Options

copying photos to another gallery

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited April 30, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I'm usually very dense about these things but I just can't see it. I can move photographs to another gallery but I can't see an option to copy. Now I've finally figured out how to get my slideshow going I'd like to create a whole new gallery just for that... I wanted to use shots from different galleries an' mix 'em up a bit.. am I missing something? or is it not possible.

http://lynn.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    lynnma wrote:
    I'm usually very dense about these things but I just can't see it. I can move photographs to another gallery but I can't see an option to copy. Now I've finally figured out how to get my slideshow going I'd like to create a whole new gallery just for that... I wanted to use shots from different galleries an' mix 'em up a bit.. am I missing something? or is it not possible.

AFAIK, there's not a copy option per se. You can duplicate the image and then move it. There's a bug associated with that I've found. When you duplicate the image once, it doesn't show up although it's actually there. So when you think it didn't duplicate you duplicate it again. Then it shows up and you move it. When you go back to the gallery where the original is located, you end up finding 2 images left in there and the image you moved to the other gallery exists too (making 3 images total).

Anyhow, all in all it may be easier to upload from your computer if you can.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    AFAIK, there's not a copy option per se. You can duplicate the image and then move it. There's a bug associated with that I've found. When you duplicate the image once, it doesn't show up although it's actually there. So when you think it didn't duplicate you duplicate it again. Then it shows up and you move it. When you go back to the gallery where the original is located, you end up finding 2 images left in there and the image you moved to the other gallery exists too (making 3 images total).

Anyhow, all in all it may be easier to upload from your computer if you can.
    Yeah.. thanks Mike.. I was hoping to happily drag and drop. Half of the stuff I have in Smugmug I've lost in a huge pile here somewhere... so I'll have to duplicate and move as you say.
    By the way... the bunny is still living in the babies room?rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 27, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    There's a bug associated with that I've found. When you duplicate the image once, it doesn't show up although it's actually there. So when you think it didn't duplicate you duplicate it again. Then it shows up and you move it. When you go back to the gallery where the original is located, you end up finding 2 images left in there and the image you moved to the other gallery exists too (making 3 images total).

I've never seen that Mike. Are you waiting for the page to finish loading after you choose to make a second copy?
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2006
    lynnma wrote:
    Yeah.. thanks Mike.. I was hoping to happily drag and drop. Half of the stuff I have in Smugmug I've lost in a huge pile here somewhere... so I'll have to duplicate and move as you say.
    By the way... the bunny is still living in the babies room?rolleyes1.gif

It's certainly something we have thought of, but it would be a very dangerous tool. Since you can make changes with the photo tools to already-uploaded photos, we had to make the "2nd copy" feature create a whole new image on our disks. So if we allow people to wantonly make 2, 3, or 600 copies of images in bulk just to have them in separate locations, it could very easily get out of hand.

The other option would be to make copied images linked, so that we don't have to create a new file. But then we run into problems with other tools. Do we also link the comments associated with the photo? Zoomed thumbnail? Watermark? Pro pricing? Etc.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    edited April 27, 2006
    Sheaf wrote:
    I've never seen that Mike. Are you waiting for the page to finish loading after you choose to make a second copy?

nod.gif

Yup the page was fully reloaded. Once I knew what was going on I even exited the gallery and re-entered the gallery and then logged off and then back on and then logged off, emptied my cache restarted and logged back on. The gallery only showed one copy of the image. Then I made another copy and then it showed 3 copies. I think I posted a bug report about it when it happened to me too.

• Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    There's a bug associated with that I've found. When you duplicate the image once, it doesn't show up although it's actually there. So when you think it didn't duplicate you duplicate it again. Then it shows up and you move it. When you go back to the gallery where the original is located, you end up finding 2 images left in there and the image you moved to the other gallery exists too (making 3 images total).

I had this happen to me multiple times a couple of weeks ago. Even if I refreshed the gallery the duplicate was not there, then I would copy again and I would have 3.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2006
    JimM wrote:
    I had this happen to me multiple times a couple of weeks ago. Even if I refreshed the gallery the duplicate was not there, then I would copy again and I would have 3.
    ditto....managed to create 3 copies before any of them showed on screen. Clicked refresh, went in and out of the gallery, but didn't help.
  • Options
    jamescalderjamescalder Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    Sheaf wrote:
    sheaf,

FYI, this was duly reported by at least three of us in the bug reporting thread over the past month:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=279863&postcount=260
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=290809&postcount=319
    http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=290999&postcount=320

thumb.gif

j
    Street and travel photography by James Calder
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2006
    I have to admit complacency in reading through that thread. I think only Andy and the developers read it religiously. I have been working the last 24 hours on replicating the bug and can't seem to do it on any of my test galleries. Does it happen in specific galleries?
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006

Yep and I've reported it, but the real difficulty is that it's nearly impossible to reproduce at will. When designing themes, I replace photos (little graphics) alot - and occasionally it will happen to me, too. Yet I can't reproduce it.
  • Options
    jamescalderjamescalder Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Yep and I've reported it, but the real difficulty is that it's nearly impossible to reproduce at will. When designing themes, I replace photos (little graphics) alot - and occasionally it will happen to me, too. Yet I can't reproduce it.
    eek... the worst kind of bug!

thanks for all your efforts.

bowdown.gif

j
    Street and travel photography by James Calder
  • Options
    edited April 28, 2006
    It happened to me yesterday as I was copying about 30 shots from different galleries but I ignored it and it's resloved by it'self.. just seems to be a slight brain lag thing ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited April 28, 2006
    lynnma wrote:

sorry i'm late to the party on this...lynn the newest version of slideshow supports keyword galleries so instead of copying them all to a new gallery, just slap a keyword on them. I use the keyword 'featured' on my site, then just put slideshowUrl = "http://lynn.smugmug.com/keyword/featured";

works like a champ!
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    Andy wrote:

I reported this bug (or one with exactly the same symptoms) nearly a month ago to help@smugmug.com. I have a gallery where it can be reproduced and I supplied explicit instructions to reproduce. I just checked and I can still reproduce. I have been careful not to change this gallery until I got some feedback that the bug had been diagnosed. The only feedback I've gotten is that Andy says the bug is reported.

Here is a sequence for testing for this bug:
    1. Select a photo
    2. Make 2nd copy
    3. It doesn't show up
    4. Select another shot
    5. Make 2nd copy
    6. 2nd copy of the first shot now shows up
    7. Delete 2nd copy of the first shot
    8. 2nd copy of the second shot now shows up
    9. Delete it if you like

It only happens in some galleries.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    sorry i'm late to the party on this...lynn the newest version of slideshow supports keyword galleries so instead of copying them all to a new gallery, just slap a keyword on them. I use the keyword 'featured' on my site, then just put slideshowUrl = "http://lynn.smugmug.com/keyword/featured";

works like a champ!

Yeah, that is definitely the best idea. (and it's awesome that the slideshow works with it!) I really wish I would have thought of that when I was creating that extra gallery for the shots of mine that were on display. I could have linked them with the keywords super easily. The only small issue is that the gallery couldn't have been a featured gallery. Not too big of a deal though.

There's still a bug though...