....but I can get a 36 x 36 mounted canvas with the same photo?

Am I missing something? headscratch.gif
    Linda
    Justus Photography
    www.lindasherrill.com
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    WooHoo! wings.gif

What is the timeline for blank templates? I am sooooo excited!

ann
  • Options
    hyachtshyachts Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Just in time for the holidays

Not if you're married to my wife, it's not in time. *sigh* Next year...

They look great though.
  • Options
    hyachtshyachts Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    So I went through the exercise of building a card, and I'm confused. At the end of the tool I chose the Build It (just window shopping) option. The result looked very pretty, and I now see a static image of the card in my "My SmugMug Creations" gallery, but if I wanted to go ahead and buy that card at a later date...? I tried going through the "Buy" button but the options there are the same as for a photo. I even tried going back in to "Create A Card" from that image, but that only gave me the option to use the image of my card as an image in a card. While that is an interesting thought in its own right, it's not what I want.

Is the image of my card just there to remind me of the options I used so I can recreate it manually?
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2008
    justus wrote:
    Now I'm a little confused. I went to upload a photo onto one of the new 5 x 7 cards, and it says my photo is too small to buy this item.....but I can get a 36 x 36 mounted canvas with the same photo?

Am I missing something? headscratch.gif
    We insist on a lot of pixels in the photos for the cards, these are the highest quality thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2008
    hyachts wrote:
    So I went through the exercise of building a card, and I'm confused. At the end of the tool I chose the Build It (just window shopping) option. The result looked very pretty, and I now see a static image of the card in my "My SmugMug Creations" gallery, but if I wanted to go ahead and buy that card at a later date...? I tried going through the "Buy" button but the options there are the same as for a photo. I even tried going back in to "Create A Card" from that image, but that only gave me the option to use the image of my card as an image in a card. While that is an interesting thought in its own right, it's not what I want.

Is the image of my card just there to remind me of the options I used so I can recreate it manually?
    you can buy it as a 5x7 card anytime from your gallery. Add it to your cart, choose "Cards" and go :)
  • Options
    81dollar81dollar Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    you guys are killing me... when can we expect to see Pro pricing? Or is the answer still "not in time for this holiday season"?

don't get me wrong, I certainly appreciate the addition of new products, but the pros need more than just new products- we need to be able to sell them easily to our customers as well...
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2008
    81dollar wrote:
    you guys are killing me... when can we expect to see Pro pricing? Or is the answer still "not in time for this holiday season"?

don't get me wrong, I certainly appreciate the addition of new products, but the pros need more than just new products- we need to be able to sell them easily to our customers as well...
    Not this holiday season. Sorry. It's pretty complicated and we'll get there with these but not straight away.

I'm really sorry.
  • Options
    sbresslersbressler Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    We've updated our Card Maker to include gorgeous 5x7 folded cards clap.gif

Just in time for the holidays, a ton of great designs to choose from.

See them all Here. Help & Info :D

Keep checking back to the card maker, because there will be cards for Baby Announcements, Birthdays, Valentine's, Party Invitations, Mother's Day, and more :D There are even "blank" templates so you pros can put your own photo on the front, and your own message inside (e.g., "Thank You" ) :D

We'll have Release Notes updated as soon as possible deal.gif

FAQS:

Q: I'm a pro, can I pro price these?
    A: No, not at this time, sorry. Here's a neat trick though!

I submitted this to support, but I just wanted to mention it to the community: Can I suggest that you create Rosh Hashanah cards? They are far more popular than Chanukkah cards - in fact I've never heard of anyone sending a Chanukkah card. Granted people won't be sending Rosh Hashanah cards until next fall, but they make far more sense.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2008
    sbressler wrote:
    I submitted this to support, but I just wanted to mention it to the community: Can I suggest that you create Rosh Hashanah cards? They are far more popular than Chanukkah cards - in fact I've never heard of anyone sending a Chanukkah card. Granted people won't be sending Rosh Hashanah cards until next fall, but they make far more sense.
    Thanks we love input thumb.gif
  • Options
    Competition ImageCompetition Image Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 19, 2008
    Still can't order 5x7 folded card
    Andy wrote:
    We insist on 300DPI for the cards, these are the highest quality thumb.gif

Andy,

I read the thread above, but I still can't order a 5x7 folded card for my pic ("this photo is too small to buy this item"). Link is below -- it's 3648x2736 at 314dpi. I can order a 4x8 though. Might be a lack of understanding from a beginner :-(

Thanks in advance for any help, I really appreciate it and the new order options!

http://competition.smugmug.com/photos/409701221_s7vfq-XL-2.jpg
  • Options
    LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2008
    These are so great! wings.gif I've been mulling over what to do for my Christmas cards this year. Problem solved! :D

I especially love the more graphic design–type cards (e.g., the reindeer "believe," "let it snow"). Simple and gorgeous. Kudos to the designers. thumb.gif
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 19, 2008
    Andy,

I read the thread above, but I still can't order a 5x7 folded card for my pic ("this photo is too small to buy this item"). Link is below -- it's 3648x2736 at 314dpi. I can order a 4x8 though. Might be a lack of understanding from a beginner :-(

Thanks in advance for any help, I really appreciate it and the new order options!

http://competition.smugmug.com/photos/409701221_s7vfq-XL-2.jpg

Since the card that is produce is printed on both sides, you need to either generate an image yourself to the required output specification or use the card editor (Buy->Create Card) to create one
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    EmajinationEmajination Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited November 19, 2008
    How would I determine what the DPI number is? When looking at the picture info, I don't see DPI as an option.

