Options

Andy/Baldy - feed me

Comments

• Options
    stirfrystirfry Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    Personally, I have had my blood tested for iron (hemoglobin) lots of times in my life (because I gave blood regularly) and I was frequently borderline anemic on a non-vegan diet. I saw similar levels after being vegan for ~6 months. So I took iron supplements all through my pregnancy and I'm still taking them as I breastfeed. I also took supplemental folic acid and B-12 during pregnancy and I'm continuing with the B-12. Ideally I'd just get iron from a whole plant foods diet, but a little extra insurance gives me peace of mind. :D

-Anne

I hate to offer unsolicited advice- and especially offtopic - because I hate to get it myself, but this is one of those things I wish someone had told me back with my eldest. I learn something new with each kid :D unfortunately the iron thing took me a few kids to figure out! So I'm putting it out there for posterity, for all of us current nursing moms and for future nursing moms.

If your baby begins to act colic-y in the next few weeks/months, BEFORE you do an elimination diet definitely consider that it could be your iron supplements that are upsetting her system. Elimination diets suck (pardon my french) and are so frustrating when all you want to do is be able to nurse your hungry baby. It might not be true in your own instance, given your lifelong history of low iron levels - but consider it, especially if you've been good about our prenatals during pregnancy. Eliminate the supplements and give it 3-4 days; if that still doesn't alleviate the colic, then it's a good idea to try the elimination diet.

I only had a food problem with one of mine, who reacted when I ate too much broccoli (I eat tons, daily, and did even throughout his pregnancy ne_nau.gif) but every other episode of colic in the other kids I was able to trace back to trying to supplement iron; once I stopped, it stopped. I wonder what my iron levels are now; like you, when I gave blood I was always borderline low. My 2.5 year old is nursing 3-4 times a day (like now!) and I haven't supplemented since midway through my pregnancy with her. I'm curious what my levels are.

Anyhow, sorry again for the OT and unsolicited advice .. but like I said earlier, when colic struck my house I wish someone had been there with some BTDT for me because it is highly frustrating and stressful. I can see why some parents transition to formula during that time, and it saddens me to see parents make that switch when their hearts would rather not (but their doctors advise otherwise).
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2008
    stirfry wrote:
    Sounds like adventures from my own kitchen rolleyes1.gif I hope your gastrointestional activity has calmed down some lol that's a whole lot of bean action!!

Thanks for all the tips, stirfry. I will cerrtainly refer to them again.

For all the activity in my gut this week, I should be burning 2X or more my caloric intake eek7.gif Calming down but still lots of rumbling. And the thought of taking that chili for lunch today is crossing my feable mind!

ann
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2008
    The omnivores dilema
    I've just started this book and am enjoying it. I have a couple of random thoughts so far.

First, I live in a region where corn does not grow well, so our cattle are not fed corn. They have a different flavor than corn fed cattle for sure. Until I was about 16, we purchased our beef directly from relatives that did not use feedlots. But I've seen feedlots in action (and mass chicken farms) and they are really gross. Our feedlots, and many others world wide, had started using feed made with animal byproducts to feed the cattle. Now if adjusting a grass grazers diet to corn is gross, then adjusting it to animal byproducts is really gross.

The mad cow scare a decade ago was the best thing that ever happened to the Alberta cattle industry. It closed many of our feedlots. It caused our ranchers to return to grazing cattle and finding a different approach to marketing them. They raised fewer cattle, on grass, and marketed them locally or to really special markets like the Kobe beef market.

The abundance of locally grown, grass fed, beef here has increased enormously and I think it was good for the industry and for the consumer.

(Consumer beef prices did not fall)

Previousy, cattle born in Alberta would be raised on the farm til old enough to go to the feedlot, then hauled to the US to be slaughtered, then back to Canada for market. Absolutely ridiculous supply chain.

Just some random thoughts to start the day.

ann
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited January 24, 2008
    stirfry wrote:
    I wonder what my iron levels are now; like you, when I gave blood I was always borderline low.
    There is a lot of controversy now about what iron levels should be. People who eat at McDonalds typically do not have borderline low iron, they just have poor health. People who are models of health from exercise and healthy diets often test borderline low.

