Options

YANHTIWIDHTD: smcomments2keywords.pl

darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
Yet [thread=73646]Another[/thread] Nasty Hack That I Wish I Didn't Have To Do:

smcomments2keywords.pl: a hack that will take the last hour's (or more) worth of comments and if they have "keyword:" or "tag:" in them, convert them to actual keywords.

Why I did this:
http://gladlee.smugmug.com/gallery/3669791

So while it was fun and all, my 40+ hours of hacking wouldn't have been necessary if SmugMug [thread=73349]allowed Keyword tagging for password-authenticated guests[/thread].

On the other hand, the whole [thread=70063]wiggy keyword UI issue[/thread] would totally screw up my users, not to mention the fact that [thread=72264]one stray semi-colon[/thread] from somebody's Photoshop-tagged images will force *all* of the keywords to be semi-colon delimited, again, screwing up my users.

*Sigh* if only they could we could have SmugMug's great security model (really, one of my favorite things) but with Flickr's tagging UI (see attached).

(And well, their drag-and-drop organizer kind of beats the pants off of Bulk This and Bulk That from a drop-down menu.)

Well, anyways, it's pretty much done, so I can sleep again. It sure would be nice though if [thread=73868]Captchas got turned off for password-authenticated users[/thread], so that my hack was a little less inelegant.

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    darryl wrote:
    So while it was fun and all, my 40+ hours of hacking wouldn't have been necessary if SmugMug [thread=73349]allowed Keyword tagging for password-authenticated guests[/thread]
    Hi Darryl,

Thanks for letting us know how important this is to you. I'll take this opportunity to also say that we have many items on our development plate, and a finite amount of development resources. We wish we could do everything that every single person shouts at us for, but that's impossible.

Our sorcerers and team are aware of your request. Right now, the focus is on some other things.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited October 18, 2007
    Darryl,

Sounds pretty cool...but with all the cross linking, it looks like you forgot to actually attach the script lol3.gif

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    Darryl,

Sounds pretty cool...but with all the cross linking, it looks like you forgot to actually attach the script lol3.gif

David

DOH! You mean with all my blathering on... Sorry, it was late. And sorry Andy to sound like a broken record. I was tired and venting. :-/

Still, happy to be done with this project. For now.