Options

Need some advice...

lifesdisciplelifesdisciple Registered Users Posts: 231 Major grins
edited December 7, 2006 in Technique
So first i need to explain. I am a contractor by trade who remodels homes. The home I am working on belongs to a beautiful family who is very kind. The nicest I have worked for in many years. They lost a daughter a few years ago as a baby and have dried up roses from the funeral in a vase near her picture. The roses are falling apart and the mother is concerned she will loose them forever. I thought of an idea to do a macro shot of the roses, frame it and give it as a gift for being such wonderful people. I took this photo yesterday of the roses. I used a wide open aperature and made my focus on the one rose to the right. Was this a good idea? Should I have increased the DOF and focused on all the flowers? I did just the one signifying the one lost. What else do you think this picture needs? Too dark? Should I reshoot with more DOF? Please help. I will be finishing up at this home in a few days and will have no other chances to shoot without them knowing. All your critique is appreciated. So whip me please. Here is the photo..
111017332-M.jpg

Michael - Life's Disciple

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi

www.lifesdisciple.com

Comments

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2006
    Might be cool in B&W.
    Just a thought.
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2006
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Might be cool in B&W.
    Just a thought.

hmm. didn't think of that. I'll give it a try and see how it looks. thanks for the advice.

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,931 moderator
    edited November 18, 2006
    I think it's a nice gesture. If you can reshoot, I would try to frame the shot so that one entire rose is in sharp focus--if that's possible. I like the blur in the background, so I wouldn't try to increase the DOF too much. As for B&W, while it might be cool, it might also be a little too somber under the circumstances. ne_nau.gif Just a thought.

Regards,
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited November 18, 2006
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    I think it's a nice gesture. If you can reshoot, I would try to frame the shot so that one entire rose is in sharp focus--if that's possible. I like the blur in the background, so I wouldn't try to increase the DOF too much. As for B&W, while it might be cool, it might also be a little too somber under the circumstances. ne_nau.gif Just a thought.

Regards,

very thoughtful-

yes, try to get the one entire rose-

if you do bw, maybe some type of toned bw-

good luck-

please post if you reshoot-
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2006
    Thanks for the tips. Monday I will try the one rose. What do you think about maybe shooting the whole vase and roses as one. Maybe bring a small black backdrop and place it with some back-lighting? The vase is crystal so the light would reflect nice. Thanks agian.

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    Sounds like a good idea to me. Then, take several different shots. You never know what they will like & in this case the more the better.
  • Options
    01af01af Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    To save the roses as a photograph sure is a nice idea. However using a wide aperture and narrow DOF was not so good. Still, keep the photograph until you're sure you got a better one. After all, while it's not perfect it still is fairly good.

Try to re-shoot and use a small aperture, like f/11 or f/16. You will need either flash, or a tripod and a slow shutter speed, to compensate for the small aperture. Flash is difficult as it will bring a completely different mood into the image which may or may not be appreciable ... most likely not. So use a tripod if possible. Take several shots---close-ups as the one you already have, and some totals, too.

In my opinion, black-and-white is not a good idea, as the very particular colour of the dried roses is a vital part of their character that you want to conserve. Don't throw that away!

-- Olaf
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2006
    so i took everybody's advice into consideration as well as my own ideas. this is what i got. i like it much better than the first and think i may go with this. but i would like to hear what others think. it is an improvement? anything you might change? thanks so much for your help.
    111770108-L.jpg

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2006
    Lifesdipisciple,

I think this is wonderful gesture. I am sure the family will be pleased, as well as surprised. Kudos for the gesture. clap.gif

It's really hard to see everything at this small size, but I think it might look better if the bottom was cropped off giving more of a square aspect ratio.

If you would like to see some alternet post prosessing, I am sure quite a few people here would be willing to give it a go from the original.

Sam
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2006
    Sam wrote:
    Lifesdipisciple,

I think this is wonderful gesture. I am sure the family will be pleased, as well as surprised. Kudos for the gesture. clap.gif

It's really hard to see everything at this small size, but I think it might look better if the bottom was cropped off giving more of a square aspect ratio.

If you would like to see some alternet post prosessing, I am sure quite a few people here would be willing to give it a go from the original.

Sam

hello sam. thanks for the kind words. you know, that might not be a bad idea. if anyone has an idea and would like to give it a try you have my permission. thanks for your help

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2006
    hello sam. thanks for the kind words. you know, that might not be a bad idea. if anyone has an idea and would like to give it a try you have my permission. thanks for your help

I would be happy to give it a go. Where can I get the original image? Also, was it shot in RAW?

Sam
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    I think it's a lovely guesture. I would stay with the color. The flowers are already almost sepia toned and the color adds warmth to what many would consider a depressing shot. B&W would be too emotionally "heavy". I agree with Sam to crop a little more off the bottom. I like the shallow DOF. :saurora
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    MUCH better. I really like the new shot. clap.gif

I think it needs to stay in color. If you do a B&W, then it needs to be toned to put some color back; like everyone else said, straight B&W will be too depressing.
  • Options
    El KiwiEl Kiwi Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2006
    This is a really nice idea! I didn't like the first shot too much, I found it a bit busy and lacking a real focus. I *really* like the second. I wish I was clever enough to give a lot of suggestions!

Oh, and I agree about not needing the B+W, since the roses are almost sepia as they are it looks really nice. If you do decide to desaturate, have a look at this first:

http://www.zenadsl5251.zen.co.uk/photos/desat.html

...which is not quite B+W, and IMO gives photos a warmer tone that could look really nice. Sorry, I don't have Photoshop or time at the moment, or I'd try it myself.

Good luck, what you're doing is a really great gesture, they'll love it.
    Constructive criticism always welcome!
    "Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2006
    Sam wrote:
    I would be happy to give it a go. Where can I get the original image? Also, was it shot in RAW?

Sam
    Hello Sam. Here is a link to the original and no I do not shoot in Raw. Not sure if my photo editing tools can edit Raw and really dont know how much better a Raw file is over the largest size jpg. but anyways. here's the link. and thanks again.
    http://lifesdisciple.smugmug.com/photos/111770108-O.jpg

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2006
    Ok here is my take on the flowers. Will be interesting to see what the others come up with.

Sam
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    just a thought. You could try taking a brand new rose and drop it right in the batch of the flowers. Showing the memory still lives on..
    Some might see this differently than I though...

(just me) Yanking the shot and doing this work doesn't do you any good at all as far as creating this shot. It needs to come from your heart and mind since it is such a personal gesture.

So w/ this comment, that makes this my .04
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    That is a very nice and warm gestrure. Even though I don't know you or the family, I thank you for extending yourself and doing a thoughtful and kind act.

Okay ...about the pix, what bothers me about the roses are they look terribly dead ... I think a sepia-tone would add a timelessness and eliminate/reduce the dead look. Maybe PS red back into the roses (if they were once red) ... but you gotta be careful with that ... may be stepping on a few toes.

Gary
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    The composition on the second shot is 100% better than the first. The eye knows where to go.

I'd try shooting it with different depths of field. A blurry base is good, but I think perhaps too many flowers are also blurry. Be interesting to see a variety of DOFs to choose which looked best. As it is, the bottom half of the image is kinda lacking anything to look at.

The brown against white somehow doesn't look all that nice. I wonder if you can get a red filter (or other complimentary color) to tinge the white background? Failing that, maybe a delicate hand in photoshop?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DYancyDYancy Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited November 22, 2006
    My ex-wife and I lost our daughter three years ago. She was almost 2 years old at the time. Coming from someone who has been there and treasured things of hers (like these roses) I can tell you that this is a gesture that these people will most likely receive with tearful gratitude and will mean far more to them than you will ever, ever know.

Reading this thread and seeing the pictures alone has choked me up tremendously. If there's anything I could to in terms of helping pay for processing, framing of the photo, etc. please do not hesitate to drop me a PM and I will send a little money along to you.

God bless you for being so thoughtful.
    Canon 30D and some stuff for it :wink
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    The composition on the second shot is 100% better than the first. The eye knows where to go.

I'd try shooting it with different depths of field. A blurry base is good, but I think perhaps too many flowers are also blurry.

I agree! If the bottom flowers were even slightly more in focus I think it would help, although I still like the second image a lot as it is. The space at the bottom of the frame doesn't bother me, I think it looks better without cropping it off. Even if it's largely dead space, for me it balances the picture, somehow.
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2006
    DYancy wrote:
    My ex-wife and I lost our daughter three years ago. She was almost 2 years old at the time. Coming from someone who has been there and treasured things of hers (like these roses) I can tell you that this is a gesture that these people will most likely receive with tearful gratitude and will mean far more to them than you will ever, ever know.

Reading this thread and seeing the pictures alone has choked me up tremendously. If there's anything I could to in terms of helping pay for processing, framing of the photo, etc. please do not hesitate to drop me a PM and I will send a little money along to you.

God bless you for being so thoughtful.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I thank you so much for the kind jesture and I mean you no offense when I say thank you but no thank you. This is from my heart to theirs. I really can't explain it. But once again, thank you. Thank you all for all your advice, help and kind words. Hope everyone is well and had a Happy and wonderful Thanksgiving. :D

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2006
    I thank you so much for the kind jesture and I mean you no offense when I say thank you but no thank you. This is from my heart to theirs. I really can't explain it. But once again, thank you.

No explanation or apologies needed at all. I completely understand and your desire to make this your sole effort makes the gesture even more admirable. I think the family will love it, but may likely be overwhelmed by emotion at first as well. Just be patient with them and don't take offence if they initially don't have the words or composure to say thanks. :)
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2006
    DYancy wrote:
    No explanation or apologies needed at all. I completely understand and your desire to make this your sole effort makes the gesture even more admirable. I think the family will love it, but may likely be overwhelmed by emotion at first as well. Just be patient with them and don't take offence if they initially don't have the words or composure to say thanks. :)

i was actually planning on leaving it as a surprise for their return home from work on the last day i finsh their home. it will probably be this friday. i am too emotional myself to stand and give it to them face to face. i would break down. i went out today and got some matting and a nice frame. gonna frame it and wrap it up. was wondering if i should leave a card, and as to what i would say. the other thing i was wondering is should i sign the photo anywhere. maybe the back of the frame. more for the fact as a rememberance. it's very rare that i continue to talk to people whos homes i have worked in after i've gone. is this cheesy and wrong? i'm thinking they will always know who it was from and there no need for me to sign it. can i have someone elses opinion on this. thanks for everyones time and input. i appreciate everything and everyone. thank you.iloveyou.gif

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • Options
    jpmac55jpmac55 Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited November 28, 2006
    i was actually planning on leaving it as a surprise for their return home from work on the last day i finsh their home. it will probably be this friday. i am too emotional myself to stand and give it to them face to face. i would break down. i went out today and got some matting and a nice frame. gonna frame it and wrap it up. was wondering if i should leave a card, and as to what i would say. the other thing i was wondering is should i sign the photo anywhere. maybe the back of the frame. more for the fact as a rememberance. it's very rare that i continue to talk to people whos homes i have worked in after i've gone. is this cheesy and wrong? i'm thinking they will always know who it was from and there no need for me to sign it. can i have someone elses opinion on this. thanks for everyones time and input. i appreciate everything and everyone. thank you.iloveyou.gif

Michael,

First, you're a good man.

Second, I would sign the picture somewhere. Most artists leave their mark.
    John
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2006
    I would sign it on the back of the frame as you suggested. BTW I (and others here, I'm sure) would love to see the final image you used as well.
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2006
    El Kiwi wrote:
    I would sign it on the back of the frame as you suggested. BTW I (and others here, I'm sure) would love to see the final image you used as well.
    I signed the back:
    With all my love and respect,
    Michael Glatt

Here is the final results. Sorry for the poor picture of the framed shot. Here is the pic I used:
    113671744-L.jpg

and here it is matted and framed:
    113671623-L.jpg

looks dark but thats just becuase i shot it quickly and only for posting. I think it looks really nice in the frame. Once again, from the bottom of my heart, I just want to say Thank You to everyone who commented and helped. I try to teach my children to treat others as you wish to be treated. Every one here has treated me wonderfully. Thank you again. It means more than you can understand. Hope all are well. Michael.iloveyou.gif

www.lifesdisciple.com
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2006
    Very elegant and extremely powerful. Nicely done!
  • Options
    edited November 29, 2006
    Michael,

Your inked face might be frightening to some, but your heart is beautiful.

You have provided a gift that transcends the individual components, and effort required for the creation.

Your thoughtful gesture has stirred so many to feel so much, no artist could aspire for more.

Sam
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2006
    Just wanted everyone to know, I gave them the picture this Friday. Today when I went to finish up my last few tasks and clear out my tools I was greated by both Husband and Wife. I recieved handshakes and warm embraces. I guess they understood. It's amazing how a hug can make you feel. Sometimes words just aren't needed. Thanks again to everyone. iloveyou.gif

www.lifesdisciple.com