The SmugVault Discussion Thread

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited July 13, 2010 in SmugMug Support
[imgl]http://cdn.smugmug.com/img/vault/smugvault_black-M.jpg[/imgl] Announcing SmugVault: Store Everything for Next to Nothing

SmugVault is a new SmugMug product that lets you upload all the RAW, PSD, BMP, and TIFF files you’d like. And not just those - we’ll accept XMP sidecars, PDF files, Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, video archives, and anything else you might want to store with your photos. What’s more, we’ll bundle your files together for easy, intuitive browsing and safe retrieval.

Read about it on Don's Blog. Pricing & Info. Help. Release Notes. Wiki.

Got Questions? Ask 'em here :ear

Comments

• anderivanderiv Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Interesting. From what I can tell, there wouldn't be a whole lot to gain from moving to this from something like Jungle Disk except for the nice GUI, correct?

Is this something your customers have been asking for? I'm just trying to imagine a use case for this. For backup purposes, it just seems like there are so many other great options out there...
    Erik Anderson
    http://andersonfam.org
    http://andersonfam.smugmug.com
    D70 | SB-600 | Nifty Fifty | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Nikon 70-300 f/4-5.6G
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    anderiv wrote:
    Interesting. From what I can tell, there wouldn't be a whole lot to gain from moving to this from something like Jungle Disk except for the nice GUI, correct?
    I have hundreds of gigs on Jungle Disk, I'm moving it all. I want this:

318494731_gq3f3-L.jpg

I want my RAWs and PSDs and other associated files visually on my JPGs in my gallery. Whenever, whereever, I can get what I need. Jungle Disk, is a bit um, harder to work with :)

Also all future stuff I upload, I'll be bundling my JPGs and RAWs at upload, mmm tasty.
    edited June 23, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    I want my RAWs and PSDs and other associated files visually on my JPGs in my gallery. Whenever, whereever, I can get what I need. Jungle Disk, is a bit um, harder to work with :)

Also all future stuff I upload, I'll be bundling my JPGs and RAWs at upload, mmm tasty.
    Cool - I can see how that would be useful. So, to clarify, in one shot, you could upload a jpg and raw of one image. The jpg would be added to a smugmug gallery and the raw would be sent off to SmugVault?
    Erik Anderson
    edited June 23, 2008
    anderiv wrote:
    Cool - I can see how that would be useful. So, to clarify, in one shot, you could upload a jpg and raw of one image. The jpg would be added to a smugmug gallery and the raw would be sent off to SmugVault?
    nod.gif
  • gblottergblotter Registered Users Posts: 176 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Nice.

I can see some real benefits for archiving HD video in original size and format. With archived video, will SmugMug provide any viewing interface for the archived copy? Or is it only store/retrieve functionality?
    edited June 23, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    nod.gif
    Nice. For people that don't want/need to deal with more complicated backup situations, this is ideal. The tight integration with the Smugmug galleries will be quite nice.

Me, I'll need to stick with JungleDisk for other technical reasons, but I bet you'll have a lot of takers for the new service.

Congrats! thumb.gif
    Erik Anderson
    edited June 23, 2008
    gblotter wrote:
    Nice.

I can see some real benefits for archiving HD video in original size and format. With archived video, will SmugMug provide any viewing interface for the archived copy? Or is it only store/retrieve functionality?
    Store / retrieve only right now, for those big giant long movies (longer than 2.5 mins (power) or 10mins (pro) thumb.gif
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 23, 2008
    gblotter wrote:
    Nice.

If it meets our length limits and format restrictions, we can indeed make our usual display videos. You can also upload a JPEG or a another video and bundle them together.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Since this is an official place I think I'll mention it once again:
    All Star*Explorer users are already covered. deal.gif
    Simply add proper file extensions to your "video" list (I know, it became a misnomer, I'll change the name when I have a next release), set the limit to 512Mb - and you're ready.
    I already tested it the night SmugVault was deployed, and it works. :ivar
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • georgesgeorges Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    Why so many CR2s?
    Andy wrote:
    I have hundreds of gigs on Jungle Disk, I'm moving it all. I want this...

Just curious Andy, why so many CR2s? Do you have several RAW files with the same name? If so, how dow you tell them apart?

edit: OK, nevermind - it's a pano. Just saw the other thread. thanks, gs
    See you later, gs

http://georgesphotos.net
    edited June 23, 2008
    Sidecar files
    Some operations with Adobe Camera Raw or Bridge will generate a sidecar file. If I upload the sidecar files will the xmp show up on the flyover list?

