Options

google search

2»

Comments

• Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2007
    dmc wrote:
    I would be glad to put a password on my site if, once entered, visitors could utilize my keywords, MapThis, and whatever else breaks after the password is added.

Agree. This is single feature that I most desire.
  • Options
    DnaDna Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    pat.kane wrote:
    Agree. This is single feature that I most desire.
    Rando wrote:
    But for current customers to have control of a meta tag, a robots.txt file (maybe even a .htaccess file) is a bit of a stretch?
    Smugmug works perfectly for me. I am a pro shooting lifesaving in Australia. I photograph children from under 7 to under 18 and I password those galleries. I photograph the seniors and I don't password the galleries, instead I keyword them for Google and the other search engines to find. All the feedback that I have had from the parents is that they love seeing their kids photos, that the site works perfectly and is easy to navigate. We haven't had anyone who has complained or asked that their kids photos be removed. Something that we'd be only too happy to do. How many photos do we have online ? Over 50,000 from the past 4 years.

I don't mind that the search doesn't work with passworded galleries, everything is arranged in a logical order and is easy to find. Smugmugs hierarchy of categories, sub-categories and galleries works very well and forces me to not make photos too deep in the file structure. ;)

My other personal/work site is the same. All the family and friends photos are passworded and all the other work photos are keyworded.

It might be a case of working with whats there, rather than jumping up and down and complaining that everything to do with security is broken because it doesn't match your particular requirements.

Andrew
  • Options
    RandoRando Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Dna wrote:
    Smugmug works perfectly for me. I am a pro shooting lifesaving in Australia. I photograph children from under 7 to under 18 and I password those galleries. I photograph the seniors and I don't password the galleries, instead I keyword them for Google and the other search engines to find. All the feedback that I have had from the parents is that they love seeing their kids photos, that the site works perfectly and is easy to navigate. We haven't had anyone who has complained or asked that their kids photos be removed. Something that we'd be only too happy to do. How many photos do we have online ? Over 50,000 from the past 4 years.

I don't mind that the search doesn't work with passworded galleries, everything is arranged in a logical order and is easy to find. Smugmugs hierarchy of categories, sub-categories and galleries works very well and forces me to not make photos too deep in the file structure. ;)

My other personal/work site is the same. All the family and friends photos are passworded and all the other work photos are keyworded.

It might be a case of working with whats there, rather than jumping up and down and complaining that everything to do with security is broken because it doesn't match your particular requirements.

Andrew

So because you don't have any problems I should just stop jumping up and down and complaining. This is the smugmug SUPPORT forum not the smugmug IDONTHAVEANYPROBLEMS forum.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Rando wrote:
    So because you don't have any problems I should just stop jumping up and down and complaining. This is the smugmug SUPPORT forum not the smugmug IDONTHAVEANYPROBLEMS forum.
    lol3.gif true, true! We want to hear it all.
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    Rando wrote:
    Dna wrote:
    mwink.gif
    Andrew
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    Dna wrote:
    mwink.gif
    Andrew

You have provided such a tremendous amount of insight to this thread.
    rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    TheDuckTheDuck Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited February 26, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    Hmmm... That's a very good question I don't know the answer to, but I'll find out tomorrow.

And....?

Be seeing you,
    The Duck
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    Rando wrote:
    You have provided such a tremendous amount of insight to this thread.
    rolleyes1.gif
    If the Smugmug system isn't working for you, you have 2 choices.
    Go somewhere else.
    Work with whats there.

I have no problem with you jumping up and down to request features.
    I'm saying that I worked with how Smugmug works and found a way to implement what I wanted to do. I had to make a couple of compromises but I have a system that I am happy with.

So what are you going to do if Smugmug can't implement what you are requesting for technical reasons ?

Andrew
  • Options
    edited February 26, 2007
    Dna wrote:
    If the Smugmug system isn't working for you, you have 2 choices.
    Go somewhere else.
    Work with whats there.
    Thanks for re-stating in different words what's already been said (and adding in a bit of "take it or leave it" attitude):
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=490543&postcount=6&highlight=only+things
    Dna wrote:
    I have no problem with you jumping up and down to request features.
    I'm saying that I worked with how Smugmug works and found a way to implement what I wanted to do. I had to make a couple of compromises but I have a system that I am happy with.
    Good for you. Move along. There's nothing for you to see here then.
    Dna wrote:
    So what are you going to do if Smugmug can't implement what you are requesting for technical reasons ?

Andrew
    http://coppermine-gallery.net/index.php
    http://gallery.menalto.com/
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2007
    interesting.... ok, I changed my lastname to gooblldeegook (but spelled differently) ... My real lastname is still bringing up my site via search, but I will give it time for the search indexing to update and try again tomorrow.

