Options

Help on lens: 50mmF1.4 vs. 85mmF1.8

kinjiroxkinjirox Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited October 14, 2006 in Accessories
Hi there,
I'm new but I lurked a lot (before) :p here and I need some advise on some lens to buy. I am amateur and I want to buy a fast lens so I decided on Canon's 50mm F1.4 or 85mm F1.8. Most photo sites suggested to get both and these lenses have some great reviews. But I want a blow-by-blow comparison of what these lens can and cannot do. I know I want a lens I can use for low light photography. Mostly this will be used for families(churches, indoors, nights) and still pictures(museums). I want to decide which one is best for the buck.
I already have a EF100mm macro and 24-105mm F4L for Canon 30D.
I need one for portraiture and low light photography.

Thanks in advance,
Kenji.K

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    kinjirox wrote:
    But I want a blow-by-blow comparison of what these lens can and cannot do.
    Mostly this will be used for families(churches, indoors, nights) and still pictures(museums)

The 50 f/1.4. On your 30D, the 85 will be too tight to be of much use. Both are outstanding values, great glass. I own and use both of them regularly.
  • Options
    SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    Hello,

I'd set your 24-105 at 50 for a while and at 85 for a while and see if either of these focal lengths are what you are after. That will really tell you which lens to buy.

The 35/1.4, while much more expensive might be another consideration.

Another thought, in my experience the 50/1.4 isn't really sharp until f/2.2 or even f/2.8. At 1.4 it is very usable and will get images a 2.8 cannot, but be ready for some softness and CA.

My 85/1.8 is sharp at f/2. The 35/1.4 is really nice at 1.4 and really sings by f/2.

In my experience the 85/1.8 is extremely fast to focus, whereas the 50/1.4 is slower. You'll likely not be shooting gymnastics in church, but this might affect your decsion.

As far as families in low light conditions I just about always grab the 35/1.4, and this is on a full frame camera. (22mm or so for a 30D). I find anything else too limiting.

Best of luck with your search.
  • Options
    ESigginsESiggins Registered Users Posts: 185 Major grins
    edited October 13, 2006
    I'd set your 24-105 at 50 for a while and at 85 for a while and see if either of these focal lengths are what you are after. That will really tell you which lens to buy.

I agree with this. Just check it out and see what works. Your biggest consideration is what you want to be shooting. The 85 will be better for situations where you can't/don't want to get close to your subject like indoor spoorts or live performances. It's also a great portrait lens, but for more formal rather than candid stuff. It sounds from what you said you would be shooting that the 50 would be better for you.
    Shoot, or shoot not. There is no try.
    http://esiggins.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited October 14, 2006
    I'll agree with Andy here. The 50 will be a better choice for the type of
    work you'll be doing.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    kinjiroxkinjirox Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited October 14, 2006
    Thank you, guys. I decided on 50mm F1.4. The 85 can be covered by my 100mm at F2.8. Fair enough, I tried it and I kinda like the warmth and softness of the photos.
    Thanks again.