Options

SmugMug Feature Requests #6

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    eyesopen wrote:
    If full customization isn't possible, is there at least a way to choose the standard white background smugmug style? At least then the transition wouldn't be quite so jarring.

--Rob

Hi Rob, many thanks for the great feedback. Currently, there are NO options for customizing the cart. We do appreciate your request, and why you'd want it. We're looking at ways to accomodate your request, but no promises.

Moving to the features request thread.
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2006
    Is there a possibility of adding the option in the cart of converting the pic to black & white for printing.

I have many events where the number of images shoot is usually 250-600. Then putting them in both color and black & white is more work on loading, etc. Also then it doubles the time it takes the customer to look through all them. I would not be picky at all about how it is converted to black & white, because usually when smugmug does something they do it right.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    SPAM control on comments
    In lieu of the spam problem there was earlier this morning (see http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=28485), it may be good to install something like SecureImage for spam control. I did this for my blog (http://blog.antonspaans.com/) to fight spam. It requires the commenter to copy an (warped) image of a text-string into a text-field. If the text matches, only then the comment is accepted. I installed it because i got spam on my blog. After i installed it, not one single spam message.

And if this will be implemented, maybe open up the new SecureImage-like service for us smugmuggers, so we can add e-mail <forms> to our sites and protect them.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    caseservecaseserve Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2006
    Move comments?
    Is there a way to move comments from one area to another? I have a private gallery with comments in it that I would like to move to my central guest book/comments area.

If this could be made possible, what about also displaying the image in the central guest book that the comment was posted about?

Thanks,
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2006
    photo link
    What always bothered me about the linking of photos in galleries that the only link that'll for sure present the visitor with the correct image is a singleimage link like this:
    http://rainforest1155.smugmug.com/gallery/818210/1/37719871/Medium
    But the downside is that this forces the viewer to singleimage view.

I rather would like to use this link:
    http://rainforest1155.smugmug.com/gallery/818210/1/37719871/
    but that only works when the viewer has set smugmug, film strip or critique view. It doesn't present the correct image in:
    • traditional (instead shows thumbs including the picture I wanted to show, but a viewer could never guess which I wanted him to see)
    • all thumbs (just shows all thumbs of the gallery)
    • slideshow (displays the caption of the correct picture in the title, but shows first image in gallery)
    • journal (displays the corresponding journal page with pictures including the one I linked to)
    Instead of the results above when linking to a picture and the user having set one of those views I would like to have the picture rather shown in singleimage view at the photo size the visitor choose as his preferred viewing size. Slideshow should be display the correct picture, too.

Implementing those redirects would make image linking much more convinient. Now I've to force the singleimage view in a size chosen by me on the recipients of the link. Instead they should be able to view it their way.
    I also often receive links this way, but almost always having set traditional view I always have to guess or change my view to smugmug view.

Any comments on this?

Thanks for listening,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 25, 2006
    caseserve wrote:
    Is there a way to move comments from one area to another? I have a private gallery with comments in it that I would like to move to my central guest book/comments area.
    I would like to have that too sometimes. Especially when people mix up gallery and image comments. Then I would simply want to move it to the corresponding image.
    Such a feature is a great addition to my 'Comment control panel' idea. mwink.gif

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2006
    Eliminate "standard" categories? More features?
    If I know that I'll never want to use the myriad of "standard" categories, and only use my custom ones, is there any way to get rid of them from the dropdown when selecting a category for a new gallery? They do clutter-up the dropdown and it would be much easier if I only saw my own.

Can I have more than 4 featured galleries? There are six teams in the main cheer gym that I shoot, and I'd like to be able to feature the last performance gallery from each. As it is, when I pick 4 of them, the other two teams feel like they've been overlooked. Come on, don't disappoint the young cheerleaders! :):
  • Options
    azulyazuly Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited February 27, 2006
    Mobile smugmug!
    I would absolutely LOVE to see smugmug make a mobile phone friendly page. I currently have a Samsung A900 on Spring's Power Vision plan -- and with the built in browser I cannot even log in. I was able to use Opera Mini and browse my pics, but navigation is terrible. I had the same issue with my wife's Palm Treo 650 using Blazer (cannot log in)

Any chance a mobile friendly page can be made? I have used Opera mini on many numerous occasions to show friends/family some pictures from my galleries. extremely handy!!!!

Another neat feature is to be able to send a picture mail message from my phone directly into smugmug... That would be icing on the cake, but a mobile friendly theme would be awesome.
  • Options
    bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 27, 2006
    azuly wrote:
    Another neat feature is to be able to send a picture mail message from my phone directly into smugmug...
    is this not what you want?

http://smugmug.com/help/camera-phones
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    azulyazuly Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited February 27, 2006
    RE: Mobile smugmug!
    Cool.. That's part of it.. Now just a mobile friendly layout and I'm a happy camper!
    Thanks for the link ;)
    bigwebguy wrote:
    is this not what you want?

http://smugmug.com/help/camera-phones
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    in this view (not sure what it's officially called), it's not immediately apprent that the ">" (next picture) is an active link.

Can this be changed to the same "< Prev 1 of 15 Next >" as on the gallery page?

smie723vs.jpg
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    in this view (not sure what it's officially called), it's not immediately apprent that the ">" (next picture) is an active link.

Same request for paging through gallery pages too....I'd rather click on a word instead of a single character
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2006
    since SM already knows when we are logged in and doesnt provide the box for name and url when leaving comments, how about not requiring the CAPTCHA?
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2006
    StevenV wrote:

smie723vs.jpg

Is that IE7 I spy? Any bugs in smugmug pages thus far?

</threadjack>
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    arthurparthurp Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited February 27, 2006
    Vertical and horizontal shots are different effective sizes
    In most views, including Journal and the "view" at the top of every Digital Grin page ^^^, the standard size is in terms of the height of the picture instead of the longest dimension, pixel count, or other better approximation of actual perceptual size as perceived by humans.

That is, when you have both horizontal and vertical 1:1.5 (film ratio) or 1:1.33 (P&S digital ratio) images on the same page, the vertical images are perceptually smaller (and have less detail). While I realize this was probably done very consciously for some aesthetic reasons, to me this behaviour feels like a bug, and I'd like to be able to turn it off.

Any chance of that happening? Anyone with me on this one?
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2006
    arthurp wrote:
    In most views, including Journal and the "view" at the top of every Digital Grin page ^^^, the standard size is in terms of the height of the picture instead of the longest dimension, pixel count, or other better approximation of actual perceptual size as perceived by humans.

That is, when you have both horizontal and vertical 1:1.5 (film ratio) or 1:1.33 (P&S digital ratio) images on the same page, the vertical images are perceptually smaller (and have less detail). While I realize this was probably done very consciously for some aesthetic reasons, to me this behaviour feels like a bug, and I'd like to be able to turn it off.

Any chance of that happening? Anyone with me on this one?

you could always just zoom thumbnail to 1:1 ratio....there's a bulk tool in the hack forum.
    Pedal faster
  • Options
    garyjwoodgaryjwood Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited February 28, 2006
    arthurp wrote:
    I'm with you. I'd prefer to see it standardized in terms of the longest dimension. Same for S, M and L versions.

As it stands, portrait-oriented photos are smaller and less detailed on my blog than landscape-oriented ones.
    - Gary
    Galleries: http://garyjwood.smugmug.com
    Photo of the Day: http://blog.garyjwood.com
    Location-enabled and interactive!
  • Options
    javier.rinaldijavier.rinaldi Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2006
    Improved Navigation
    I'd like to see the ability to have control over how many levels are shown in the breadcrumb (i.e. galleries>landscape instead of USER>gallleries>lanscape).

And/Or I'd like the ability to have the "Gallery Title" displayed along with a "back" to category/sub-category link. I like the user to be able to see a gallery title somewhere other that just in the thumbnail linking to it.
    Jav

Creator of: SmugManager

"There's no dark side or the moon, really. Matter of fact it's all dark..."
  • Options
    NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2006
    Server-side MPEG conversion
    I am impressed with the features that smugmug already supports server-side like color adjustment and image rotation. Why not throw in MPEG conversion? I know there are a lot of formats, but start of with a few of the more popular formats from Canon/Fuji/Sony etc. cameras like AVI or MOV. There is also a lot of good, free code out there for converting.
    I'd love to be able to drag AVIs from my Canon S1 IS straight into smugmug.
  • Options
    tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    annotating copyright messages
    Hi,
    I have seen pics with small copyright messages, in the corner. I know this can be done in bulk using imagemagick, but sometimes a computer with all those tools installed may not be availalbe. Is it possible to do in bulk in smugmug itself(After all a lot of options like rotate etc., are possible). Something like : Stamp all images right bottom corner with "message".
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2006
    tsk1979 wrote:
    Hi,
    I have seen pics with small copyright messages, in the corner. I know this can be done in bulk using imagemagick, but sometimes a computer with all those tools installed may not be availalbe. Is it possible to do in bulk in smugmug itself(After all a lot of options like rotate etc., are possible). Something like : Stamp all images right bottom corner with "message".

Thanks for the feature request, tsk!
  • Options
    Fine Bottled WaterFine Bottled Water Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    I use the journal style on my site, and my only complaint is the inability of visitors to see whether pictures have comments. I'd like to have the option to display [via the journal style] the number of comments each picture has, similar to how individual posts on a blog show the number of comments.

I figure this would not only push visitors to read the comments (which I expect often go overlooked), but it would also promote the use of the comments function.

I created this image as an example.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2006
    I use the journal style on my site, and my only complaint is the inability of visitors to see whether pictures have comments. I'd like to have the option to display [via the journal style] the number of comments each picture has, similar to how individual posts on a blog show the number of comments.

I figure this would not only push visitors to read the comments (which I expect often go overlooked), but it would also promote the use of the comments function.

I created this image as an example.

Thanks!