FYI: my site is still displayed when using Smugmug search on my real last name....

I'm referring to this discussion:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=491920&postcount=23
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2007
    dmc wrote:

FYI: my site is still displayed when using Smugmug search on my real last name....

I'm referring to this discussion:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=491920&postcount=23
    I don't know how long that takes to "fall off" dmc. Or if, so keep us posted on that. Thanks.
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I don't know how long that takes to "fall off" dmc. Or if, so keep us posted on that. Thanks.

hey.. it fell off!

"one small step for man... one giant leap for..." ahhh, better save that for something bigger!
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2007
    Here's a new one. And I have my entire sm acct locked down (and I'm not logged in, cookies are cleared)

Do a google search like allinurl: yoursmnickname sspopup
    Click on the indexed link and it'll go to the password page (like it's supposed to)
    Click on the cached link and it will load images from that gallery in
    a slideshow.

The gallery was once public but had been changed to private and my entire sm site locked down. edit: and my nickname changed, this was a search result from my old nickname.

Just to be clear, my acct is locked down, and the google cache is loading pictures from my gallery (specifically from upload.smugmug.com).
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2007
    Rando wrote:
    Here's a new one. And I have my entire sm acct locked down (and I'm not logged in, cookies are cleared)

Do a google search like allinurl: yoursmnickname sspopup
    Click on the indexed link and it'll go to the password page (like it's supposed to)
    Click on the cached link and it will load images from that gallery in
    a slideshow.
    Can you be more specific, I can't reproduce with what you've given, thanks.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Can you be more specific, I can't reproduce with what you've given, thanks.

I'll pm you the google search results.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2007
    Also, doing a google search for "allinurl: yoursmnickname newexif" does something similar.

Again my acct is locked down.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2007
    Rando wrote:
    Also, doing a google search for "allinurl: yoursmnickname newexif" does something similar.

Again my acct is locked down.
    Right - well the reason they have it in the first place is that you were Publicly searchable at one point, and google caches stuff. That sspopup (it's the full screen slideshow) is being served from google's computers, not ours.

The reason you can pop in an image ID and construct a url is that you have external links enabled. Turn them off in your galleries and folks can't see the photos.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Right - well the reason they have it in the first place is that you were Publicly searchable at one point, and google caches stuff. That sspopup (it's the full screen slideshow) is being served from google's computers, not ours.

The reason you can pop in an image ID and construct a url is that you have external links enabled. Turn them off in your galleries and folks can't see the photos.

It is being served from smugmug:
    1. Do the google search as described
    2. Load the cached result
    3. In safari go to "window > activity", and you can see the images being loaded from upload.smugmug.com

So even though my site is in full lockdown, I still have to go in and disable ext links?

edit:Disabling links doesn't stop the slideshow.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2007
    Rando wrote:
    It is being served from smugmug:
    1. Do the google search as described
    2. Load the cached result
    3. In safari go to "window > activity", and you can see the images being loaded from upload.smugmug.com

So even though my site is in full lockdown, I still have to go in and disable ext links?
    Sorry- I went to our product manager and checked - the images are not coming from upload.smugmug.com they are coming from google's cache, which we can't control, I wish we could.

Yeah, you should disable your external links, that's a key component of this if you are concerned about image security.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2007
    I'm sorry Andy but your product manager is wrong, I'm watching it load every image one by one from upload.smugmug.com in safari's activity window (not from google which is 64.233.167.104)

In IE and firefox do a view source and again you can see the images are coming from upload.smugmug.com not google.

Disabling external links doesn't stop the slideshow
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2007
    Rando wrote:
    I'm sorry Andy but your product manager is wrong, I'm watching it load every image one by one from upload.smugmug.com in safari's activity window (not from google which is 64.233.167.104)

In IE and firefox do a view source and again you can see the images are coming from upload.smugmug.com not google.
    I've asked Ben to post here. Thanks for your patience.

Disabling external links doesn't stop the slideshow[/QUOTE]
    I didn't say that it would, that's just good practice is all I was saying. Stay tuned, thanks!
  • Options
    BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 2, 2007
    Rando wrote:
    I'm sorry Andy but your product manager is wrong

Yup... looks like it. Usually when we see images still displayed in google cache, it is because they have cached it and are displaying it (which is out of our hands), but it looks like it doesn't do that for the current fullscreen slideshow. It looks like there is a permissions issue with cached versions of the slideshow code, where the permissions have since changed. If that is the case, it would only affect cases like this... but either way I will get it added to the bug list so it can get fixed.