(either way, it sounds like a good reason to switch to dng.)

Having said that, will I be able to view my Pentax PEF and DNG files?

Thanks, gs
    See you later, gs

• SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 23, 2008
    georges wrote:
    Some operations with Adobe Camera Raw or Bridge will generate a sidecar file. If I upload the sidecar files will the xmp show up on the flyover list?

(either way, it sounds like a good reason to switch to dng.)

Having said that, will I be able to view my Pentax PEF and DNG files?

Thanks, gs

It's pretty much any file type, not limited to photography or video. You can add text files, PDFs, Word documents, and pretty much anything else you can think of. JPEGs, PNGs, GIFs, etc. within our generous limits are still stored for free though.
    SmugMug Product Manager
    edited June 23, 2008
    georges wrote:
    Just curious Andy, why so many CR2s? Do you have several RAW files with the same name? If so, how dow you tell them apart?

edit: OK, nevermind - it's a pano. Just saw the other thread. thanks, gs
    :D yeah that's got 6raws and a psd with it.
    edited June 23, 2008
    Sheaf wrote:
    It's pretty much any file type, not limited to photography or video. You can add text files, PDFs, Word documents, and pretty much anything else you can think of. JPEGs, PNGs, GIFs, etc. within our generous limits are still stored for free though.
    Yeah I spoke with a couple pros today, that will be uploading PDF contracts to into their client galleries. Perma storage, never a worry and it's always going to be there with the client's photos.
  • cwoodardcwoodard Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2008
    I signed up for SmugVault right away. Fabulous idea as I've been wanting some kind of online/offsite backup for my photos. According to the help and wiki I think you should be able to upload two files - the raw file and the jpg and they should be automatically associated if their base filename is the same? This isn't happening for me. Both files are disappearing into lala land when I try Simple. When I try Drag & Drop only the jpg gets added to the album. The only way I've been able to add a raw file is by using the Add Archive photo tool. Which is a little tedious when you want to add a ton of raw files!

Thanks for any help. And thanks for implementing this!
    edited June 23, 2008
    cwoodard wrote:
    I signed up for SmugVault right away. Fabulous idea as I've been wanting some kind of online/offsite backup for my photos. According to the help and wiki I think you should be able to upload two files - the raw file and the jpg and they should be automatically associated if their base filename is the same? This isn't happening for me. Both files are disappearing into lala land when I try Simple. When I try Drag & Drop only the jpg gets added to the album. The only way I've been able to add a raw file is by using the Add Archive photo tool. Which is a little tedious when you want to add a ton of raw files!

What's your Smug site? http://cwoodard.smugmug.com isn't working for me :D
    edited June 23, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    What's your Smug site? http://cwoodard.smugmug.com isn't working for me :D

oops, forgot to update the sig! It's woodard.smugmug.com
    edited June 23, 2008
    cwoodard wrote:
    oops, forgot to update the sig! It's woodard.smugmug.com
    Looking, but first, you look here :D

http://nancyrose.smugmug.com/photos/257858359_ArAZw-L.jpg

http://nancyrose.smugmug.com/gallery/3394142_AmcCJ/1/257858359_ArAZw
    edited June 23, 2008
    cwoodard wrote:

Use the Simple Uploader, and, the files must be EXACTLY the same name:

12345.jpg
    12345.ORF

like that.

Like this one, which bundled fine thumb.gif
    edited June 23, 2008
    I just went and double checked and the files are named the exact same on my computer. The picture you linked, I had to upload the .orf file via the Add Archives. I'm not sure what's going on, but I'll give it a try with another photo.

I just uploaded a video and had the setting on to archive the original and that seems to have worked well.

And it's nice to see more sammies! :)

EDIT: so I tried again, same picture as you linked, but renamed. Same base filename for the orf and the jpg. Used the simple uploader. The progress window appeared, they seemed to upload, but they are nowhere to be found again. And I just tried re-uploading a video with the simple uploader and the video never showed up either but seemed to upload. Not sure what I am doing wrong!

