Options

Newbie - Scottish Highlands

HighlanderHighlander Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited April 18, 2010 in Landscapes
Hi I've just joined the forum. I discovered it after buying Dan Margulis' book on LAB Color. I'm trying to work through some of the chapters and the threads here have been a great help - thank you all:clap

Here are 2 images that I've worked on, that I would welcome some advice on.

Poolewe001web.jpg

RuadhNanSasan004.jpg

Comments

• Options
    MikkoMikko Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    Hello

The first one is awesome.

Mikko
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    Love #1 That is just beautifulthumb.gif

#2 is a really cool shot as well, but seems to have a tich of a blue cast where it shouldn't? Could well be my eyes too:):
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2006
    Thusie wrote:

#2 is a really cool shot as well, but seems to have a tich of a blue cast where it shouldn't? Could well be my eyes too:):

Thanks Thusie.
    Yes there is a blue cast. I accentuated it to (I thought) enhance the impression of twilight, when the shot was taken. Perhaps I went too far?
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    Highlander wrote:
    Yes there is a blue cast. I accentuated it to (I thought) enhance the impression of twilight, when the shot was taken. Perhaps I went too far?

Just a tad for my tastes, but what do I know?:): I'm sure someone with a better eye than I have will weigh in soon.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    Both are great...are there more where those came from?? Please let us see more.
    Keep up the great work.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    I prefer #1 with it's warm colors and tones. I'm afraid there's too much of the blue cast in #2 for my taste. I feel like the breakers should pop out with a little more white. Both lack a subject for my eyes to grab a hold of.

Nice job and keep them coming.

Ben
  • Options
    b29b29 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    # 1 is great. I like the light in the center of the picture thumb.gif

Fridrik Thorsteinsson
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    wave.gif welcome, Highlander! Lovely scenics - looking forward to more from you!

I'm currently reading some historic fiction set in Scotland, 18th century - fascinating land yours is!
  • Options
    MesaManMesaMan Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    Wayh another UK member, nice shots - look forward to more.

Your a lucky ba****d living so close to some of the best landscape shots to be had.
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    Those who are possessed by nothing possess everything.
    ~Morihei Ueshiba~
    [SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
  • Options
    ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    A+
    Never been, perhaps never will but allready loving Scottland.
    Great shots!clap.gif
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 8, 2006
    love 'em!

george
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    Lovely shots highlander. We're visiting the West Coast in June, I'm really looking forward to it!!
  • Options
    evil eggplantevil eggplant Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    Thusie wrote:

I completely agree. #1 is great, and the blue cast on the second one seems to take something awaay from an otherwise superb image.

Cheers
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2006
    I didn't realise the images were still there! I really haven't got to grips with linking and attaching yet. Embarrassing as I was an IT Consultant before ill health forced early retirement! rolleyes1.gif
    Thank you all for the comments. I'm going to work on the second image again to reduce the blue. I've got a couple more that I'd like to post soon if that's OK?

Your comments are much appreciated. :):
  • Options
    waveneymanwaveneyman Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Hi Highlander, just found this thread. Can't see the second pic but the 1st is just great. I've only recently returned from there myself and there are so many pictures to be hadclap.gif
    Can't wait to get back again when the weather warms up a bit.
    mark
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    Same here, the first one is very promising. I have seen the second one, and apart from the blue cast (which was a bit too strong to my taste) I loved the capture of the scenery. Here I am, idly waiting until you post some more. I'm looking forward to it!
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    edited March 18, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    Same here, the first one is very promising. I have seen the second one, and apart from the blue cast (which was a bit too strong to my taste) I loved the capture of the scenery. Here I am, idly waiting until you post some more. I'm looking forward to it!

Thank you, Marlof. :): As soon as I can get my main PC up and running again I'll post another image. Off again to the same area in two weeks, so hope to get a few more.
  • Options
    Fred WFred W Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    Highlander wrote:
    Hi I've just joined the forum. I discovered it after buying Dan Margulis' book on LAB Color. I'm trying to work through some of the chapters and the threads here have been a great help - thank you allclap.gif

Here are 2 images that I've worked on, that I would welcome some advice on.

Hi Highlander,

Definately some nice composition here. Looking forward to seeing more.1drink.gif

Fred
  • Options
    JustPeachy2JustPeachy2 Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited April 15, 2010
    photo of Loch Ewe
    MesaMan wrote:
    Wayh another UK member, nice shots - look forward to more.

Your a lucky ba****d living so close to some of the best landscape shots to be had.
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif
    Just found your amazing photo of Loch Ewe! thumb.gif I was searching for information on saturation ( and came across your site) because I find ,depending on lighting and direction I'm shooting, the blues seem over saturated. Also, I too, have not posted many photos because I always seem to screw it up. I hope to find more photos of your homeland.
    There are so many great sites and not enough time to cover them all. Cheers! JustPeachy2
  • Options
    AndManAndMan Registered Users Posts: 1,252 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2010
    #1 is very nice. thumb.gif
    Peter

www.andmanphotography.com

Facebook Fan Page

"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer - and often the supreme disappointment." Ansel Adams