Sorry for the inconvenience.:cry
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2007
    Hmmm, it seems to be doing that with ALL my cached galleries on google that was once public, not just slideshows, even though now those galleries are set to private and my entire smugmug password protected.

Ultimately I thought password protecting my entire acct would be the end all, but it seems not.

Deleteing my galleries is not yet an option since google still has those indexed (meaning they haven't crawled back yet) those galleries need to exist in order for the proper meta tags can be seen by google to remove them from indexing. If I delete, they'll just end up getting forwarded to www.smugmug.com and then there would be no possible way to get de-indexed.

Let me restate. It's a catch 22, to get de-indexed by galleries have to exist.
    For any page to get de-indexed google needs to see one of the following:
    1. the robots meta tag
    2. a robots.txt
    3. a 404 error (page no longer exists) via htaccess

As of now, I only have control of the robots meta tag when I password protect.

If I delete my galleries google will never see any of those conditions to remove me from their index because it just gets forwarded to www.smugmug.com and will never see a noindex, nofollow meta tag.

If I don't delete so google sees the noindex, nofollow tag, people can still get to my galleries thru what's cache because of smugmug's file permission issues.
  • Options
    jwilkinsonjwilkinson Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Rando wrote:
    This does NOT work for smugmug for two reasons (and your smugmug galleries will never get de-indexed):
    1. smugmug doesn't allow you to control the robots.txt file
    2. smugmug forces the meta tag:
    META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="ALL, INDEX, FOLLOW"
    which conflicts if you add the required meta tag to remove:
    META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW"

FWIW, Google says (url below) that if there are multiple commands it uses the most restrictive. So presumably if you have both META tags, it'll use the NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW. You should test it though to be sure that's the behavior in your specific case, using the google webmaster tools.

Official Google Webmaster Central Blog: Using the robots meta tag
    http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2007/03/using-robots-meta-tag.html
    (good details for how google interprets them)

Of course just because google operates this way doesn't mean that any other webcrawler does. The robots.txt stuff has some undefined areas and anyone is free to use their own search crawler with their own option settings anyway.

So even if you did tell all of them to ignore your pages, the only *real* way to keep pervs out of somewhere is to password-protect it. Strictly private url may work for many cases, but only login control is definite.

jeff
  • Options
    jwilkinsonjwilkinson Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited March 6, 2007
    Rando wrote:
    ...If I delete my galleries google will never see any of those conditions to remove me from their index because it just gets forwarded to www.smugmug.com and will never see a noindex, nofollow meta tag.

If I don't delete so google sees the noindex, nofollow tag, people can still get to my galleries thru what's cache because of smugmug's file permission issues.

Have you tried contacting google directly on this? Their webmaster tools are providing better ways for webmasters to see what exactly google is doing for their sites and to control that, and to contact google about problems.

If you've talked to google, what did they say?
    jeff
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2007
    @jwilkinson

Thanks for the comments. I took a look at the webmasters tools and it tells me what's been indexed in a more organized manner.

I've going to town with google's url automatic remover submitting 100 or so at a time but it just seems the more I submit to remove, the more hits popup and with pages I have no control over like /keywords, /hack, /sspopup, etc.

I have not personally spoken with anyone from google but I'm sure they would just refer me to the url remover page (which shows you how to add the proper meta tags and robots.txt file).

I do have my entire site locked down with a password, but the issue I have now is you can still get to my photos thru the cached results (see Ben's post above).

The only thing I can do now is to delete all my photos but just keep those galleries empty.

Another wierd thing that has come up is someone picked up my old smugmug nick and if you click on the indexed URL, the text of my gallery is meshed with his smugmug account.

I just want to get de-indexed.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2007
    Just for follow-up on this, I've finally been de-indexed off google. It took ~5 months.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Rando wrote:
    Just for follow-up on this, I've finally been de-indexed off google. It took ~5 months.
    that's quite some time... Thanks for getting back to us with this thumb.gif
  • Options
    iambackiamback Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited June 19, 2007
    Still robbing banks...
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Duck - Ouch, I see that you are upset- I'll be sure that Anne McBean, who writes our pages, sees this. We'll certainly take your comments to heart, thanks for posting them.
    I still see that same text about robbing a bank on http://www.smugmug.com/help/private-photo-storage .

While I do want search engines to index my pages, I find this wordage to be insulting as well. Will it ever be changed?
    Marjolein Katsma
    Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos
  • Options
    edited June 19, 2007
    iamback wrote:
    I still see that same text about robbing a bank on http://www.smugmug.com/help/private-photo-storage .

While I do want search engines to index my pages, I find this wordage to be insulting as well. Will it ever be changed?
    "Look into" does not mean we change it.

I'm sorry you are unhappy with our help page wording.