EDIT #2: I downloaded Star Explorer and uploaded the two files with that and it worked.
    edited June 23, 2008
    You know what would be a nice option... Let's say I have a raw file that's a reject. But it's not horrible, so I want to upload it so it's backed up. I don't want visitors to see it. An option to automatically hide smugvault files not associated with a jpg would be great. And maybe a visual notification that's a little different for files that don't have jpgs associated.
    edited June 23, 2008
    cwoodard wrote:
    You know what would be a nice option... Let's say I have a raw file that's a reject. But it's not horrible, so I want to upload it so it's backed up. I don't want visitors to see it. An option to automatically hide smugvault files not associated with a jpg would be great. And maybe a visual notification that's a little different for files that don't have jpgs associated.

I'm under the impression that you don't see smugvault files unless you're logged in.
    See you later, gs

edited June 23, 2008
    georges wrote:
    I'm under the impression that you don't see smugvault files unless you're logged in.

I tested with visitor view and saw an unassociated raw file. I have the option to generate a preview image turned on, which might be the reason? I like having that turned on though so I can see which picture it is easily!
  • brianbbrianb Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Use the Simple Uploader, and, the files must be EXACTLY the same name:

12345.jpg
    12345.ORF

Great news! I've been hoping for this for a while. Any chance for us being able to use (simple) pattern matching to associate RAW files to JPGs? I use Lightroom, and rename my RAW files (test_001.dng), but that one raw file may have multiple virtual copies, and at diffferent points in time I may revisit that image later and create new versions of the image. So whenever I export to JPG, I always have added on "_v1", "_v2", etc to the JPG file name (so exports from test_001.dng could be named test_001_v1.jpg, test_001_v2.jpg, test_001_v2-1.jpg [for virtual copies], etc).

Also, at what level does the file name matching take place? I assume at the gallery level? (so if I upload all my RAWs from a local folder == gallery, it will only associate with matches from that gallery.)

Thanks!
    Brian
    edited June 24, 2008
    brianb wrote:
    Great news! I've been hoping for this for a while. Any chance for us being able to use (simple) pattern matching to associate RAW files to JPGs? I use Lightroom, and rename my RAW files (test_001.dng), but that one raw file may have multiple virtual copies, and at diffferent points in time I may revisit that image later and create new versions of the image. So whenever I export to JPG, I always have added on "_v1", "_v2", etc to the JPG file name (so exports from test_001.dng could be named test_001_v1.jpg, test_001_v2.jpg, test_001_v2-1.jpg [for virtual copies], etc).
    thanks for the suggestion thumb.gif

For now, the easiest way is to zip 'em up together and do "Add Archives".
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    cwoodard wrote:
    EDIT #2: I downloaded Star Explorer and uploaded the two files with that and it worked.
    Told ya:-) mwink.gifdeal.gif :ivar
    Thank you for trying S*E!
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • WookieWookie Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited June 25, 2008
    Two questions/issues:

1. I uploaded a bunch of NEF files to the wrong gallery. (D'Oh!) Not wanting to re-upload them (and possibly re-incurr charges for doing so), I just used the photo tools menu to move the SmugVault files to the correct gallery. I don't see them being matched up with the photos that are already there. I have two files named DSC_0430 next to each other, one NEF and one JPG. Is there some way to make this happen? I uploaded with the simple uploader, if it makes any difference.

2. I prefer to have filenames off in my galleries. But the SmugVault files do not have a file info icon in the photo bar like photos do. Is there some way to tell which files are what without turning on show filenames in place of captions?

A really cool idea though, and an easy enough one that I'll finally give it a try. Nice thinking Smuggers.

Wook
  • DeeDeeODeeDeeO Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    Hi Andy,
    The SmugVault sounds like a great option..... is it like Photoshelter? [featured in the PPA magazine March 2008, p. 58]...if so, can you provide a comparison/differences between the two??? It sounds like it would cost about the same..... would love yours and anyone elses overall opinion on these archieving services.

Thank you!!! :)
    edited June 26, 2008
    DeeDeeO wrote:
    Hi Andy,
    The SmugVault sounds like a great option..... is it like Photoshelter? [featured in the PPA magazine March 2008, p. 58]...if so, can you provide a comparison/differences between the two??? It sounds like it would cost about the same..... would love yours and anyone elses overall opinion on these archieving services.

Thank you!!! :)
    Hm, I'm traveling and don't have that issue with me. AFAIK Photoshelter has nothing like this though :)
  • renstarrenstar Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hm, I'm traveling and don't have that issue with me. AFAIK Photoshelter has nothing like this though :)
    The closest to this I've seen is Swiss Picture Bank which as far as I can tell (after researching it a good while ago) doesn't store RAW files. Smugmug seems to have raised the bar more than a few inches with this one.

-r