Thank you,
    devbobo wrote:
    Since the card that is produce is printed on both sides, you need to either generate an image yourself to the required output specification or use the card editor (Buy->Create Card) to create one
  • Options
    Competition ImageCompetition Image Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 20, 2008
    devbobo wrote:

clap.gif Thanks devbobo! I'll have to play around with it, but that works great!
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    How would I determine what the DPI number is? When looking at the picture info, I don't see DPI as an option.

Thank you,
    Forget DPI :D Just look at the min pixel dimensions I state in the FAQs in post 1 deal.gif
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    I don't have printing/shopping cart enabled on any of my galleries so I'm not seeing a buy button. I would like a buy button to show when I'm logged in, what is blocking this in my CSS please ?

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    caroline wrote:
    I don't have printing/shopping cart enabled on any of my galleries so I'm not seeing a buy button. I would like a buy button to show when I'm logged in, what is blocking this in my CSS please ?

Caroline

You may have to make a unlisted gallery with shopping enabled. Then jsut put your pictures in there.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    caroline wrote:

Caroline
    Caroline, printing must be enabled at the gallery customizing level, then you'll see the buy button thumb.gif
  • Options
    GRBlizzGRBlizz Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    I love this tool, and I have ordered a test-box of cards. One piece of input: on the Christmas Card style that says "Believe", you can't actually fill in the text box without having the text generate running into the text box below.

I don't know how to explain it better, but here is a generated card with that problem: http://sunnyshots.smugmug.com/gallery/6590990_8z7Ke#420856311_SQbBn

I did a workaround by using less text, but it would be nice to have it fixed.

One other suggestion - maybe add a couple of more religious Christmas themed cards - something with a star of Bethlehem, or He is Born, or something that reflects the reason for the season. I went with "believe", but even that is rather secular in graphic.
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Caroline, printing must be enabled at the gallery customizing level, then you'll see the buy button thumb.gif

Ooooh, just tried it out, very nice, I'mm sure you will have lots of very happy customers :-)
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    cmalcmal Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    Used Andy's template
    After much struggle trying to figure out how to make a custom card I found Andy's template. I made my card with Photoshop, uploaded it, then orderd it right from the shopping cart. I'll let you know how it comes out when I receive it.
    421144381_KJvdq-M.jpg

Thanks Andy for all your help.clap.gif
    Please visit my galleries: http://cynthiamalbon.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2008
    cmal wrote:
    After much struggle trying to figure out how to make a custom card I found Andy's template. I made my card with Photoshop, uploaded it, then orderd it right from the shopping cart. I'll let you know how it comes out when I receive it.
    Thanks Andy for all your help.clap.gif
    Cynthia,

Very nice card design! Please have a look at the top left part of it. It looks as if you have accidentally mirrored the image. The text looks flipped (best Christmas wishes). If you've all ready placed the order, email us at our help desk and we'll see if we can still catch the order.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    I see that, but I won't bother trying to correct it on this one, it's just a sample to check out the card quality. Thanks for pointing it out though, it would have been a disaster if I had placed the multiple order. I'm going to have to be more careful in the future. I'm somewhat dyxlexic and have a bad habit of making theses types of errors.

quote=rainforest1155]Cynthia,

Very nice card design! Please have a look at the top left part of it. It looks as if you have accidentally mirrored the image. The text looks flipped (best Christmas wishes). If you've all ready placed the order, email us at our help desk and we'll see if we can still catch the order.[/quote]
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    Still having a bit of trouble with the file size on the custom 5x7 folded cards in the card creator. This file for example: http://cynthiamalbon.smugmug.com/photos/421199452_ZUCnG-M-1.jpg

The size is 2804 x 3894, but it say's it too small. All my pictures seem to be too small even when they are well above what was specified.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    cmal wrote:
    Still having a bit of trouble with the file size on the custom 5x7 folded cards in the card creator. This file for example: http://cynthiamalbon.smugmug.com/photos/421199452_ZUCnG-M-1.jpg

The size is 2804 x 3894, but it say's it too small. All my pictures seem to be too small even when they are well above what was specified.
    I can make any card with that photo:

20081120-eic4rf6bs2phmbfxwfussd5257.jpg

Can you try again? Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I can make any card with that photo:

I can make one with the templates but not a custom
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    I've discovered something weird. If I start with the custom option it doesn't work (says file is too small) If I start with the templates and then switch to the custom while working in the card creator it works.
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2008
    cmal wrote:
    I've discovered something weird. If I start with the custom option it doesn't work (says file is too small)

I started right away with the custom option
    20081121-8p9xbxinf1dpm78aaajic1f9hd.jpg

can you close, reopen, and try again?