Options

Keyboard Shortcuts would be *AWESOME*

darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
edited August 27, 2009 in SmugMug Support
SmugMug should implement single-key shortcuts a la Lightroom (hello Wade) or Gmail keyboard shortcuts. If you're in a gallery and you're not in a text input field, the keyboard shortcuts would be "live".

You can already flip through your photos quickly with the left- and right-arrow keys. You can also go forward and backwards through pages of thumbnails by holding down shift and using left/right arrows (cool, huh)?

Even cooler would be if the "H" key hid the photo you were currently looking at.

And how great would it be if "D" prompted you to delete the photo, and if instead of taking you to a completely different page, it simply popped up an overlaid window to confirm it (OK or Cancel).

Think about how quickly you could whiz through an album, hiding and deleting images, thereby saving SmugMug valuable bandwidth and storage!

"R" could fire up Replace, "A" would take you to Arrange, "C" would Crop, and so on.

I've posted this to the always-growing Feature Request thread, but would like to keep this thread separate for further discussion. (Thanks Andy!)

Comments

• Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    Oh one thing I wish SmugMug would fix about the existing left/right arrow key shortcuts, do *NOT* trap my Alt-Left and Alt-Right keystrokes (PC) or Command-Left and Command-Right keystrokes (Mac).

Those are reserved for going forward and backwards in my browser. You should be able to trap for unmodified Left/Right keystrokes without also catching the Alt/Command-modified ones.

Proof that it can be done:
    http://www.dolem.com/lytebox/

Thanks.
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited November 6, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    Oh one thing I wish SmugMug would fix about the existing left/right arrow key shortcuts, do *NOT* trap my Alt-Left and Alt-Right keystrokes (PC) or Command-Left and Command-Right keystrokes (Mac).

Those are reserved for going forward and backwards in my browser. You should be able to trap for unmodified Left/Right keystrokes without also catching the Alt/Command-modified ones.

Proof that it can be done:
    http://www.dolem.com/lytebox/

Thanks.
    I don't believe we trap cmd-L/R. Just tried it on my galleries and it worked as expected (browser fwd/back).
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    heningerheninger Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited November 6, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    SmugMug should implement single-key shortcuts a la Lightroom (hello Wade) or Gmail keyboard shortcuts. If you're in a gallery and you're not in a text input field, the keyboard shortcuts would be "live".

You can already flip through your photos quickly with the left- and right-arrow keys. You can also go forward and backwards through pages of thumbnails by holding down shift and using left/right arrows (cool, huh)?

Even cooler would be if the "H" key hid the photo you were currently looking at.

And how great would it be if "D" prompted you to delete the photo, and if instead of taking you to a completely different page, it simply popped up an overlaid window to confirm it (OK or Cancel).

Think about how quickly you could whiz through an album, hiding and deleting images, thereby saving SmugMug valuable bandwidth and storage!

"R" could fire up Replace, "A" would take you to Arrange, "C" would Crop, and so on.

I've posted this to the always-growing Feature Request thread, but would like to keep this thread separate for further discussion. (Thanks Andy!)

Yes. Something on my mind...

FWIW, I don't see us trapping Cmd-Arrow either...

However, you might be seeing the fact that each photo you view in a gallery is a forward/back step in the history. Keep going and you'll hit previous sites in your history. This is just normal browser behavior, as the same thing happens with the back/forward arrows.
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    Negative. I'll make you guys a video to demo the problem. This occurs for me on Windows XP with Firefox, IE 7, and Chrome, and on Mac with Safari.

You guys must have a Windows box kicking around *somewhere*, right?

Remember that's what everyone else has, even if all of you l33t developers only use Apples. :-P
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    Negative. I'll make you guys a video to demo the problem. This occurs for me on Windows XP with Firefox, IE 7, and Chrome, and on Mac with Safari.

You guys must have a Windows box kicking around *somewhere*, right?

