NIK software update?? WTH Google??!!!!

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited December 1, 2013 in Digital Darkroom
Has anyone else had issues with the new update that keeps reaching into your computer from cyberspace and crashing photoshop? I use NIK extensively in CS6 and on Oct31 they had an update that seems to crash PS. There is no setting to not get auto updates either. The fix is uninstall NIK and reinstall the old version. Yesterday it did it again. I lost a project I was working on for almost an hr. The first time around it cost me hrs figuring out what even happened. I thought I had a virus.

This is our new cloud based software at work. Auto update!!! Good or bad you just have to live with it. :scratch

Comments

• FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2013
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2013
    I get them, they just crash. I just uninstalled NIK and re installed with new version......crash. Uninstalled new version and re installed old one, good to go. At least until it auto updates again.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2013
    edited November 10, 2013
    Thank you for the link Andy. It could be that I need other updates? But looking around it seems many are having similar issues.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2013
    Zerodog wrote: »
    Thank you for the link Andy. It could be that I need other updates? But looking around it seems many are having similar issues.

I got the "upgrade" which was just the addition of the unimpressive Analog Efex Pro. I didn't have any problems but a few folks did. They resolved the problem by uninstalling Analog Efex.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2013
    Hell, I didn't even know there was an update?? Did they email you?? Because there isn't any way I can see from the filters to check for the update otherwise I'd give it a shot
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2013
    I downloaded the update, applied the new filter to one of my pictures and had no issues with PS CC
  • rkw624rkw624 Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2013
    This "Collection" has been nothing but a nightmare for me. Been in contact via email, sent in my log file, and a few phone calls for three weeks now. Nothing but crashes, lock ups, etc. Using CS5 with it. About ready to give up til they get their act togeher.
    Rich
    edited November 13, 2013
    The problem is this, in a few days it auto updates again. And then crash. For those of you that NIK is working, what version of PS and Win? Or are you on Mac?

I am on cs6, win 7. No win updates for maybe over 1 year.
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2013
  • DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2013
    Zerodog wrote: »
    The problem is this, in a few days it auto updates again. And then crash. For those of you that NIK is working, what version of PS and Win? Or are you on Mac?

I am on cs6, win 7. No win updates for maybe over 1 year.

I am using OSX 10.9 and PS 13.0.6 x 64 extended. All the plugins work great for me.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited November 16, 2013
    Kept getting a message, when trying to open PS, that .dll file was missing and to reinstall Photoshop (CS6 and CS4)
    Did that and it made no difference.
    Came across a suggestion to uninstall NIK then reinstall PS first, then NIK
    Seems to have solve the problem
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited November 21, 2013
    Just came across a link to a video by Nik showing how to install on CC. Maybe it'll help. http://youtu.be/vEvOA6a4Gf0
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2013
    Man I feel so behind the times, I just saw this today while I was fighting similar issues. More fun for the weekend
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited December 1, 2013
    I just downloaded the full trial version, Windows7/CS5. I haven't done much other than start a couple of them and look at some presets, but it seems to be working fine. I didn't see any option that lets you control updates. ne_nau.gif

FWIW.

Edit: There's no update control in the demo version, but the Help file shows something in Settings to select update frequency.