Options

Mounted canvas?

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited November 18, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Does anyone have any personal experience with the mounted canvas prints here at smugmug?

I'd like to order one for my mother for mother's day, but I'm concerned about whether the wrapping and mounting will cause any of the print to be lost on the sides of the mount.

Also, is the Giclee clear coat that Baldy mentioned in a previous thread put on automatically or do I need to request it.

I want to order two of these 11x14. I'm just wondering if the wrap will cause me to lose some of the photo or do I need to crop this shot less tightly.

142039566-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited April 26, 2007
    Does this help? There is info on this page about the size & finish. --- Denise
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    For gallery wrap, not enough breathing room at the top of this one, Mitchell... order it rolled and have it framed locally if you like.

The Giclee is handled as part of the process, and you do not need to request it.
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2007
    Denise, you've come to my rescue once again. I'll go back and resize this photo so none of the portrait is lost.

Any personal experience with how these look? $60 is a lot of money (although nothing is too good for mom)!
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2007
    11 x 14 showing, actual print size 12.25 X 15.4

Just curious.:D

Can a 1.25 x 1.4 border or slightly less be added for the wrap area?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2007
    I reworked and resized this print to the 15.4 x 12.25 size required by cloning in some additional border. These areas will be folded around the frame so they should not be too noticeable.

147224920-M.jpg

I am eager to see the quality of these mounted canvas prints. I'll report back when I see the results.

Thanks again for the replies.
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2007
    I haven't seen it yet, but my mother just called and reported the arrival of "One of the most beautiful photos" she has ever seen. She says it looks like a fine art painting.

Keep in mind that my mother has an extremely critical eye when it comes to these things.

Of course I'm up for "Son of the year" with this Mother's day present. Way to go Smugmug with this new item.thumb.gif I'll be ordering more.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    Mitchell wrote:
    I haven't seen it yet, but my mother just called and reported the arrival of "One of the most beautiful photos" she has ever seen. She says it looks like a fine art painting.

Keep in mind that my mother has an extremely critical eye when it comes to these things.

Of course I'm up for "Son of the year" with this Mother's day present. Way to go Smugmug with this new item.thumb.gif I'll be ordering more.
    clap.gif well, you did the important part, making a great photo :D

We're so happy your Mom loved the canvas!
  • Options
    jecottrelljecottrell Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2008
    I know this post is a little "stale", but I found something that may be of interest to those facing similar problems with border areas when wrapping...

pixel outpost mirrors the edge of the image for the wrap so you don't have to clone in extra border area. FWIW.