Remember that's what everyone else has, even if all of you l33t developers only use Apples. :-P
    I dont have vmware on this laptop so i'll check winders later, but FF3 and Safari Mac both behave as exptected with cmd + arrow. :shrug
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2008
    Well crap. I tested and videoed the bug in Windows XP for Firefox 3 and IE 7, but couldn't replicate the bug on OS X with Safari. So yeah, nevermind the Mac. (Hey, that's good advice generally!)

Anyways, here's a gallery with videos of me reproducing the bug:

http://darryl.smugmug.com/gallery/6485907_BitPg#411779384_spjb5

I took a peek at the smugmug_gallery-min...js file, and I found this tidbit for moving to the last/previous photo:
    var whichPhoto;
    if(e.keyCode==37){
    whichPhoto=prevLBPhoto;
    }else 
    if(e.keyCode==39){
    whichPhoto=nextLBPhoto;
    }else{
    return true;
    }

As well as this for moving to the next/previous page of thumbs:
    function keyHandler(e){
    if(e.keyCode===9){
    if(!product){
    return;
    }else{
    var sel=uiCtx.selectedItem,sib=e.shiftKey?sel.previousSibling:sel.nextSibling;
    while(sib){
    if(Dom.hasClass(sib,'product')){
    product=findParentProduct(sib,sib);
    productClickHandler();
    return;
    }

So, uhm, that makes me dizzy, but I think it has something to do with watching for the shiftKey, and some odd interaction with the correspondent altKey event in Windows browsers. (FWIW it also happens on the latest build of Google's Chrome.)
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2008
    Oh, in perusing the code though, I realized that "H" key already does hide. And I discovered this almost 3 months ago, on my birthday!

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=102781

Relevant code:
    YE.addListener(document,"keyup",function(e){
    if(YE.getTarget(e).nodeName.toLowerCase()==="input"||YE.getTarget(e).nodeName.toLowerCase()==="textarea"||e.metaKey){
    return;
    }
    if(e.keyCode===72&&YD.inDocument('hidePhotoTool')){
    hidePhoto(null,ImageID,ImageKey);
    }
    });
    function hidePhoto(status,ImageID,ImageKey){
    var postArray=[];
    postArray.ImageID=ImageID;
    postArray.ImageKey=ImageKey;
    if(status===true){
    postArray.Action="Hide";
    }else if(status===false){
    postArray.Action="Unhide";
    }else{
    var hidePhotoBox=YD.get('hidePhotoTool');
    if(hidePhotoBox.checked){
    hidePhotoBox.checked=false;
    postArray.Action="Unhide";
    }else{
    hidePhotoBox.checked=true;
    postArray.Action="Hide";}
    }

Hrm... I wonder if this has anything to do with the Alt-key problem.
  • Options
    edited November 7, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    I took a peek at the smugmug_gallery-min...js file, and I found this tidbit for moving to the last/previous photo:
    Thats the left and right arrow keys for moving between photos
    darryl wrote:
    As well as this for moving to the next/previous page of thumbs:
    that actually captures the tab key for tabbing between products in the gallery cart :-)

I fired up VMware earlier and saw that the alt + arrow doesnt work, so something is going on there. I'll look in the code when i get a chance to see whats going on with the alt key.

FWIW, S, M, L, 1, 2, 3, O all bring up their respective sizes in lightbox, x closes lightbox and shift + arrow key pages through photos.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2008
    darryl wrote:

That's actually been around for quite a while. I've dealt with a few mails to the help desk where folks have complained that they have 83 images logged in, but only 82 logged out... invariably you find an image in the middle somewhere that is hidden... quite often, the first letter of the caption is an h.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2008
    bigwebguy wrote:
    Thats the left and right arrow keys for moving between photos

that actually captures the tab key for tabbing between products in the gallery cart :-)

I fired up VMware earlier and saw that the alt + arrow doesnt work, so something is going on there. I'll look in the code when i get a chance to see whats going on with the alt key.

FWIW, S, M, L, 1, 2, 3, O all bring up their respective sizes in lightbox, x closes lightbox and shift + arrow key pages through photos.

