Options

Question by email - Re 20D - 5D

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited December 19, 2005 in Cameras

Thank you in advance for your guidance, here. I am looking to upgrade from the 20D to the 5D; I have two questions: one, will I see a difference in pure image quality between the two (excluding issues of DOF, print size, auto-focus abilities, etc..,) two, given the fact that I'm new to photography, will I find it difficult to obtain good images from the 5D, if I use the Zeiss 21 2.8 with adapter (meaning, will it be difficult for me to use, given my
inexperience.)?

My current lenses are:

85 1.2
35 1.4
135 2
17-40
50 1.4

Will I see a noticeable difference between the 17-40 and Zeiss lens?

I'll answer part of this, I'm sure our community will chime in, too :thumb

First of all - don't think for a minute that you can't make BIG prints from the 20D - that's a measurebator's myth (big print from 8mpx Sony 828). I have 20x30s from 5mpx cameras that look great, too. Sure, megapixels are nice, but don't get hung up on "more is better" or "less won't let me print big" Bah!

Secondly - as to image quality - OK now, yeah, there's a difference here - but we're talking about ribs and chateaubriand IMO. The image quality is superb on the 20D. There's more resolution, more details on the 5D. A landscape shot with the 20D and shot with the 5D will tell the tale. BUT I have wonderful landscapes that I've sold & licensed from my 20D, 10D, and Rebel! The 5D and CZ 21 can't be beat IMO for wide angle work. There's no comparison of the CZ 21 to the 17-40 - none. That said, the 17-40 is superb, on 1.6x body!

My recommendation? You have a great collection of lenses. Use them, use them a lot. Start with the 20D, which is a fantastic value right now - can be had for around $1050, $1100 new -- when you are truly limited by the it in terms of your wide angle work, then go for a 5D and the CZ 21.

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Comments

• Options
    wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Secondly - as to image quality - OK now, yeah, there's a difference here - but we're talking about ribs and chateaubriand IMO.
    Attention: David, update the "andy random quote generator" with this one!

Agree with all your comments above too.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Options
    edited December 8, 2005
    Attention: Mike, update the "andy random quote generator" with this one!

Agree with all your comments above too.

Yup - they're both really good, in different ways!

Speaking of ribs - Here's my new favorite mail-order rib joint

Mmm Mmmm

PKLP0412.jpgPKCP0117.jpg

:eat :eat
  • Options
    CameronCameron Registered Users Posts: 745 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    Andy wrote:

Mail order!? nope, I just drive down the road... In fact, I'm eating there this weekend. mwink.gif One benefit of living in KC. ;) Ok, I'm done hijacking this thread.
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    CSwinton wrote:
    Mail order!? nope, I just drive down the road... In fact, I'm eating there this weekend. mwink.gif One benefit of living in KC. ;) Ok, I'm done hijacking this thread.

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif amen. I absolutely Love Jack Stack. there is one not 5 blocks from my house.rolleyes1.gif maybe i could hook you up andy.mwink.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2005
    Thanks for the link to http://www.starvingphotographer.com/. Great stuff.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2005
    Follow up on 20d
    Andy wrote:
    I'll answer part of this, I'm sure our community will chime in, too thumb.gif

First of all - don't think for a minute that you can't make BIG prints from the 20D - that's a measurebator's myth (big print from 8mpx Sony 828). I have 20x30s from 5mpx cameras that look great, too. Sure, megapixels are nice, but don't get hung up on "more is better" or "less won't let me print big" Bah!

Secondly - as to image quality - OK now, yeah, there's a difference here - but we're talking about ribs and chateaubriand IMO. The image quality is superb on the 20D. There's more resolution, more details on the 5D. A landscape shot with the 20D and shot with the 5D will tell the tale. BUT I have wonderful landscapes that I've sold & licensed from my 20D, 10D, and Rebel! The 5D and CZ 21 can't be beat IMO for wide angle work. There's no comparison of the CZ 21 to the 17-40 - none. That said, the 17-40 is superb, on 1.6x body!

My recommendation? You have a great collection of lenses. Use them, use them a lot. Start with the 20D, which is a fantastic value right now - can be had for around $1050, $1100 new -- when you are truly limited by the it in terms of your wide angle work, then go for a 5D and the CZ 21.

I hope this helps.

All the best,
    Andy,

I contacted you before hen thinking about the D-Rebel. I am now strongly considering the 20D as an upgrade from my lovely 828 - where did you find the 20d prices you mention?

best regards,

Gary
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2005
    CSwinton wrote:

I hate you.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2005
    DanielB wrote:
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif amen. I absolutely Love Jack Stack. there is one not 5 blocks from my house.rolleyes1.gif maybe i could hook you up andy.mwink.gif

I hate you, too.
  • Options
    edited December 9, 2005
    gpgold wrote:
    Andy,

I contacted you before hen thinking about the D-Rebel. I am now strongly considering the 20D as an upgrade from my lovely 828 - where did you find the 20d prices you mention?

best regards,

Gary

Try www.onecall.com or b&h. Newegg is also good. Actually the best price before rebates etc is about $1250 or so. $100 Rebate In Effect Now. Best is to buy 3 more lenses (get triple rebates!) and get $300 off the camera, too.
  • Options
    gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Try www.onecall.com or b&h. Newegg is also good. Actually the best price before rebates etc is about $1250 or so. $100 Rebate In Effect Now. Best is to buy 3 more lenses (get triple rebates!) and get $300 off the camera, too.
    Thanks Andy! You are always the best.

Gary
  • Options
    CodeSectionCodeSection Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited December 9, 2005
    Hi Gary,

You might want to check out Costco. They are limited to a few packages, but the prices are great. The nice thing about Costco is that their return policy is unlimited. Say you have have problems two years from now, they will refund your money with no hassles. You do not need to pay extra for any additional warranty. Just a thought........deal.gif

Check it out...

http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?cat=83&eCat=BC|79|83&whse=BC&topnav=
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2005
    Andy if you want to try some great BBQ I would have to recommend Dreamland BBQ http://www.dreamlandbbq.com/main/default.asp . Also you might check out http://www.maxshores.com/films/bbq.htm to see some info on other small town BBQ places.

I live in Birmingham, AL and there a great # of places and their are a good # of multiple locations for many of those. But in Tuscaloosa there are tons of mom and pop joints. Per person I bet they have the most BBQ places in the U.S. And some of the best ones are in places you think twice about going into, but after you have tasted the food, you come back.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited December 18, 2005
    Andy wrote:

Mmm Mmmm

PKLP0412.jpgPKCP0117.jpg

I just needed to come back to this post: Jack Stack's delivered a few days ago. I had the beef ribs last night for dinner - and man, are they most excellent :eat :eat :eat :eat :eat

Not only that, but I can promise you that they *look* exactly like the photos, which is not always the case for mail-order ribs.

thumb.gif
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    I just needed to come back to this post: Jack Stack's delivered a few days ago. I had the beef ribs last night for dinner - and man, are they most excellent :eat :eat :eat :eat :eat

Not only that, but I can promise you that they *look* exactly like the photos, which is not always the case for mail-order ribs.

thumb.gif

only place to eat ribs are Jack Stack's, Zardas, and *oh andy you should try this place, you'd LOVE them* KC masterpiece. :eat
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    TOF guyTOF guy Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited December 19, 2005
    Andy wrote:
    Try (snip) b&h.
    B&H has an on-going promotion on the 20D until ... tomorrow (12/20 is the last day). You need to call and give this code:
    PSDEC006
    and you'll get $15 off.

If you order one of the following lenses:
    16-35 f2.8 EF L
    or
    70-200 f2.8 IS EF L
    and give the following code:
    PSDEC053 for the first lens and PSPSDEC054 for the telezoom than you'll get $100 off the current B&H price.

That's on top of any rebate Canon has to offer. But act fast !
    Thierry