Review: Huey Monitor Calibration from Pantone

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited October 21, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
Here's the review

Discuss the review, monitor calibration, here.

EDIT March 25, 2007
Pantone has given SmugMug customers a $20 discount on both the Huey and HueyPRO products. This would make the special pricing $69 for huey and $109 for hueyPRO.
Just need to enter the promotion code: smugmug at checkout to receive their discount.

Comments

• Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    So was it better than the GM Eye I or what? It wasn't clear to me from your review how it stacked up.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    Very handy little review. thumb.gif I have a Eye One that baffles me, I ask Patch for help to make it work.

Two questions. Does it only have an auto setting? And how do you know it's accurate, as you say at the end of the review?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    So was it better than the GM Eye I or what? It wasn't clear to me from your review how it stacked up.

Read it again? ear.gif
    edited February 2, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Very handy little review. thumb.gif I have a Eye One that baffles me, I ask Patch for help to make it work.

Two questions. Does it only have an auto setting? And how do you know it's accurate, as you say at the end of the review?

Good point, Sid - and I amended my conclusion to further explain.

Auto only? Hmm - well, it's fairly auto-magic. There are "manual" settings to change your profile to "video" or "gamer" or cool/warm and low/high contrast. And of course, photog.
    edited February 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Read it again? ear.gif

Okay, just did and extra carefully too. You mention that you used the GME1 and that the calibration was good compared to the GME1 calibration. But I never got the feel of if I should buy this one or save up for the GME1. The closest I got is this:
    For many folks, this is a great starting point into the world of color calibration - and for the the advanced procrastinator, too, it's a great way to remove some of the mystery.

So am I just starting out or am I an advanced procrastinator. Or maybe I'm in the other undefined group that would be better suited with the GME1? Or maybe there is no such group. All these questions are swirling around in my head without any real resolution... eek7.gif

edited February 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Auto only? Hmm - well, it's fairly auto-magic. There are "manual" settings to change your profile to "video" or "gamer" or cool/warm and low/high contrast. And of course, photog.
    thumb.gif Good stuff, I appreciate the extra info in the re-written conclusion.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited February 2, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    All these questions are swirling around in my head without any real resolution... eek7.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

So what are you saying exactly?

edited February 2, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    So what are you saying exactly?

Did you learn to be a PITA from Rutt? Crikey! lol3.gif
    edited February 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:

lol3.gif

• DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    Laughing!
    Andy wrote:

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Tell us how you really feel, Andy :):
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2006
    Thanks for giving an overview on how this works, Andy. Thanks to your review I've put the huey on my upcoming birthday wishlist, and already learned that there's a good chance I'll be getting one.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited February 3, 2006
    Looks like a Mr. Microphone sitting next to the monitor in its little cradle.

The Huey looks to be miles simpler than these devices were a year or more ago. I'm still doing it by eye, but this new device might push me over the edge. Only $90. That sounds fair.

I wonder if they'll make a calibrator for dual monitor users. The Duey?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited February 3, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Looks like a Mr. Microphone sitting next to the monitor in its little cradle.

The Huey looks to be miles simpler than these devices were a year or more ago. I'm still doing it by eye, but this new device might push me over the edge. Only $90. That sounds fair.

I wonder if they'll make a calibrator for dual monitor users. The Duey?

lol3.gif

I can say that I did my 15" Powerbook and my 23" ACD in about 8 minutes flat. It's so very easy to use.
    edited February 3, 2006
    For me, the simplicity of it is a doubled edged sword.

On the one hand, it's very appealing because I'm lost when it comes to gamma levels.

On the other hand, because it's simple and turnkey I mistrust it, and think that the program I don't understand and can't operate will do a better job.
    Sid.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2006
    Cheaper That $90.00
    http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php?masterid=16193740&search=pantone+huey

dIGITAL GRAPHICS RESOURCE HAS IT FOR $77.96....have not ran them thru rellsellars ratings yet so....................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited February 6, 2006
    okay now for a question ....
    If you are using Huey to calibrate your monitor what are you using to calibrate your printer(s)??
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited February 6, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    If you are using Huey to calibrate your monitor what are you using to calibrate your printer(s)??

Get the ICC profile for your printer, and do a soft proof in Photoshop:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1123524
    edited February 7, 2006
    Dekuji....[Thanks in Cezch]:D

• VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    Intressting product, and cheap!

