Options

Picasa2 makes corrupt jpgs

KipsterKipster Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited January 12, 2006 in Finishing School
I think I've discovered an important issue that us Picasa users may need to know. Here's how you may repeat the problem.

I can save a specific jpg to Smugmug (SM) without a problem. If I then open that file in Picasa2 and edit it (e.g. Feeling Lucky tool) and then repost to SM, the file lands on SM but eternally remains as a "Processing Image" placeholder: the image never renders.

If I then take that same corrupt jpg and open and resave it in any image tool (e.g. ZoombrowserEX) the file can upload to Sm with no problem.

This tells me that Picasa2 adds metadata or some other stuff that keeps SM from storing or rendering the image correctly.

Anybody have a solution? I really like Picasa because it a) can crop pics while retaining their printing dimensions, b) is free and 3) has the Feeling Lucky tool that fixes my white balance.

Kip

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2005
    Thanks for the info. I posted a link to this thread in the bug report-thread. That way the SM-team will get to see it. Maybe you can help them in finding a solution. Stay tuned and also check the bug thread in case someone of the team posts there. mwink.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2005
    Kipster wrote:
    I think I've discovered an important issue that us Picasa users may need to know. Here's how you may repeat the problem.

I can save a specific jpg to Smugmug (SM) without a problem. If I then open that file in Picasa2 and edit it (e.g. Feeling Lucky tool) and then repost to SM, the file lands on SM but eternally remains as a "Processing Image" placeholder: the image never renders.

If I then take that same corrupt jpg and open and resave it in any image tool (e.g. ZoombrowserEX) the file can upload to Sm with no problem.

This tells me that Picasa2 adds metadata or some other stuff that keeps SM from storing or rendering the image correctly.

Anybody have a solution? I really like Picasa because it a) can crop pics while retaining their printing dimensions, b) is free and 3) has the Feeling Lucky tool that fixes my white balance.

Kip

Which uploader (s)? Can you email me one file so I can test it pls? Send it to my attn at help@smugmug.com

Thanks!
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 12, 2006
    Any update on this? I have been using Picasa now for several weeks without any problems uploading edited photos?

We did have a period of time where the system was really slow and files took longer to upload. I am using both S*E and the basic uploader.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com