Options

Preventing Mugging, Burglary, and Theft

SCS_PhotoSCS_Photo Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
edited October 3, 2007 in The Big Picture
What steps do you do to prevent Mugging, Burglary, and Theft?

Have you ever had your gear stolen, and how did you respond/change your habits?

Comments

• Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    I have never had my gear stolen. I figure if I have a tripod or monopod in hand I could likely do more damage to my mugger than they could do to me. So, I guess you could make your gear a weapon.
    However, I have an insurance policy on my gear. Doesn't cost too much, and it will cover anything from theft to me accidentally setting up too close to a cliff. Good idea (not the cliff, the insurance) - pretty cheap. I go through state farm. I get a deal because I have car, renters, etc. through them as well.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    Same here. Never had a problem & I really don't know if it's just luck or something to do with the way I behave. I try to be aware of my situation--and make it somewhat apparent that I am. I try to have confident body language (i.e., "I'm not a victim and will be too much trouble to rob"). I also use common sense; keep the gear secure on me (strap across chest, not just over shoulder), bag secure, don't flaunt the camera, and if I get a bad vibe from somewhere, move on.
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2007
    I never had my gear stolen, one thing never ever leave your gear in your car. I have had so many photo buddies gear stolen cause they leave it in their car.

I always carry mine with me everywhere, if I get a bad vibe from shooting certain place here in NYC I just move on to another area. ON the subways here in the city I usually just keep it in my bag. While shooting its usually around my neck or tired to my wrist.
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro