Options

New exif info box?

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited February 8, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Did I miss a memo or am I just not paying attention? When did the EXIF box get tabs? And when did it start displaying a pretty good focal length guess for crop sensor bodies? I assume you are now ignoring image crop and simply multiplying reported mm x proper sensor crop factor, yes? Sweet!:clap

I love it, nice job folks!:bow

Comments

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Did I miss a memo or am I just not paying attention? When did the EXIF box get tabs? And when did it start displaying a pretty good focal length guess for crop sensor bodies? I assume you are now ignoring image crop and simply multiplying reported mm x proper sensor crop factor, yes? Sweet!clap.gif

I love it, nice job folks!bowdown.gif
    Pretty neat huh? Click "Photo Information" at top to open full page.

Don't like data split on two tabs, "detail" tab should be all.

Big problem, LOST the FILENAME!!
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    Not that big a problem, and easy to fix. Stay tuned...

Sorry for the hassle!
    In the meantime, focus on the tabby-goodness that bigwebguy has made :D
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 8, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Not that big a problem, and easy to fix. Stay tuned...

Sorry for the hassle!
    In the meantime, focus on the tabby-goodness that bigwebguy has made :D
    Sorry about the missing filename, it will be back shortly.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    mkress65mkress65 Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    I like the concept behind the "basic" and "detailed" tabs -- but I expected them to behave more like "less info" and "more info" tabs such that when I clicked on "basic" I would get a subset of "detailed" with "detailed" showing all the basic information plus more (perhaps delineated w/ horizontal lines between "basic" and "detailed" as has been suggested previously). Also, maybe its just because I have uploaded my pictures incorrectly, but the "detailed" tab actually has 4 elements of information and the basic tab has 8.

Yes, I realize that I can click on "Photo Information" and that it will open a new tab w/ a small image and all the exif -- but "Photo Information" text in the header doesn't really invite clicking and I'd like the option to get all the info on the same page as the big image. But I really do like the idea of a "basic" info tab.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2007
    mkress65 wrote:
    I like the concept behind the "basic" and "detailed" tabs -- but I expected them to behave more like "less info" and "more info" tabs such that when I clicked on "basic" I would get a subset of "detailed" with "detailed" showing all the basic information plus more (perhaps delineated w/ horizontal lines between "basic" and "detailed" as has been suggested previously).
    this is intentional to make it all easier to read and not replicate info.
    Also, maybe its just because I have uploaded my pictures incorrectly, but the "detailed" tab actually has 4 elements of information and the basic tab has 8.
    This depends entirely on the exif reported from different cameras.... and how the photo was post processed, too.
    Yes, I realize that I can click on "Photo Information" and that it will open a new tab w/ a small image and all the exif -- but "Photo Information" text in the header doesn't really invite clicking and I'd like the option to get all the info on the same page as the big image. But I really do like the idea of a "basic" info tab.
    Thanks for the great feedback. Based on other feedback we've received, we've implemented it in the current manner. But your opinion counts and I've made sure that the team has seen this!

Cheers :D
  • Options
    mkress65mkress65 Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    this is intentional to make it all easier to read and not replicate info. This depends entirely on the exif reported from different cameras.... and how the photo was post processed, too.Thanks for the great feedback. Based on other feedback we've received, we've implemented it in the current manner. But your opinion counts and I've made sure that the team has seen this!

Cheers :D

Thanks Andy. I'm curious as to why the majority of users want to click between 2 boxes or open a new tab to view all the exif information -- was the issue screen real estate?

Also, if it is going to stay in its current configuration, then I would suggest making the "Photo Information" text invite clicking -- for those few of us who like to see all the exif information on one page or for those of us w/ web visitors who don't hover their mouse over all the text in the box to see if its clickable.

Thanks,
  • Options
    Jill BazeleyJill Bazeley Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2007
    Scared me for a minute...
    ...because I immediately clicked on the "Detailed" box and thought half the EXIF was missing, not realizing some of it was under the "Basic" tab. The boxes seems to work well, but I'd like to see "Flash," "Exposure Program," and "Exposure Bias" included with the "Basic" elements.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited February 8, 2007
    It sounds to me like what everyone really wants is Basic/Expert -- with Expert showing everything simultaneously.

I'm in that camp as well, so here's another vote for filling those tabs by characteristic of the audience, rather than characteristic of the data item.
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2007
    Allen wrote:

Filenames are back, w00p bigwebguy :D
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Filenames are back, w00p bigwebguy :D
    clap.gifclapclap.gif Great work.wings.gif
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    clap.gifclapclap.gif Great work Dev.wings.gif
    :nono that was Lee :D
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    :nono that was Lee :D
    I realized it after I hit save.eek7.gif Quickly edited it.:D You're just too darn fast.

Way to go Leeclap.gif