Options

Dgrin Shootout 2006 - Hotels Thread

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited May 11, 2006 in The Big Picture
For the night of May 16th, some of us will be staying at the Luxor Hotel on the Strip. Expedia has a rate of $119.

I'm just sayin'

Luxor.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    For the night of May 16th, some of us will be staying at the Luxor Hotel on the Strip. Expedia has a rate of $119.

I'm just sayin'

Luxor.jpg

Luxor's online rate is $119 as well. Its my favorite place to gamble. Mandalay Bay is next door. I think there is a tram betweent he hotels but I havent been on it in a couple years. Just in case they run out of rooms.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited January 23, 2006
    Bryce - Ruby's Inn the night of the 16th a day earlier
    If anyone is thinking they want to stay at Ruby's a day earlier to avoid the early red-eye wake up call Special Andy Caravan express from "the city that never sleeps," you had better act real fast.

Ruby's is all but completely full tuesday the 16th. We got a room that night, but just barely.

Their main reservations phone number is 866-866-6616. If you have a triple A membership, they will reduce whatever rate you're told, or any other coupon. We have one of those big coupon books, and Ruby's is listed there - but I'd bet any Best Western coupon would work hust as well.

But like I say, act now or you'll be sleeping in your car in the back parking lot.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    If anyone is thinking they want to stay at Ruby's a day earlier to avoid the early red-eye wake up call Special Andy Caravan express from "the city that never sleeps," you had better act real fast.

Ruby's is all but completely full tuesday the 16th. We got a room that night, but just barely.

Their main reservations phone number is 866-866-6616. If you have a triple A membership, they will reduce whatever rate you're told, or any other coupon. We have one of those big coupon books, and Ruby's is listed there - but I'd bet any Best Western coupon would work hust as well.

But like I say, act now or you'll be sleeping in your car in the back parking lot.

Wow you are really dedicated to photography giving up a night of gambling at Luxor :) I have a feeling sunrise will be 9am for everyone :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited January 23, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Wow you are really dedicated to photography giving up a night of gambling at Luxor :) I have a feeling sunrise will be 9am for everyone :)

Can you lay down L-glass bets? :lol4
    If so, a few people might show up without anything to shoot with.

9am, huh? We'll begin the hiking without you then.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2006
    David_S85 wrote:
    Can you lay down L-glass bets? :lol4
    If so, a few people might show up without anything to shoot with.

9am, huh? We'll begin the hiking without you then.

Im not going to lay down any L bets but I have a few consumer lenses that I dont need or want, hmmm :) If its a big night I might show up with a 500/4 IS clap.gif
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    David,

I reserved a room at Ruby's. I'll be there with my wife, I hope, on the eve of the 16th. Should be driving up with her and Aeronut, although I'm not sure the wife can make it.

Anyway, see you up there!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Poor Bob. You have never seen Andy on a shootout. He waits till the afternoon when the sun is at full blast and the light sucks to sleep (think vampire). He will be up at 5am or earlier on the 17th. He may just not go to sleep even.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2006
    Poor Bob. You have never seen Andy on a shootout. He waits till the afternoon when the sun is at full blast and the light sucks to sleep (think vampire). He will be up at 5am or earlier on the 17th. He may just not go to sleep even.

Thats funny. I havent never been on a shootout before but i have been on many early morning outdoor shoots with models that havent been to sleep, how different can it be. triple shot espressos usually work. :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Thats funny. I havent never been on a shootout before but i have been on many early morning outdoor shoots with models that havent been to sleep, how different can it be. triple shot espressos usually work. :)

Laughing.gif you'll be seeing me with alot of those hopefully this trip (although not the 4th shot, man does the 4th one do a number on your stomach).

Hmmm models and photographers in the morning are two way different things. Whenever I have had to work with a model in the morning they are kinda groggy. These smugmug/dgrin photographers in the morning are like a drag racer looking to floor it on the green. It's almost scary how much energy they have in the morning.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    digital_gopherdigital_gopher Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    Andy wrote:

I'm just sayin'

The room rate for May 16th has dropped to 89.99 when booking directly with the Luxor, Expedia now shows $89 as well I just called the Luxor and they adjusted the rate for my reservation on the phone.

Who all will be at the Luxor on the 16th?

Jeremy
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited April 25, 2006
    I will be. I get to Vegas at 9Am on the 16th.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited April 25, 2006
    The room rate for May 16th has dropped to 89.99 when booking directly with the Luxor, Expedia now shows $89 as well I just called the Luxor and they adjusted the rate for my reservation on the phone.

Who all will be at the Luxor on the 16th?

Jeremy

I'll be at the Luxor around 1pm or so. I'm staying in the pyramid :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    I'll be in Vegas for a few days prior, moving to the Luxor for the night of the 16th.
    Probably check in some time mid day.
    ann
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2006
    The Luxor web site ways check in time is 1PM but the confirmation e-mail I got says 3PM, what's the deal? Does anyone know if they will hold your luggage before you check in? I guess I could call but talking is hard.
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    The Luxor web site ways check in time is 1PM but the confirmation e-mail I got says 3PM, what's the deal? Does anyone know if they will hold your luggage before you check in? I guess I could call but talking is hard.

They will hold bags in a room that they have. I am not sure how secure it is. I am going to request early check it. Being a Tuesday, the hotel shouldn't be too full.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    nwilkinsnwilkins Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    I'll be staying at the Luxor on May 16. Will be waiting on the arrival of Dragon 300ZX at the airport and then hopefully a rented van ride to the hotel! I get in around 8:20p or so and Gary comes in about 1 hr. later I think.

Nancy
    Nancy Wilkins
    Canon 5D
    Canon 40D
  • Options
    edited April 26, 2006
    nwilkins wrote:
    I'll be staying at the Luxor on May 16. Will be waiting on the arrival of Dragon 300ZX at the airport and then hopefully a rented van ride to the hotel! I get in around 8:20p or so and Gary comes in about 1 hr. later I think.

Nancy

I'm in your van with gary as well for the trip to utah

There are van services to the hotels from the airport. The luxor is very near. So there shouldn't be any issues getting there if you have to :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Skippy and I are arriving in Las Vegas on Sunday the 14th and will be staying at the Luxor through the 16th.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    nwilkinsnwilkins Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited April 26, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    I'm in your van with gary as well for the trip to utah

There are van services to the hotels from the airport. The luxor is very near. So there shouldn't be any issues getting there if you have to :)

Thanks, Bob! Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Nancy
    Nancy Wilkins
    Canon 5D
    Canon 40D
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    Count me in for teh 1Ux0r0z! Military rates beat expedia rates :P Now, who's in for a fancy buffet???
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Count me in for teh 1Ux0r0z! Military rates beat expedia rates :P Now, who's in for a fancy buffet???

Nice. I love breakfast buffets in vegas. 20 pounds of properly cooked bacon for our taking :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:

Mmmmmm Buffet....:eat 10944573-Ti.gif :hotcake :burger binge.gif

So where are the good ones at?
    Nick
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    gluwater wrote:

Since we are going to the bellagio for the ansel adams show, they have a really great buffet there. Rio and Mirage have nice ones.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    gluwater wrote:

I've read that the Bellagio's buffet is the best. Plus there is an Ansel Adams display up if I'm not mistaken. mwink.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2006
    I started a thread to get people together that would like to see the Ansel Adams gallery. Link to it here. Put your name in it and what time you would like to go so we can get together if possible. It will be easier for people to see than trying to search through the other threads.
    Nick
    nickwphoto