Options

Issue with email invitations

13»

Comments

• Options
    mkress65mkress65 Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    Image received as an image and not as garbled text; I used the Comcast webmail interface. I was also able to read all associated text.

Appears to be fixed.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    mkress65 wrote:
    Image received as an image and not as garbled text; I used the Comcast webmail interface. I was also able to read all associated text.

Appears to be fixed.
    Yeah! Thanks for helping!

IMPT: This is still on our internal servers, but we'll get it to the live site soon. I'll announce it when we do.

Thanks everyone for your patience clap.gifclap.gif

{JT} To The Rescue!!! bowdown.gifbowdown.gifbowdown.gif
  • Options
    mkress65mkress65 Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    This is an incorrect assumption. I do not know why your Hotmail, Windows Live Beta isn't working, but we've used the function plenty with Hotmail and I just validated, Windows Live Beta Hotmail. Here is a screenshot: Perhaps it's something to do with your sending-from account, or perhaps there's a setting, I don't know. I didn't do anything, just installed or clicked for live beta, and boom, there it was....
    Since this problem appears to be with my account I don't expect any SmugMug action on this issue, but in case anyone else has any problems, or if SmugMug's technical support staff knows how Zenfolio sends their invitations as compared to how SmugMug sends them, the Zenfolio invitiation I sent to all my email address (gmail, hotmail, yahoo, and comcast) work fine. I have been unable to find any settings that would prevent my hotmail account from receiving the email from SmugMug, so I will send an email to Hotmail support and see if they can help. If so, I will post more here.
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    AOL - we're working on that. But greenpea, you said your Mom could see your email fine in AOL's email client- do you know which version she has? ear.gif

Sorry for the terribly slow reply Andy, but I was wrong all along, turns out my brother went and set my mom up with AOL's web client at some point.

But it sounds like you got it fixed for AOL anyways. As always, thanks for all your help!
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2007
    PhotoPsych wrote:
    Not so sure it is fixed for AOL. I just attempted to "share" and image from my Smugmug account through Firefox, and more jibberish appeared in my AOL mail.
    Karlne_nau.gif
    We have not applied the fix to the live site yet. But we will soon, I'm sure.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    We have not applied the fix to the live site yet. But we will soon, I'm sure.
    I do not expect that this fix will go out until the end of this week, sorry folks, but we appreciate everyone's patience, as ever.
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2007
    Andy, Comcast appears to still trying to fix the problem on their end.
    Nothing more should be needed from your end regarding this issue. The webmail team has a copy of the email causing this issue and they are in the process of investigating it. I don't have any updates on a resolution time right now but this may take several weeks to develop anything and push out into production. But as soon as I hear back anything from the webmail team, I'll make sure to post an update.

Thanks

I'm wondering if I should tell Comcast to give up since the smugmug fix appears like it might be deployed sooner, and I would hate it if the Comcast fix (that I requested) srewed up the smugmug fix.
    Andy wrote:
    I do not expect that this fix will go out until the end of this week, sorry folks, but we appreciate everyone's patience, as ever.

Oh and again, thanks for stepping up and fixing something that you guys could have easily said was the other guys fault and just left it at that!
    Andrew

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    edited February 13, 2007
    greenpea wrote:
    Andy, Comcast appears to still trying to fix the problem on their end.

I'm wondering if I should tell Comcast to give up since the smugmug fix appears like it might be deployed sooner, and I would hate it if the Comcast fix (that I requested) srewed up the smugmug fix.

Oh and again, thanks for stepping up and fixing something that you guys could have easily said was the other guys fault and just left it at that!
    hi 'pea - it's our pleasure - and I only wish we could have it on the site NOW vs. end of the week...

Our guys dont' think that Comcast could "undo" what we're doing to fix it, so I wouldn't worry .. but then again...
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2007
    Happy to report, that we made a change to the email share option, and mail to Windows Live Beta Hotmail, AOL, and Comcast should all work fine.

Please let us know!

Thanks for your patience :D

clap.gif
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    Looks like imageinc should have been a bit more patient. thumb.gif Good job guys.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Happy to report, that we made a change to the email share option, and mail to Windows Live Beta Hotmail, AOL, and Comcast should all work fine.

Please let us know!

Thanks for your patience :D

clap.gif

Verified for comcast!

WHOOO HOOO!!!! clap.gifwings.gif :ivar

Thanks much!!!
    Andrew

• Options
    papajaypapajay Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2007
    And verified AOK from Comcast to AOL
    greenpea wrote:
    Verified for comcast!

WHOOO HOOO!!!! clap.gifwings.gif :ivar

Thanks much!!!

I just sent an invitation (from my comcast account) to an aol recipient who had previously received gobbledeguk on a couple of earlier attempts...all OK now!

Pass along some kudos to the Smugmug team for geting this fixed in retlatively short order. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2007
    papajay wrote:

Pass along some kudos to the Smugmug team for geting this fixed in retlatively short order. bowdown.gif
    clap.gif thanks Papa
  • Options
    slestakslestak Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 14, 2008
    technical details about fix
    Hi Andy,

I have a similar issue where my app can send attachments to anyone except comcast webmail customers. Could we discuss the fix that worked for you.

I guess comcast never resolved things on their end after 13 months because the issue is still present. Ive sent text and binary files to a client from a script in uuencode and base64 and comcast is either mangling or otherwise screwing this up.

Thanks,

Steve

[spelling]
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2008
    slestak wrote:
    Hi Andy,

I have a similar issue where my app can send attachments to anyone except comcast webmail customers. Could we discuss the fix that worked for you.

I guess comcast never resolved things on their end after 13 months because the issue is still present. Ive sent text and binary files to a client from a script in uuencode and base64 and comcast is either mangling or otherwise screwing this up.

Thanks,

Steve

[spelling]

I know this was directed at Andy, but I thought I would chime in since I did contacted Comcast technical support about this issue. I can confirm that although I did get a response from the tech support people Comcast didn't do anything on their end to fix this; the fix was all smugmug.
    Andrew

• Options
    edited March 14, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    I know this was directed at Andy, but I thought I would chime in since I did contacted Comcast technical support about this issue. I can confirm that although I did get a response from the tech support people Comcast didn't do anything on their end to fix this; the fix was all smugmug.

I found a paragraph on comcast webamil faq discussing "protecting their users " by not rendering activex, javascript, embedded scripts". I guess my excel spreadsheet sent from an aix box looks too suspicious for them.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2008
    slestak wrote:
    I found a paragraph on comcast webamil faq discussing "protecting their users " by not rendering activex, javascript, embedded scripts". I guess my excel spreadsheet sent from an aix box looks too suspicious for them.

Did you try zipping up the excel spreadsheet before sending it? This has resolved problems I've had in the past with sending attached documents and spreadsheets.
    Andrew

• Options
    edited March 14, 2008
    greenpea wrote:
    Did you try zipping up the excel spreadsheet before sending it? This has resolved problems I've had in the past with sending attached documents and spreadsheets.

i did a while ago, i think im about to move on, I've lost so much time on this project. I may just recommend they get a gmail account.
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2008
    greenpea wrote:

the plot thickens, gmail will not render it in webmail either.

guess i still have to fix it rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2008
    resolved - bill campbell is the man!
    If anyone else runs into this sort of error, use mutt.

works like a champ, and there is a package for most unixes.

reference http://http://www.webservertalk.com/message1805027.html

wings.gif
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2008
    slestak wrote:

You could also put the document on google documents and share it out from there.
    Andrew