But it dont generate a ICC profile?
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:

mine arrives tomorrow and im really hoping it helps..... my monitor is as uncalibrated as it gets.... ive never understood these things... headscratch.gif

anyway, somebody remarked that to make this thing "really work well " you should do it with no light on at all, is that true ??

troy
    edited February 9, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    mine arrives tomorrow and im really hoping it helps..... my monitor is as uncalibrated as it gets.... ive never understood these things... headscratch.gif

anyway, somebody remarked that to make this thing "really work well " you should do it with no light on at all, is that true ??

troy
    The interesting thing about this thing, according to Andy's review, is that it takes a measure of the ambient light and compensates for it. ne_nau.gif

The Eye One software, by contrast, recommends that you have a minimum of ambient light, but it does not specify total darkness.
    Sid.
    edited February 10, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Here's the review

Discuss the review, monitor calibration, here.

Andy, I have a question. when you run the software it asks you questions. it asks the same questions that I never answer correctly it seems. when it adjusts your contrast and brightness is asks do you see the "rings", does that mean do you just see them or do you seem them exactly as shown in the reference. in other words i see the three rings in the upper left corner and I see thew two rings in the right upper corner but they are not as defined as they are in the reference samples. do i adjust them or just continue??

btw, except for this, the prod is idiot proof.. almost.
    why im asking you this - im not sure headscratch.gif but maybe you know...

confused as always.........
    edited February 10, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    Andy, I have a question. when you run the software it asks you questions. it asks the same questions that I never answer correctly it seems. when it adjusts your contrast and brightness is asks do you see the "rings", does that mean do you just see them or do you seem them exactly as shown in the reference. in other words i see the three rings in the upper left corner and I see thew two rings in the right upper corner but they are not as defined as they are in the reference samples. do i adjust them or just continue??

btw, except for this, the prod is idiot proof.. almost.
    why im asking you this - im not sure headscratch.gif but maybe you know...

confused as always.........

:uhoh I never got asked those questions. Is it a PeeCee thing?
    edited February 10, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    :uhoh I never got asked those questions. Is it a PeeCee thing?

welll the manual doesnt say, but when you run the software its the first question asked: it says do you see the three rings in the upper left and the two rings in the upper right if yes - click next if no adjust your contrast and brightness..

this is lifted from the screen:

Adjust Display

printProductName();huey will help you adjust your monitor's brightness and contrast settings for best results by showing you some targets and asking you to make adjustments.

Do you see three dark rings in the upper left corner of this target? Do you see two light rings in the upper right corner of this target? If you can answer both of the questions "yes", select the Yes button. If you can't answer yes to both questions, select the No button. Then click NEXT
    Hint: The lower left and the lower right corners of the target always show the correct number of rings for reference If you can answer both questions "yes", your monitor is adjusted correctly.

the thing is that yea i see them but they are not as defined as in the samples

troy
  • petermazpetermaz Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited February 19, 2006
    Thanks Andy, great review.
    I just read an add in Outdoor Photog Magazine for the Huey and you have the only review that makes any sense so far on the web. Good job. thumb.gif
    edited February 20, 2006
    OK Andy, I've ordered this thing, if I'm the least bit displeased with it you're gonna hear all about, hooboy.
    Sid.
    edited February 20, 2006
    petermaz wrote:
    I just read an add in Outdoor Photog Magazine for the Huey and you have the only review that makes any sense so far on the web. Good job. thumb.gif

Thank you, Peter!

and Waxy: FLIPA.gif
    edited February 22, 2006
    I just used it on my laptop and my CRT. When I did the CRT, the room lighting was a single, shielded incandescent lightbulb. When I did the laptop, I kept the room almost completely dark.

In both cases, after using the Huey, the default setting was way too warm. By default, I mean the "Web Browsing and Photo Editing" option. On the CRT, I've switched to the "Cool, Medium Contrast." It's still not great, my whites still aren't white, but I can live with it for the evening.

On the laptop, there is no setting that looks good. They're all too warm.

I'm going to give the Huey another chance tomorrow, in daylight. Right now, I have to say I'm not pleased or impressed.
    Sid.
    edited February 22, 2006
    I just got my Huey yesterday (Andy told me I had to after all). I just did the calibration on my Dell D610 and I think it works amazingly well. It did make the colors warmer; however, the whites are now white and not slightly blue. Browsing through some pics on dgrin, I have to say they look so much better now.

I give it a big thumbs up, I think it worked perfectly! And for $90, what more could I ask?