Options

Exported Lightroom images to small for SmugMug download?

SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
edited December 23, 2007 in Finishing School
I've posted this issue in Pro Sales Support. But it's sat there for almost a day w/ no answer. So I figured I'd ask the pros that live over here. I don't think it's being ignored. There just may be a pro over here that's already resolved an issue like this.

*Mods feel free to merge this thread if it takes off. I'd appreciate it if you could let it sit in here for a bit to gain visibility.

What's happening is I export images in Lr at max settings and when ppl go to download digital negatives. SM says it's too small. but I can print 20 x 30" prints still.
All the details are posted here:
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=79192

Cheers,
-Jon

Comments

• Options
    aktpicsaktpics Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I've posted this issue in Pro Sales Support. But it's sat there for almost a day w/ no answer. So I figured I'd ask the pros that live over here. I don't think it's being ignored. There just may be a pro over here that's already resolved an issue like this.

*Mods feel free to merge this thread if it takes off. I'd appreciate it if you could let it sit in here for a bit to gain visibility.

What's happening is I export images in Lr at max settings and when ppl go to download digital negatives. SM says it's too small. but I can print 20 x 30" prints still.
    All the details are posted here:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=79192

Cheers,
    -Jon
    I posted on the other thread too, but just in case you have given up on that one.

The low res download is available, which is 1 mp.
    The high res is not, which requires 4 mp.

The dimensions of the file 2151 x 1430 are about 3 mp.

I am assuming you are loosing 3 of the megapixels your camera is capable of by cropping?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I've posted this issue in Pro Sales Support. But it's sat there for almost a day w/ no answer.

For immediate answers, write our Support Heroes thanks!

I will now open LR....
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2007
    Jon,

Please check your LR settings, and the size of the file you are exporting. It must be 4mpix to be sellable as a 4mpix dig download. I just uploaded from LR, and the photos are available for all dig downloads. Be sure you haven't cropped your photo first, and that your resolution will support the 1mpix, 4mpix sizes. These have nothing to do with the resolution of the prints you can purchase, just FYI.

export-20071221-155111.jpg

andy_s_theme_site___photos___stuff-_powered_by_smugmug-20071221-155336.jpg

Looking at your gallery, the first file is only 3+ megapixels

through_the_eyes_of_jon_britt_-_egerdahl_thanksgiving_2007-20071221-155720.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    For immediate answers, write our Support Heroes thanks!
    Thanks Andy. It wasn't a crisis.
    As I posted, I was just trying to increase visiblilty.
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2007
    If the first image is 3MP. (due to cropping)
    Then why can't I select a low res image for download?
  • Options
    edited December 21, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    If the first image is 3MP. (due to cropping)
    Then why can't I select a low res image for download?
    You can - log out and see thumb.gif

We don't charge you for downloads of your own photos, that'd be evil naughty.gif
  • Options
    edited December 22, 2007
    Perfect Andy. Thanks for your help!
    Now I just need to understand how much I can crop and still provide "high res" downloads. Sounds like a good finishing school thread.

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Perfect Andy. Thanks for your help!
    Now I just need to understand how much I can crop and still provide "high res" downloads. Sounds like a good finishing school thread.

Cheers,
    -Jon

If you really wanted to make 4MP downloads available and your cropping left you with a 3MP image, you could uprez it a bit in order to end up with a larger enough file. There's no free lunch, so you aren't creating detail where there wasn't any, but it would be a work-around to the 4MP requirement.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    Yes, you can have LR upres the photos. Click the "resize to fit" and select 5000x5000 or something. That's a 25 megapixel image.

Give it a look over to see the quality -- there are limits to how large you can upres and have it look good, but you can double it in size.
  • Options
    edited December 23, 2007
    Interesting!

It will upsize as well? I figured even if you put 9000 x 9000 it would only resize to the existing size and not any further.

Very cool cat! Thanks for hat info.
    I don't need 25MP images. Just 4 for d/l's.
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Interesting!

It will upsize as well? I figured even if you put 9000 x 9000 it would only resize to the existing size and not any further.

Very cool cat! Thanks for hat info.
    I don't need 25MP images. Just 4 for d/l's.

Yes, it will upsize as well. I heard it uses the Lanczos algorithm to upsize, which is supposed to be pretty good.

This trick was news to me as well. But when I upload my images to stock, it's now a lot quicker than going to Photoshop and upsizing there, as that generates a physical copy I don't want.