Options

Custom Domain Issues

chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
edited March 5, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hi Gang, :wave

I'm in the process of changing my custom domain name from old.com to new.com (just to keep things easier). Both domains are at GoDaddy.

I have new.com all set up with the CName Record and A Record all pointing SmugMug.com and everything works just fine after I change my custom url in my control panel.

But, I need to capture all the traffic that's coming to old.com from all the existing links out there in the ether. So, I changed the domain record at old.com to forward to new.com which would then pass it on to SmugMug.com.

But, traffic from old.com is showing up at smugmug still as if from old.com and SmugMug isn't recognizing it because because I have new.com set up in my control panel. Traffic from old.com is winding up at the SmugMug Home Page so I know it's at least getting to the front door.

So, I guess the challenge is to have traffic from old.com show up at SmugMug disguized as if for new.com so the server knows to send it to my site. I thought passing the traffic to new.com, it would be sent to SmugMug as from new.com and no problems. But I guess that's not the case.

Old.com is now set up to forward to new.com. The CName record points to new.com. The A Record has been deleted. When I put old.com back in my control panel as a custom url, everything seems to work fine with traffic destined for old.com.

old.com = www.customrideportraits.com new.com = www.customrideimages.com

I e-mailed GoDaddy.com with the problem and all I got back was a boiler plate response with quotes from the help pages which I had already read and didn't address the problem. I don't think they understand the question.

Any Ideas? :dunno

As always, thanks for your help.
Chuck Cannova
www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited June 5, 2008
    Did you try forwarding old.com to new.com?

I know domain forwarding works, because I have a second url that is forwarded like that.

www.denisegoldberg.com is CNAMEd to www.smugmug.com.
    www.denisegoldbergphotography.com is forwarded to www.denisegoldberg.com.

Update - oh. I just read that you forwarded the old to the new. That should work... It shouldn't make a difference, but I have my two URLs at different registrars. I am forwarding from GoDaddy to Register.com which then CNAMEs to smug.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    Hi Denise,

When I click on the link to your photography.com, I get to your SmugMug site and the address bar shows denisegoldberg.com. That's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish. But I can't get it to work. ne_nau.gif

I've tried different combinations of forwarding and CNaming old to new, but old always winds up at the SmugMug home page as long as I have new in my control panel. If I put old in my control panel, old gets to my site with no problem.headscratch.gif

I'll probably have to try Doc at the help desk. He's the expert in all this domain name stuff.

Thanks.

Wait! Are you forwarding and masking photography to denise goldberg. Maybe it's the masking that tricks the system into thinking that the traffic is intended for new.com. I'll give it a shot and let you know so then we'll both know in case it comes up again.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited June 5, 2008
    Wait! Are you forwarding and masking photography to denise goldberg. Maybe it's the masking that tricks the system into thinking that the traffic is intended for new.com. I'll give it a shot and let you know so then we'll both know in case it comes up again.
    No, it's a straight forward from www.denisegoldbergphotography.com to www.denisegoldberg.com. And www.denisegoldberg.com is CNAMEd to www.smugmug.com.

Do you by any chance still have a A-record floating around on your old domain? If you do, I suspect it needs to be removed.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited June 5, 2008
    I tried a straight forward from old to new and deleted the CName record but then the interweb couldn't find the old.com at all. I created a new CName record at old.com so the interweb finds it but I may have it filled out wrong. If I point the CName to new.com, it still doesn't work.

I deleted the A Record at old.com last night. And, masking has nothing to do with it.

I sent an e-mail to Doc at the support desk and maybe he'll have some wisdom on the issue.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

• Options
    edited June 6, 2008
    Hi Denise,

Doc referred me to http://wiki.smugmug.com/display/SmugMug/Multiple+Domains

which basically states that the daisy chain you have set up doesn't work with all registrars for the reason I suspected: when the traffic intended for old.com passes through new.com, it still retains it's old.com identity so SmugMug doesn't know what to do with it.

There is a plan b which I've been working on but it's giving me fits as well. So I reset everything to how it was before I started messing with it and I'll start fresh tomorrow. If Ida known it was gonna be this big of a pain, Ida never started this.

Thanks for your support.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

• Options
    edited June 9, 2008
    Finally Nailed It!! clap.gif

All this frustration just for the want of an A Record at old.com

In case anyone has similar issues, here's the settings at GoDaddy that seem to work if you change domain names and want to capture traffic coming to your old.com and send it to your new.com. This can also work if you want to point multiple custom domain names to your SmugMug galleries:

Set up for new.com

Forwarding: Disabled

A Record
    Host: **http://www.new.com** (Lose the asterisks)
    Points to: 208.79.45.23 (SmugMug's IP)

CName
    Host: www
    Points to: **domains.smugmug.com** (Lose the asterisks)

Of course, the Custom URL field in the control panel needs to be updated to new.com.

Set Up for old.com or additional domain names you want to point to your SmugMug galleries:

Forwarding: **http://www.new.com** (No Masking) (Lose the asterisks)

A Record:
    Host: "@" (No Quotes)
    Points to: 64.202.189.170 (or the IP of the name server where old.com lives)

CName:
    Points to: "@" (No Quotes)

Note that both my domains were purchased at and are parked at GoDaddy. This may or may not work at other registrars.

I hope this will help someone in the future.

Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

• Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 11, 2008
    Chuck, Do not forget to edit those IP addresses and domains for the new setup.

208.79.45.23 and domains.smugmug.com replaces the old IP and www.smugmug.com
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited August 11, 2008
    Hey Doc,

Thanks for the reminder ... I just updated it. thumb.gif
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

• Options
    CandidPrintsCandidPrints Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    I changed from my old.com domain to my new.com domain and the new.com works fine. I followed the instructions for forwarding the old.com address to the new.com address. However it forwards to the Smugmug homepage, rather than my page. Any ideas?
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2008
    I can think of 3 things off the top of my head:

1. Sometimes it can take a few hours for the setup to "take".

2. Make sure your CNAME and A record at old.com are filled in properly.

A Record:

CName:

3. Again, this works for me at GoDaddy. If you are using another registrar it may not work there.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

• Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2008
    I changed from my old.com domain to my new.com domain and the new.com works fine. I followed the instructions for forwarding the old.com address to the new.com address. However it forwards to the Smugmug homepage, rather than my page. Any ideas?
    What's the old, forwarded domain name?
  • Options
    jtripp34jtripp34 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 5, 2009
    I just tried this
    I will et you know if it worked! Fingers crossed!

In case anyone has similar issues, here's the settings at GoDaddy that seem to work if you change domain names and want to capture traffic coming to your old.com and send it to your new.com. This can also work if you want to point multiple custom domain names to your SmugMug galleries:

Set up for new.com

A Record

CName

Of course, the Custom URL field in the control panel needs to be updated to new.com.

Set Up for old.com or additional domain names you want to point to your SmugMug galleries:

A Record:

CName:

Note that both my domains were purchased at and are parked at GoDaddy. This may or may not work at other registrars.

Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com
  • Options
    jtripp34jtripp34 Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 5, 2009
    it worked!
    Thank you!

Set up for new.com

A Record

CName

A Record:

CName:

Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com