I'm very active in triathlons and couldn't help notice a coach telling his nearly elite female athlete, "Don't worry about your iron tests. All the top women in triathlon test borderline low."
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2008
    More disturbing news about the nitrogen imbalance in the oceans.
  • Options
    AnneMcBeanAnneMcBean Registered Users Posts: 503 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    I made some of my yummy split pea soup tonight, so I thought I'd share the recipe, which I always at least double because it's great leftover:

1 TBS olive oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1 rib celery, sliced thinly
    2 carrots, sliced thinly
    1 cup split peas, rinsed and drained
    4 cups veggie broth
    1/4 tsp. dried thyme
    1/4 tsp. dried marjoram
    2 TBS fresh parsley, chopped (or 1 1/2 tsp. dried)

Cook onion in olive oil for a couple of minutes until softened , then add celery and carrots and cook for 3 more minutes. Add everything else and cook on LOW for 50-60 minutes partially covered (30 will work in a pinch). Pull out 2 cups and blend it (vitamix!) until smooth and return it to the pot. Add salt and pepper and enjoy!

No photo yet, but hey I made the muffins again and took a better photo of them! http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=729513&postcount=821

-Anne
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2008
    AnneMcBean wrote:
    I made some of my yummy split pea soup tonight, so I thought I'd share the recipe, which I always at least double because it's great leftover:

1 TBS olive oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1 rib celery, sliced thinly
    2 carrots, sliced thinly
    1 cup split peas
    4 cups veggie broth
    1/4 tsp. dried thyme
    1/4 tsp. dried marjoram
    2 TBS fresh parsley, chopped (or 1 1/2 tsp. dried)

Cook onion in olive oil for a couple of minutes until softened , then add celery and carrots and cook for 3 more minutes. Add everything else and cook on LOW for 50-60 minutes partially covered (30 will work in a pinch). Pull out 2 cups and blend it (vitamix!) until smooth and return it to the pot. Add salt and pepper and enjoy!

No photo yet, but hey I made the muffins again and took a better photo of them! http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=729513&postcount=821

-Anne
    bowdown.gif

Mind if I import this into the TB, as well as your yummy chili recipe? Also, did you post the actual recipe for the muffins? the photo is beautiful!

BTW, I did try your chili in the crockpot and it was a HUGE success. The only difference was I switched out the canned beans for dried beans and it worked a treat after 8 hours on 'Low.' thumb.gif

Bean experts like Stirfry might have something to say about the rehydrating process of crockpot beans but they tasted darned good to me and the husband! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2008
    The 247 Pound Vegan

WSJ online story about Kansas City Chiefs TE Tony Gonzalez who decided to change his diet after a conversation with a stranger on a plane about The China Study.
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2008
    gregneil wrote:
    The 247 Pound Vegan

WSJ online story about Kansas City Chiefs TE Tony Gonzalez who decided to change his diet after a conversation with a stranger on a plane about The China Study.
    Interesting story, Greg. They made it sound more dramatic than it was, I think, because world-class athletes like Carl Lewis, Leroy Burrell and Edwin Moses blazed the vegan trail before and did fine.

I think what they said is true, though: you're not gonna be a world-class athlete on a diet of pasta. If vegan means most of your calories come from grains and oil, uh oh.

I do wonder about growing up, though... Half of all black girls now make it to puberty by age 8. Milk does what it's designed to do, grow you fast and big and get you to maturity in the shortest possible time. Would our 247-pound vegan have gotten as big and tall had he grown up on plants? I'm thinkin' maybe not. Less likely to suffer chronic disease, yes.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2008
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2008
    Quick & Easy Veggie Lunch - Snap Peas & Red Peppers

8 oz package of fresh snap peas
    if using frozen, first steam peas for half of the recommended time
    1 sliced or diced yellow, orange, or red bell pepper
    ~ 1/8 to 1/4 cup of water, as needed to saute
    optional: 1/2 tsp sesame oil for flavor PLUS
    optional: 1/2 tsp tamari/soy sauce/Bragg's liquid amino acids

- Water saute bell peppers for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly
    - Add snap peas and saute for an additional 3-4 minutes
    - Toss in sesame oil and tamari (if using), and pepper if desired
    - Remove from heat and serve!

This yields crispier veggies, which I find to offer the most natural flavor; saute for an additional 3+ minutes as needed if you prefer a softer consistency. If you opt out of the oil/tamari seasoning, try tossing in some minced garlic instead.