Thanks for the FR, FBW! Not sure if we'll do this or not - Journal was created to have a really simple, clean look to it. You might try putting a friendly not in your gallery descriptions, saying, leave a comment by clicking on the pic. Or, you could put a link in each photo caption, which would take them to the single image view...
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks for the FR, FBW! Not sure if we'll do this or not - Journal was created to have a really simple, clean look to it.
    Please leave that decision to the user. It would help a lot to see that there's already a heated discussion about a particular image directly in Journal view. Seeing that others have already commented would also encourage visitors to leave a comment themselves or they're just curious what others thought about that picture. Having no visible feedback about comments in Journal makes me feel I'm missing out on something because I don't want to click every picture just to see that there's no comment to read.
    With that it would also be easier to keep track of possible answears. Like when I was the first to leave a comment I would instantely see the next time I visit the Journal if the photographer or someone else left a note without having to click every picture I commented on in order to see if there's a response.

Who's with me on that?

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    Please leave that decision to the user. It would help a lot to see that there's already a heated discussion about a particular image directly in Journal view. Seeing that others have already commented would also encourage visitors to leave a comment themselves or they're just curious what others thought about that picture. Having no visible feedback about comments in Journal makes me feel I'm missing out on something because I don't want to click every picture just to see that there's no comment to read.
    With that it would also be easier to keep track of possible answears. Like when I was the first to leave a comment I would instantely see the next time I visit the Journal if the photographer or someone else left a note without having to click every picture I commented on in order to see if there's a response.

Who's with me on that?

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Strangely, i'm actually with Andy on this one! rolleyes1.gif I like the clean look.

But i also understand the problem that, when the user selected the 'Journal' style gallery, (s)he can not see any photo-comments. So, what about this feature request:

Currently, the smugmugger can choose either 'Viewer Controlled' or any one of the gallery styles. This will either allow all styles or exactly one. I'd like to see this changed into:

Let the smugmugger check/choose which gallery-styles (can be one or more) are available to the user/viewer. If the smugmugger checks one or all of them, it works as it currently works. But with the requested change, the smugmugger can, for example, allow only the journal and critique styles. If image comments are important, the smugmugger can choose to allow only smugmug, smugmug_small and crititque styles, etc.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2006

Who's with me on that?

Thanks,
    Sebastian

Remember, that there are a good many subscribers who *can't* change the journal style. Thanks for the feedback, Sebastian - it's very welcome and we'll for sure discuss it!
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Remember, that there are a good many subscribers who *can't* change the journal style. Thanks for the feedback, Sebastian - it's very welcome and we'll for sure discuss it!
    Then simply disable it by default leaving it to the power/pros to activate it. lol3.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2006
    Strangely, i'm actually with Andy on this one! rolleyes1.gif I like the clean look.
    Look at my last post - that should make everyone happy, because there's no unexpected change.
    Let the smugmugger check/choose which gallery-styles (can be one or more) are available to the user/viewer.
    Great suggestion. With the time the style selector got a bit flooded with new options. Don't forget to add a bulk tool for this idea so people can easily rule out styles they don't want the visitor to use.
    I have to add something to this request even though it could prove difficult to realize this in the GUI: When selecting more than one possible style I would like to set the initial style for a gallery out of the possebilities I leave to the user.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    KrisKatKrisKat Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, KK wave.gif and welcome to Dgrin :D

That's a great list. I'm curious about why #1, the Universal Beta Drag and Drop Loader is unlimited, and works everywhere... have you tried it?

#s 2 and 3 - GREAT ideas :D

Hi Andy and thanks, I am looking forward to really diving into smugmug. I love the close nature of the community, and your involvement shows a lot of commitment.

To answer your question...

FTP is a pretty universal standard and offers some advantages that, in my mind, are significant.

- Better integration with existing software. For example I could see someone creating a script for Adobe Bridge that would include an FTP upload in the workflow of RAW images. e.g. DWLD from camera> Edit in ACR > Append Metadata> Run Batch JPG action> Apply watermark> Upload to Smugmug& Delete local files. (Or better yet, just save the files to the FTP server.)

- Ability to use third party software for uploads, like CuteFTP or WS_FTP. Better flexibilty and the customer doesn't have to rely on "Beta" or buggy user supplied software.

I have personally been using Send to Smugmug, but it appears as though it is falling behind as Smugmug is introducing new features at a faster pace than Mr. Shahine has time to update it. I will try the U-B-DAD-Loader( I be mom Laughing.gif) and see if that also helps some of the image corruption issues I have been having.

Speaking of Metadata, writing this reply has gotten me thinking. How about a custom XMP info panel for SmugMug related Metadata. It could include such info as the gallery the image belongs too, catagory, sub-catagory, title, desc. and all of the Smugmug gallery options, like larges, etc, etc. This metadata could then be used by the previously mentioned script, or any other software for that matter. Hmmm, time to learn XML!

Thanks for listening and for being so involved, it is one of the biggest reasons I am here, and why I will stay here.

Kristen
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2006
    Keep certain IPTC data with -L, -M, -S files
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=137523#post137523
This discussion has been closed.