Another related annoyance -- you're somehow also trapping for Ctrl-L, which normally should highlight the address bar in Firefox, but if you're viewing a gallery in SmugMug, it shows the Large view and *then* highlights the address bar.
  • Options
    edited November 14, 2008
    cabbey wrote:
    That's actually been around for quite a while. I've dealt with a few mails to the help desk where folks have complained that they have 83 images logged in, but only 82 logged out... invariably you find an image in the middle somewhere that is hidden... quite often, the first letter of the caption is an h.

This is why keyboard shortcuts should be an optional power user function, as they are in Gmail (http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6594).

Also, it'd be helpful if you guys actually *DOCUMENTED* these shortcuts, as Gmail does.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 14, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    Also, it'd be helpful if you guys actually *DOCUMENTED* these shortcuts, as Gmail does.
    Asked some team members to do this when you first posted this thread, please stay tuned.
  • Options
    com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    request for "D" hotkey for delete, please! :D
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    com3 wrote:
    request for "D" hotkey for delete, please! :D
    http://smugmug.uservoice.com thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    Andy wrote:

but that requires me to sign up... i'm already signed up to dgrin..and smugmug...and advrider...shouldn't that be enough?
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    com3 wrote:
    but that requires me to sign up... i'm already signed up to dgrin..and smugmug...and advrider...shouldn't that be enough?
    Use your smuggy credentials, how hard is that? :D
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    Andy wrote:

oh.... heh. shhh...don't tell anyone i'm stupid, m'kay? mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2009
    Andy wrote:

Wait. My SmugMug login is supposed to work at http://smugmug.uservoice.com/ ?

That doesn't work for me.

Or are you proposing I use the same login/password there?
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    darryl wrote:

I used OpenID on the login page, specified my Smugmug homepage URL to the OpenID prompt and then got in via an OpenID login using my Smugmug credentials. My first practical use of Smugmug's OpenID support.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2009
    darryl wrote:

put your http://nickname.smugmug.com here

20090826-ns9xwrdbx7erdcy8n5f7skkqpq.jpg

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    I used OpenID on the login page, specified my Smugmug homepage URL to the OpenID prompt and then got in via an OpenID login using my Smugmug credentials. My first practical use of Smugmug's OpenID support.

Wow, I would never have guessed to do that. Um, Andy -- care to document this in the sticky?

Thanks jfriend!
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2009
    darryl wrote:
    Wow, I would never have guessed to do that. Um, Andy -- care to document this in the sticky?

Thanks jfriend!
    Yeah, I only tried it out of curiosity because I remembered from several years ago that Smugmug implemented OpenID and I saw a reference to OpenID on the uservoice login page. Once you know about it (that's the hard part), it's slick to use.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    Yeah, I only tried it out of curiosity because I remembered from several years ago that Smugmug implemented OpenID and I saw a reference to OpenID on the uservoice login page. Once you know about it (that's the hard part), it's slick to use.
    Heh. I remember 2 yrs ago, OpenID was gonna save the world, no? Now you can just use your FB or Twitter logins. I wonder which has more traction and more chance of succeeding? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2009
    so i guess i wasn't as stupid as i thought. :D
  • Options
    edited August 26, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    Heh. I remember 2 yrs ago, OpenID was gonna save the world, no? Now you can just use your FB or Twitter logins. I wonder which has more traction and more chance of succeeding? ear.gif
    I was never sure OpenID was going to save the world. The challenge was that it needed one of the big guys who has a zillion users to support being an openID server to get it kick started and it wasn't really in their own interest to do that when they could just foist their proprietary login system on everyone (as FB has done). I think that's a real bummer for the industry. From the cruft I've seen in the Smugmug pages to do FB login, it is not an elegant solution. And, of course, it's not interoperable with anything else so implementors have to do multiple implementations.

Anyway, hopefully you can still get some leverage out of OpenID between you and your partners to keep us from having to give our Smugmug credentials to a partner just to use their services with Smugmug data.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    mbradymbrady Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2009
    Andy wrote:

And before that Microsoft Passport was going to do the same. It never really spread beyond Microsoft sites though, imagine that!
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2009
    mbrady wrote:
    And before that Microsoft Passport was going to do the same. It never really spread beyond Microsoft sites though, imagine that!
    It did come before, but Microsoft passport was NOT an example of an open standards-based approach like OpenID with lots of independent implementors and a decentralized approach. Those two are no where near the same thing. I'm very happy Microsoft Passport failed - otherwise users would be beholden to the whims of one company even more so than we are now and we'd have yet another closed architecture we had to deal with.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2009
    Microsoft... Facebook. Is Facebook that much better?

