Options

Can I do this with API

farbodrfarbodr Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
I want to create a private website for my own use where users can see on a calendar the days with photos associated with that day. Then they would click on that day and will be presented with a thumbnail of photos. I have done this with Flickr api but I don't like the fact that with Flickr users have to be authenticated via a popup. I want to be able to log into my account behind the scene. It looks like I can do this with SmugMug API. Flickr has a search method that takes a 'date taken' param. Does SmugMug api have similar method?

TIA,
Fred

Comments

• Options
    rkallarkalla Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    farbodr wrote:
    I want to create a private website for my own use where users can see on a calendar the days with photos associated with that day. Then they would click on that day and will be presented with a thumbnail of photos. I have done this with Flickr api but I don't like the fact that with Flickr users have to be authenticated via a popup. I want to be able to log into my account behind the scene. It looks like I can do this with SmugMug API. Flickr has a search method that takes a 'date taken' param. Does SmugMug api have similar method?

TIA,
    Fred

Fred, you can't do exactly this using the SM API from what I remember, but you do have access to the EXIF data to check the date taken... then again, requesting *all* the images then filitering them yourself before showing them to the user on the calendar is too time consuming to do on the fly, maybe you have a background process that does it and refreshes a cache of a list of photos with those date?

I think this is a really cool use-case to justify getting this support directly into SmugMug though, thanks for sharing it.
  • Options
    iotashaniotashan Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    I'd go with the cached list of images, too. Just pull the date taken out of the exif, and you're golden.
  • Options
    farbodrfarbodr Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 29, 2008
    Thanks all for your reply. I'm surprised that there is no such API method for 'date taken' search since Smugmug supports time series.

I think I will try the cache idea. I may create a yet another uploader that creates the cache entry during the upoad.

Fred
  • Options
    mhilbushmhilbush Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2008
    farbodr wrote:

TIA,
    Fred
    Thanks for the reminder! clap.gif

I requested a search method a VERY long time ago. I just updated the request to include a date or date range criteria, as you suggested in your post.

Here's a link to the enhancement request:
    http://smugmug.jot.com/BugReporter/SmugBug11

Mark
    Mark
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    farbodr wrote:

You could hack it with some scraping. Go to your Control Panel -> Home Page and set your Photo Timeline to Show by: date taken.

Then go to a URL like: http://darryl.smugmug.com/date/2007-11-09/2007-11-09/

Select All Thumbs style.

Start scrapin' <div class="photo"> like crazy. :-}

Heh. This is how my first Perl album downloading script worked.

Bummer that the Template Change Hack doesn't work anymore. But since you're programming it, I think you could just do another get of the page with TemplateID=7 and origin=template_origin. Or pre-set a .smugmug.com Template cookie with the value of 7.

--Darryl