Options

Canon 50D in the wild

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited November 11, 2008 in Cameras
And in some ways, not quite what I expected.

I just got back from a canon sponsored field workshop. If you ever get a chance to go, RUN! And Canon is on the push to do more of these all over the US!

In my case, three canon reps, including the national field manager, a well known landscape pro photographer, and more glass and bodies than even in your dreams. I had access to everything except a 1200mm. I should have played more:cry

--note: these are quick snapshots at the end of the long day at the California coast.

The good:
Awesome screen --- maybe worth upgrading just for this along wit the ISO

The bad: -- more like, why did they do that?
372028916_SDaGL-M.jpg

372029260_EE2pQ-M.jpg

Blurr? Sharp Sliders????

I think they're trying to market the camera to both pro-sumers and to newbies with the "CA" more. Or, as someone called it, "more advance green button".

I expected this on the rebel series and not this body. It's not necessarily bad, just unexpected for me. :dunno

And some other snapshots:
372029543_kwfVL-M.jpg

372030088_f7aXD-M.jpg

And the reps couldn't tell us anything else, even though we begged. :wink They're all under a NDA.

EDITED:
I was wrong. No one shot with the camera. It's not allowed, especially since it was a pre-production camera. I don't want to give anyone the wrong impression that these wonderful canon reps were breaking the rules.I"m sorry for the mistake.

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited September 14, 2008
    Hmmm. Interesting.

Were you allowed to shoot with it or just shoot it?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    Thanks for the report! (drool)

So now tell us.... IS the 18-200 anything good? Did it seem like decent construction, or more like a basic "kit" lens has usually felt like?

Were there any new lenses around that you can talk about?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    Sweet, April! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    ian408 wrote:
    Were you allowed to shoot with it or just shoot it?
    Freedom. Complete freedom.

We were allowed to run off with it as long as we brought it back at the end of the day.

But I didn't shoot with it. I was to busy playing with other things and trying to get shots with gear that I owned. rolleyes1.gif Looking back, I should just ran off with it and got some frames.
  • Options
    David_S85 wrote:
    So now tell us.... IS the 18-200 anything good? Did it seem like decent construction, or more like a basic "kit" lens has usually felt like?
    Plastic. Plastic. Plastic. I personally didn't use it and probably should have, but I saw large prints from it and the quality seems decent. It's fills canon's hole in the line-up -- a walk around lens with a large range.

Jim Rose, Canon Pro. Rep. doesn't like it too much in terms of optics, but then again, he rather be shooting with a 10-22 and a 70-200 on a crop body for his two lens solution. But don't forget, the entire trunk of his car is filled with L glass (his garage too).

372073079_MCbPy-M.jpg

I spent most of time with the landscape pro and trying to use the 24 T&S by getting lessons from all three canon reps (and I still don't understand that lens) and didn't play around with toys as much as I should have.

372074061_RD9wi-M.jpg

People were using the 800mm with the 1.4TC and the 50D. Crazy length

And they can't tell us anything; the reps are bound to the NDA. However, Jim did tell us a story when the 30D came out. He was teaching a two seminars, each three days long and he was actually using the 30D for both sessions, but no one knew he was using it since the model number was covered and no one else used it. On the last day of the seminar, someone asked him a question about some rumors (or something like that) and he told the photographer to ask him again at 3 pm. And at 3 pm, he put the camera that he was using on the table and told everyone what it was. It turns out that the official canon press release came out at 3pm.
  • Options
    And one last thing...

Canon Calendar of Events

I went to the "L series field workshops" and it was bargain at $50.

Canon does sponsor other workshops, some multi-days, etc, and they're not all that cheap, but if this is any indication, they're all quality.

Check if there is anything local to you!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    clap.gif thanks April!
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    looks just perfect !

Thanks for sharing
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    Any word on the 5d Mk II?

Now if only you did play with the 50D.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    ... the XXD series is supposed to be for semi-pros, this ticks me off... headscratch.gif

What is next, program modes?
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    ... the XXD series is supposed to be for semi-pros, this ticks me off... headscratch.gif

I felt the same way when they added windows and mouse to the computer.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    What is next, program modes?
    You know, in my country-of-origin (Russia, that is - I'm not talking about Moscow or SPB) they shoot weddings with G7, and that is considered "top notch" deal.gif
    Count your blessings and go in peace:-) mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    You know, in my country-of-origin (Russia, that is - I'm not talking about Moscow or SPB) they shoot weddings with G7, and that is considered "top notch" deal.gif
    AMEN!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    Nikolai wrote:

To be continued in a new thread:
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Any word on the 5d Mk II?
    NDA. They couldn't tell us anything

From the chats with these rep, I did infer a few things.
    • Canon wants to be the solution from start to finish. Shoot with a canon camera, process with canon software (DPP), print with a canon printer on canon paper using canon ink.
    • Canon is pushing eduction in order to improve market share in all areas from photography to printing.
    • Canon isn't happy at all with losing market share to Nikon -- not happy at all. This applies to both the consumer and pro space.
    • Canon has nearly always outsold Nikon in the past, but in the recently months, Nikon has been beating canon (from the camera store rep that hosted the event, not from the canon rep).
    • At least one of canon reps shot with a D3 for a while, and while he doesn't like everything (probably due layout of the menu system, etc), he did grudgingly admit Nikon did some things right with the camera and wasn't happy that in some specific ways, better than the canon equivalent
    • I didn't get any specifics, but reps didn't like the way Nikon is going after the pro photograph market (no details were given). If you watched the Olympics, you saw a lot less white lenses and more black ones. And looking at SI, and other high profile photographers, a bunch of them getting incredible images with the D3 and other Nikon bodies. I think the new Nikon bodies are amazing cameras.
    Note -- these were my interpretation of the various conversations and does not necessary indication the direction of canon. It's just what I took away after chatting with them.