At least with the *old* Microsoft, you bought the OS and Office, and you could unplug and be done with them. All your base are belong to Facebook.

I mean, they've got your personal info. They know who your friends and family are. They know what you are "fans" of and that you waste hours of time raising fake sheep and playing Bejeweled. They know which "personalized" ads you've clicked on. They know what other sites (Twitter, SmugMug, Flickr) you use because you had to authorize those sites to talk to Facebook. They know what you're watching on YouTube and sharing with your friends. They know every link you post for your friends. All 25 facts about you. Your top 15 books/movies/songs/sexual positions.

AND with their authentication push, they not only know what sites you log into, THEY have the ability to log into those sites as you.

I am NOT one of those people that claim Facebook is Evil. Merely that they have the potential to be evil. As much as Google does (who knows every search you make), but even more so.

My main beef with Facebook is with their continuously money-losing ways, I worry about them eventually going under, and all of that "content" (which is very real stuff -- Facebook has supplanted and overtaken the self-publishing revolution that was blogging) will simply go away when they die or get bought out by a less caring company. Or that the ads will get increasingly annoying (can't wait for the pop-up ones that you *can't* cancel). Also, those games are frakking annoying.

But for professional photographers (or anybody trying to sell something) it's silly to run away screaming or bury your head in the sand because of the potential copyright/ownership issues. Facebook is where the customers are, and I you're a fool not to have a Facebook page, and to put samples up where people can see your work and potentially HIRE you.

Also yeah, having to support 9 different Facebook/Twitter/Google/Yahoo/etc ad nauseum auth schemes is incredibly inefficient, from an engineering standpoint. Very sucky.

I think we need a new thread.
  • Options
    edited August 27, 2009
    darryl wrote:
    Microsoft... Facebook. Is Facebook that much better?

At least with the *old* Microsoft, you bought the OS and Office, and you could unplug and be done with them. All your base are belong to Facebook.

I mean, they've got your personal info. They know who your friends and family are. They know what you are "fans" of and that you waste hours of time raising fake sheep and playing Bejeweled. They know which "personalized" ads you've clicked on. They know what other sites (Twitter, SmugMug, Flickr) you use because you had to authorize those sites to talk to Facebook. They know what you're watching on YouTube and sharing with your friends. They know every link you post for your friends. All 25 facts about you. Your top 15 books/movies/songs/sexual positions.

AND with their authentication push, they not only know what sites you log into, THEY have the ability to log into those sites as you.

I am NOT one of those people that claim Facebook is Evil. Merely that they have the potential to be evil. As much as Google does (who knows every search you make), but even more so.

My main beef with Facebook is with their continuously money-losing ways, I worry about them eventually going under, and all of that "content" (which is very real stuff -- Facebook has supplanted and overtaken the self-publishing revolution that was blogging) will simply go away when they die or get bought out by a less caring company. Or that the ads will get increasingly annoying (can't wait for the pop-up ones that you *can't* cancel). Also, those games are frakking annoying.

But for professional photographers (or anybody trying to sell something) it's silly to run away screaming or bury your head in the sand because of the potential copyright/ownership issues. Facebook is where the customers are, and I you're a fool not to have a Facebook page, and to put samples up where people can see your work and potentially HIRE you.

Also yeah, having to support 9 different Facebook/Twitter/Google/Yahoo/etc ad nauseum auth schemes is incredibly inefficient, from an engineering standpoint. Very sucky.

I think we need a new thread.
    I'm not a fan of any strategy that is beholden to one company and using their closed APIs and it's obviously not good for the consumer if web sites have to implement lots of different APIs. I also don't see Facebook as evil (yet), but I don't think we've seen their full colors yet either until they're really under the gun to make money and do it predictably and repeatedly.
    --John
    HomepagePopular