247925616-M.jpg

Reheats fine on stove, not microwave (gets mushy). Doesn't freeze well. This is something you can run to the store and pick up on your lunch break, or make and eat quickly if you're always on the run. Tastes good raw, too, but if cooked this will make a tastier dish for someone not so wild about veggies and trying to transition to veg*n eating.

A tip: I pre-cut all of my vegetables after I buy and wash them. I store them in glass or stainless steel containers in my refrigerator, completely covered in water. The water keeps them plump and fresh, and the convenience can't be beat - especially with as often as we cook with these ingredients. You can reserve and reuse the water (and any water leftover from steaming veggies) in veggie broths or for future water sautees as it will contain some of the nutrients as well. I also water my houseplants and top off the ponds with it for the fish and turtles :D .
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2008
    Another Quick & Easy Veggie Lunch - Green Beans & Yellow Peppers

This was the other part of my lunch today :D

8 oz bag of frozen green beans (or fresh)
    1 yellow pepper, sliced
    water as needed, to saute
    pepper as desired, to taste
    optional: 1+ clove of minced garlic, to taste (I love garlic so I use 3 cloves)

1a, Steam frozen green beans for 4-5 minutes, as directed
    1b, If using fresh green beans, skip this step.

2, Water saute yellow bell pepper for 2-3 minutes, until tender crispy. Stir constantly.

3, Add fresh or steamed green beans and saute for an addtional 2-3 minutes. Stir constantly.

4, Add minced garlic and/or ground pepper to taste, saute for additional 1-2 minutes until beans are your desired consistency.

5, Remove from heat and serve immediately.

247926041-M.jpg

Reheats well on stove, but not microwave. Doesn't freeze well. Tastes best if crunchy crisp (al dente) but that might be an acquired taste, especially if you're used to eating way cooked veggies slathered in fatty toppings! This is quick and easy, good transition to veg*nism meal. Could probably toss the whole thing on top of a green salad, too thumb.gif.

TIP: water sauteeing is really good way to cut out excess oil/butter usage. The only thing is that it requires a more constant eye and frequent stirring so as not to scorch. I usually start with just a teeny bit (1/4 cup or less) and add more if needed. Could also try a veggie broth saute.
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2008
    Stirfry, AWESOME cooking/kitchen tips, thanks for sharing. I take the time to pre-cut and store veggies when I buy them too but so far I've been putting them in Ziploc bags instead of water. And for making broth! These days I can't make enough veggie broth to keep up with the demand. You're chock full of great veg*n wisdom. thumb.gif
    i'm going to add your two recipes to the Tastebook if you don't mind. clap.gif

(And the photos are lovely!)
  • Options
    zweiblumenzweiblumen Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    More proof I'm just wierd
    Some background:
    As recently as November I ate a cheeseburger or cheesestake every day for lunch, I'd have a bacon egg and cheese on a bagel for breakfast and dinner was anything from sushi to steak. I ate some veggies but not a lot. I also did a fairly intense workout at least once a week and was reasonably physically active the rest of the week.

In December Schmoo thought it would be a good idea to start the ETL/China Study diet. I grudgingly agreed, but said I wasn't going to be super strict about it. And I've done that. I've had a small amount of beef about 4 or 5 times since the beginning of December. I'd say about 85-90% of what I eat falls into the ETL diet. I don't currently have my weekly workout, but I still stay reasonably active.

On 6/27/07 my cholesterol was 214, I didn't get a total break down of everything else then. Also I weighed a little over 205.

Today 01/28/08 my cholesterol is 218, my HDL is 30 (low) my TRG is 85 (good) and my LDL is 171 (very high). My TC/HDL=7.3. The RN asked me to improve my diet and exercise more.

The good news is this morning I weighed in at 184.4. So I've lost at least 20 lbs. which is good. I'm just confused about my cholesterol.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    The RN asked me to improve my diet and exercise more.
    I'm not sure how we can possibly improve our diet even more? ne_nau.gif But 6-7 weeks isn't a lot of time in the long run, so hang in there and push that 85% to 99%, I guess. Your life changes have been remarkable. Although it was hard at first you are a real trooper for completely turning your culinary world upside-down on such short notice. :ivar

Again I would love to hear whatever the Masters of ETL have to add, if anything. I am unsure of what can cause the numbers to go UP, which goes against everything I have seen so far from Fuhrman and Campbell. Exercise, yes, but as you said you are reasonably active already.
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    Today 01/28/08 my cholesterol is 218, my HDL is 30 (low) my TRG is 85 (good) and my LDL is 171 (very high). My TC/HDL=7.3. The RN asked me to improve my diet and exercise more.

The good news is this morning I weighed in at 184.4. So I've lost at least 20 lbs. which is good. I'm just confused about my cholesterol.

I'm not sure what is in your diet, but here is a link that may help. Obviously saturated fats are the biggie, so besides meat (especially organ meats), dairy (ice cream, anyone), nuts, prepared/frozen foods (also high in sodium), etc have it. While fish is good, shellfish is bad. My biggest weakness is still peanut butter and other nuts.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2008
    jdryan3 wrote:
    I'm not sure what is in your diet, but here is a link that may help. Obviously saturated fats are the biggie, so besides meat (especially organ meats), dairy (ice cream, anyone), nuts, prepared/frozen foods (also high in sodium), etc have it. While fish is good, shellfish is bad. My biggest weakness is still peanut butter and other nuts.

My fats are very low at this point. No dairy, no prepared/frozen foods and no shellfish. I do eat nuts, but not every day.

Was talking with an MD friend of mine and he says that I'm just not active enough for my problem. I should be getting a decent cardio workout every other day at least. Need to make time for that.
    Travis
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    Genetics
    I made the mistake of getting a lipid panel done a few days after Christmas and now, I have to repeat it in six months. It didn’t help that I had rare meal at Korean BBQ early that week as well.

In general, my cholesterol is normal very high due to my family history and I’m usually between the range of 200-225. At first, it worried my doctors since I eat decently healthy (very little fast food, low fats, loves veggies, little meats, etc) and exercised on a regular basis, but the conclusion is always the same. Genetics. At the same time, I’m told not worry since my ratio is insanely good. I believe it’s desirable to have the ratio below 5:1 with the optimum ratio below 3.5:1. I’m usually around 2.6:1.

This time: 289, my HDL is 89 (very good) and my LDL is 179 (very high). My TC/HDL=3.25. -- scary total number, but still a good ratio. I think if the ratio wasn't decent, the doc would put me on drugs (ick). I think my high HDL is the result working out and playing hockey on a regular basis.

So… I'm as vegan as I can be for the next six months (just making more substitutions in meals) until my next test since there isn’t that much more that I can do. Or is there?

Genetics :cry
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2008
    I was told that the ratio was the key number also.

Talking with my MD friend he just pointed at my LDL and said, "Get that number up and you'll be fine. Start working out again and you should be good to go. Get regular check-ups."

So, now I need to start working out regularly again. I've been told to aim for a BPM of >140 for 20+ min at least 4 times a week. Time to get off my arse more.
    Travis
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2008
    schmoo wrote:

Mind if I import this into the TB as well as your yummy chili recipe?
    Sure, and you should take fabulous pictures of both! :D
    schmoo wrote:
    Also, did you post the actual recipe for the muffins? the photo is beautiful!
    Yep, somewhere in this thread... but I'm too tired to find it right now so here's a link to my blog post: http://beanland.wordpress.com/2008/01/18/muffins/

My photos are slowly improving, hehe.
    schmoo wrote:
    BTW, I did try your chili in the crockpot and it was a HUGE success. The only difference was I switched out the canned beans for dried beans and it worked a treat after 8 hours on 'Low.' thumb.gif
    Good to know, thanks!!

-Anne
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2008
    Curried Pototaoes and Spinach
    Another "keeper" of a recipe... adapted from a recipe in the cookbook Mike recommended (150 vegan favorites):

http://beanland.wordpress.com/2008/01/26/curried-potatoes-with-spinach/

I upped the potato and spinach quotient, kicked up the heat a bit, and it turned out to be delicious. clap.gif

You can use the recipe and photo if you'd like, Schmoo, though now that I look at the photo again... seems like I missed the focus a bit. I've since devoured the leftovers so I don't get another chance until I make this recipe again. :cry

246906841-425x425.jpg

-Anne
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2008
    Looks really good!

I love curried potatoes and know curry can make anything taste marvelous, even broccoli. In fact my veggie soup always gets a dollop of curry paste added - yum! and this weekend I added mushrooms (eek7.gif) and spinach.

Anne - the recipe does not list celery among ingredients, but does add celery in the instructions.

ann
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2008
    Ann McRae wrote:

Anne - the recipe does not list celery among ingredients, but does add celery in the instructions.

ann

Uh-oh, that's what I get for typing one-handed while feeding the baby. eek7.gif

All fixed, thanks! Oh, and I double-checked the other ingredients just in case. :D

-Anne
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    A fascinating documentary about the morbidly obese.

BTW, if you're like me and have no idea how much a stone is, it's 14 pounds, so 76 stone is 1,064 pounds!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    BTW, if you're like me and have no idea how much a stone is, it's 14 pounds...
    Hey, so I'm only 13.4 stone? Sweet, sounds much better than pounds does! :D
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    My DW is getting into ETL a bit and has started changing the way she cooks for herself and the boys. We got grapeseed oil and changed to whole wheat pastas and have tons more fruit and veggies around the house. She is changing to Earth balance instead of butter for most things, and she has been making herself salads for every lunch as well. It sure has made it easier for me to be good~clap.gif

We are having fun trying new fruits out; last night she came home from the grocery store with a cactus pear. This is a grenade-sized pod which is bright magenta inside, really cool! The fruit itself does remind me of pears, nice and juicy and pleasant-tasting. The only downside is that the seeds throughout the fruit (which are edible) are sort of like strawberry seeds only much larger. They ended up being a deal-breaker for me; if there was a seedless variety I'd keep buying them though.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    Some background:
    As recently as November I ate a cheeseburger or cheesestake every day for lunch, I'd have a bacon egg and cheese on a bagel for breakfast and dinner was anything from sushi to steak. I ate some veggies but not a lot. I also did a fairly intense workout at least once a week and was reasonably physically active the rest of the week.

In December Schmoo thought it would be a good idea to start the ETL/China Study diet. I grudgingly agreed, but said I wasn't going to be super strict about it. And I've done that. I've had a small amount of beef about 4 or 5 times since the beginning of December. I'd say about 85-90% of what I eat falls into the ETL diet. I don't currently have my weekly workout, but I still stay reasonably active.

On 6/27/07 my cholesterol was 214, I didn't get a total break down of everything else then. Also I weighed a little over 205.

This happened to me and was soooo discouraging, especially after working so bloody hard.

Unlike you I was working out a lot, almost two hours/day and had dropped 40 pounds. My total cholesterol went from 214 to 235.

My doc said, "it's in the genes."

But apparently, there were several factors at work for me:

1. When you're losing weight, you're burning your own nasty, saturated fat. It's common for cholesterol to go up during periods of rapid weight loss, which you are experiencing.

2. I started scrutinizing my diet more closely and ehem, I was quite fond of dark chocolate and all the saturated fats and sugars it's loaded with. And diet soda. I ended up ixnaying them. :cry Don't miss 'em now, but the transition was tough.

3. It's true, high cholesterol runs in my genes and so it doesn't take much moderation for my cholesterol to skyrocket. A burger will do. There are a lot of published studies now with cameras inside your arteries that show the immediate reaction that some people have.

4. Dr. Fuhrman says he has seen patients whose cholesterol drops to 170 and then it takes years to inch below that. He hypothesizes that when you are raised on the western diet, it can take years for the body to adjust. He shows records of his patients over the years and the more leafy greens they eat, and the less bad food, the more they keep improving over the years.

Mine has dropped 60 points since that discouraging day and I'm 100 points below where my mom and dad were (he died of a heart attack) but it's not enough. The higher the percentage of my diet comes from high nutrient density foods like leafy greens, the lower it goes. The more comes from low-nutrient density foods like grains, the more it stays the same.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2008
    Baldy wrote:
    This happened to me and was soooo discouraging, especially after working so bloody hard.

Unlike you I was working out a lot, almost two hours/day and had dropped 40 pounds. My total cholesterol went from 214 to 235.

My doc said, "it's in the genes."

But apparently, there were several factors at work for me:

1. When you're losing weight, you're burning your own nasty, saturated fat. It's common for cholesterol to go up during periods of rapid weight loss, which you are experiencing.

2. I started scrutinizing my diet more closely and ehem, I was quite fond of dark chocolate and all the saturated fats and sugars it's loaded with. And diet soda. I ended up ixnaying them. :cry Don't miss 'em now, but the transition was tough.

3. It's true, high cholesterol runs in my genes and so it doesn't take much moderation for my cholesterol to skyrocket. A burger will do. There are a lot of published studies now with cameras inside your arteries that show the immediate reaction that some people have.

4. Dr. Fuhrman says he has seen patients whose cholesterol drops to 170 and then it takes years to inch below that. He hypothesizes that when you are raised on the western diet, it can take years for the body to adjust. He shows records of his patients over the years and the more leafy greens they eat, and the less bad food, the more they keep improving over the years.

Mine has dropped 60 points since that discouraging day and I'm 100 points below where my mom and dad were (he died of a heart attack) but it's not enough. The higher the percentage of my diet comes from high nutrient density foods like leafy greens, the lower it goes. The more comes from low-nutrient density foods like grains, the more it stays the same.

Baldy, thanks for the words of encouragement. I've been given similar encouragement (though from a slightly different angle) from the MD that I talk with regularly. It is very reassuring to know that I'm not that strange. As for the diet sodas and such, I don't drink anything but my morning smoothies, water, and beer (occasionally). Schmoo has recently (gently) chastised me about the beer. We are working out an exercise plan now to get more active, and in 6 weeks I'll be going back to doing martial arts again. That'll make a big difference. I really miss that.

Thanks again! wings.gifwings.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    zweiblumen wrote:
    Schmoo has recently (gently) chastised me about the beer. We are working out an exercise plan now to get more active, and in 6 weeks I'll be going back to doing martial arts again.

I'm not sure how old you are, but for most folks north of 30 it definitely takes both diet (the noun) and exercise to make a difference. Until about 4 years ago I worked out regularly. When I started up again last June, it was simply to get in the habit again - fulill the commitment (to myself) of working out 1/2 hour every other day. I started by just riding my bike.

The next goal was to improve my cardio. I honestly had no target weight. I have dropped over 35 lbs, more if you count the weight I lost before last June simply by adjusting my diet. After that it naturally progresses: more exercise, even better eating habits. Just start slowly, and when you stop, start again ASAP. It is amazing once you get started how easy it to keep going, but not as weird as how quickly you can fall out of the routine again after not doing anything for 3-4 days. YMMV.

The 2 things I have done differently now than before are no (or very little) impact exercises, and while I never really was into bulking up, my goals are more endurance oriented than perfomance. I even have a routine in the mornings to work on wrist & arm strength to hold 10-12 lb weights, slowly rotating them with my arms extended and then bent upward. After a robust cardio workout. While pedaling away on a recum bike. All the better to be able to handhold a 300 f/2.8 for extended periods of time.

Start easy, but start. Now. Just do 15 minutes. A good stretching routine will take that. thumb.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2008
    I'm not a cook, I'm a recipe follower. This week we're starting our organic fruit and veg box mwink.gif and we get the common Jan veggies around here, kale, leeks, spring greens, mushrooms, a winter squash, etc. I tried looking up some recipes by searching out kale leeks and mushrooms and found one. Unfortunately, it uses cream and cheese. Any of you chefs out there *cough* stirfry *cough* have an idea of how I can turn this vegan? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? The recipe:
    500g baking potato, peeled, cut into large pieces
    200g trimmed leek(s) finely chopped
    75g curly kale, finely shredded
    50g butter
    2 tsp caraway seeds
    1 tsp paprika
    3 tsp wholegrain mustard
    2 medium free range egg yolks
    2 tbsp crème fraiche
    100g vegetarian Applewood smoked Cheddar, thinly sliced

Method

1. Bring the potatoes to boil in a medium sized saucepan and then simmer slowly for 30 minutes until cooked. Drain and dry slightly in the pan before mashing or putting through a potato ricer.

2. Saute the leek and kale in half the butter until soft. Add the spices and cook
    for a further 2 minutes.

3. Mix together the potato, vegetables, mustard, egg yolk and crème fraiche in a large bowl, and then form into 4 large cakes (or 8 small ones).

4. Heat the remaining butter in a large non-stick frying pan and gently cook the potato cakes on both sides until dark golden and crispy.

5. Top the cakes with the cheese and place under a hot grill until melting.

Serve with a shredded white cabbage and carrot salad (or as a side dish with veggie sausages).
    It just sounds kind of good and if I can make it healthier, I'll cook it up.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/