So.. what does this mean for us? Canon seems pissed and playing catch up. It's going to be interesting what they come up with.

No matter what happens, its going to be a win for the consumers. clap.gif
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2008
    http://www.digitaldreams.com.sg/eos5...les/index.html
    Canon of Singapore has some sample shots, they include high ISO's 800, 1600, 3200, and 12800.

I think the 800's are find and the 1600 ok.
    The 3200 seems a bit too noisy for me and the 12800 seems like something for maybe small online images but not for prints.

Seeing as I don't find the ISO 1600 shots usable from my 30D, I guess this may be an improvement. I suspect that these are JPEG images, so I'll have to wait and see how much noise is in the RAW files to see how much noise reduction has been applied by the camera's processing. ISO 12800 seems to show banding which I also saw on high ISO images from another person who tooks some shots with a 50D.
  • Options
    Tee Why wrote:
    http://www.digitaldreams.com.sg/eos5...les/index.html
    Canon of Singapore has some sample shots, they include high ISO's 800, 1600, 3200, and 12800.

I think the 800's are find and the 1600 ok.
    The 3200 seems a bit too noisy for me and the 12800 seems like something for maybe small online images but not for prints.

Seeing as I don't find the ISO 1600 shots usable from my 30D, I guess this may be an improvement. I suspect that these are JPEG images, so I'll have to wait and see how much noise is in the RAW files to see how much noise reduction has been applied by the camera's processing. ISO 12800 seems to show banding which I also saw on high ISO images from another person who tooks some shots with a 50D.

Tom,
    thanks for sharing! thumb.gif
    I dowloaded one of the 12800 samples and loaded it in PS. Simple "Dust and scratches" at 1/1 took care of 90 of the noise, and noise removal pretty much cleaned it up. Naturally it's still not on par with ISO100, but.. come on, it's 8 stops!!! eek7.gif
  • Options
    Yes, but all that noise reduction comes at the cost or resolution. So far it seems to be pretty good. I'll wait for some more official reviews and informal online comparisons in the forums.
  • Options
    t-revt-rev Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    I stopped in at the Wolf Camera near my office in Atlanta today. They said they got the 50D signage and were waiting for a package from UPS today (he thinks it might be the 50D) if not he thinks they will have it in hand in under a week. He mentioned when they received the Nikon D90 signage the actual camera showed up a day or 2 later.
  • Options
    edited September 17, 2008
    Leak from Circuit City, posted on here states Oct. 6th.
    http://www.pdnpulse.com/2008/09/canon-50d-gets.html
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2008
    Penny wise and pound foolish
    I wonder why does innovation always have to be MP sensor etc.,
    Having worked in VLSI field for 8 years, I can confidently say that the 50D could have had many more features which were either a small increase in cost for manufacturer(1-2$/cam) or nil cost increase.
    1. IR remote facility
    2. Common remote shutter relase across cams, N-3 is so stupid, how much do they make with shutter releases anyways, and someone will always create cheaper version
    3. Bulb mode programability, Why use 30 sec max. why not let user select how long exposure is needed. Let the user dial in 1000 seconds if user wants so. Whats with this bulb mode thing!
    4. Easily can implement time lapse in camera. Its such a simple software function!

Its the small things which make a camera great. Slight changes in useability can go a long way.
    I am frankly dissapointed. And no I don't want video,
    I think I will upgrade from my 350D to the next version of 450D. I always use center focus, and if center focus point of 500D is as good as that of 50D, I am good!
    Of course I will need to sell my CF cards,.... But then SD is much cheaper.

I get to retain the remote(IR) and remote shutter release.
    And please canon if the 18-200IS is lousy let the 18-55IS stay. For the first time in history you have made a kit lens thats not embarassing, keep it that way
  • Options
    edited September 26, 2008
    50D arrives tomorrow
    I have a 50D arriving tomorrow, looking forward to working with it for a while :D
  • Options
    timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    Andy wrote:
    I have a 50D arriving tomorrow, looking forward to working with it for a while :D

What the..... how did you swing that?? :Dmwink.gif
  • Options
    timnosenzo wrote:
    What the..... how did you swing that?? :Dmwink.gif

naughty.gif
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    Andy wrote:

You get all the fun toys early!
  • Options
    Andy wrote:
    OK, are you gonna sell it before Moab, since I'm totally down to buy it from you!mwink.gif
  • Options
    t-revt-rev Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    Andy wrote:

I'll be looking forward to your opinion. I'm anxiously waiting to purchase a new camera and was looking at the 40D, but am also considering this one.
  • Options
    SunilDVRSunilDVR Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited September 27, 2008
    I would also be interested to see your take on the 50D as opposed to the 40D. Most specifically, the high-ISO performance (1600 up) and the new screen... also comparing the high-ISO performance back to the 20D if possible?

The reason why? My 20D recently bit the dust, and my insurance has covered a replacement. I've got £810 in vouchers, and it has to be from a specific store... the 40D, plus BG-E2N, plus 4GB Sandisk Extreme III is £780... leaving me with £30 for a filter or something.

The 50D body-only is £1200 from that same store. In other words... there's about a £400 price difference which I'd have to pay for myself... rolleyes1.gif

So... I'm currently leaning towards a 40D with grip and memory card, or perhaps a second flash unit for off-camera creative work... but if the 50D is that special on low-light (concert photography, etc.) I might reconsider.

Reviews/thoughts gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    20080927-giutuhainxn91fd25uy46g9wg1.jpg

it's here, in hand - I'll try and shoot with it today naughty.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Looks good congrats
    One of the firsts ?
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery