Options

Speedlight Flash Settings For Dark Dinner "Round-the-Table" Shots

jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
edited September 5, 2008 in Technique
I'm photographing a banquet this weekend and want to make sure my flash settings are correct - I'll be going around to each round dinner table and getting guests in groups of 3/4/5 people at a time.

Will be using a D200 w/ 18-200VR lens and an SB600 flash. In the past I have borrowed some faster glass but have noticed the DOF to be too shallow when I've done that - because of the round table the guests on each side will be blurred if the one in the middle is in focus.

With my speedlight I normally I use an Omnibounce diffuser and/or bounce the flash off the ceiling, but this will be in a large typical banquet hall with really tall ceilings.

Should I use the built in diffuser with the Omnibounce and point the flash directly at the guests?

Also, should I use the "BL" (balanced fill-light) feature on the flash or the regular TTL mode?
John in Georgia
Nikon | Private Photojournalist

Comments

• Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    this is subjective per who your target audience is. IMO, ideally, you try to bounce flash this shot. but with the camera, lens, and flash combo you have, this is going to be tough especially with trying to maximize DOF; you might end up well over ISO 800 to get an alright shot. ISO 800 on the D200 isn't exactly anything to write home about either...

when faced with a situation like this, i suggest either of the following:

1) skip the whole table shot in favor of couples/family shots. far more manageable and more likely to sell as a print than a full table shot.
    2) ditch the omnibounce or any kind of bounce tool. instead flip down the wide angle diffuser and shoot head on. your background behind the table will likely turn dark but if you're intent on getting the full group, this is probably the best way to go.

whenever you're bouncing with tall ceilings, in a dark room, or really wide do be mindful of your flash. you want to give it time to fully recycle and after a few full power pops, cool down. nothing will pop your flash tube or circuit board faster than an overheated flash unit. if you're popping the flash at 100% on just 4 AA's, be mindful of temperature after 6 or so pops; especially if you're using NiMH batteries as they tend to heat up faster than alkaline batteries.

don't be afraid to chimp your shots to make sure you're getting your exposures right. don't rely wholly on TTL; learn to shoot manual with your flash. BL-TTL should be renamed BS-TTL IMO. mwink.gif
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2008
    356389375_tLK2G-S.jpg

I have done work in similar situations several times at poorly lit wedding receptions and also most recently at a party.

Mind you, if bouncing were an option I would take it but if not....

-My speedlight mounted at the end of a monopod that is held in my left hand with the weight resting on my left hip. This flash will have a gary fong lightsphere and also will be gelled to approximately match any ambient light available.

-camera set in manual at ISO800, 1/80 second, F4 or 4.5 This aperture is fine for table and group shots taken in the 17-30mm range, and noise at ISO800 isn't an issue as long as the shots themselves are exposed properly.

-Canons STE2 transmitter is used to fire the flash....doesn't Nikon have something similar?

-Flash is fired with ETTL control on automatic. For me this gives nice exposures with the settings above.

-I am using an stabilized lens which helps out with the one handed shooting.

It works for me!!!...and the side lighting looks much more dynamic than on camera flash.

292907479_2aL2i-S-2.jpg

353614686_LkRtP-S.jpg
  • Options
    jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:

I have done work in similar situations several times at poorly lit wedding receptions and also most recently at a party.

Mind you, if bouncing were an option I would take it but if not....

-My speedlight mounted at the end of a monopod that is held in my left hand with the weight resting on my left hip. This flash will have a gary fong lightsphere and also will be gelled to approximately match any ambient light available.

-camera set in manual at ISO800, 1/80 second, F4 or 4.5 This aperture is fine for table and group shots taken in the 17-30mm range, and noise at ISO800 isn't an issue as long as the shots themselves are exposed properly.

-Canons STE2 transmitter is used to fire the flash....doesn't Nikon have something similar?

-Flash is fired with ETTL control on automatic. For me this gives nice exposures with the settings above.

-I am using an stabilized lens which helps out with the one handed shooting.

It works for me!!!...and the side lighting looks much more dynamic than on camera flash.

That sounds like a plan - and yep, I can control the SB600 from the D200's built in flash so I'll use that monopod idea and will have the VR lens on also.

Hopefully this will work out, thanks and keep the ideas coming! :D
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist