Options

NewSmug Contact

AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
edited August 25, 2013 in SmugMug Support
I click "Contact Me" in my menu and a box pops up. I assume this will be emailed to me for visitors but
who gets the email if I'm logged in? Does it work like legacy and goes to the help desk? If it does go to
the help desk why not for the logged in version state that on the box?
Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
My Website index | My Blog

Comments

• Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    Allen wrote: »
    I click "Contact Me" in my menu and a box pops up. I assume this will be emailed to me for visitors but
    who gets the email if I'm logged in? Does it work like legacy and goes to the help desk? If it does go to
    the help desk why not for the logged in version state that on the box?
    It should go to you.
    I tested mine - I sent myself an email to test it and was positively amazed that it worked right first time!!!

Sorry for the late edit.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    beardedgit wrote: »
    It should go to you.
    I tested mine - I sent myself an email to test it and was positively amazed that it worked right first time!!!
    But what happens when you are logged in? The legacy contact emailed Smug support.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    But what happens when you are logged in?
    I was logged in when I tested it.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    beardedgit wrote: »
    I was logged in when I tested it.
    It's a bug then if logged in the emails are not sent to the help desk.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    It's a bug then...
    Well ain't that a surprise!

[goes off to look for the "sarcasm" smilie]
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
  • Options
    pbandjpbandj Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    It's a bug then if logged in the emails are not sent to the help desk.

Interesting...I never tried this in legacy. But the new behavior makes sense: if I visit my own "contact me" page, whether I'm logged in or not, I expect the email to come to me.

I've always just used the support email if I needed to contact the help desk.

But I guess I'll let Smugmug decide whether this is a bug or not...for me, it's functioning as I would expect, but it sounds like they changed how this used to function.

I think for new users who had no idea that the old "contact" form went to the help desk when logged in, this behavior would not be intuitive or obvious, so if they do change it, they might want to display some text when logged in that explains that you're sending an email to the help desk...otherwise you might be sending something you didn't intend!
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    I have no idea why I would contact myself? But logged off or visitors do have that option of
    contacting the site owner without the owner's email address exposed.
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2013
    Wow talk about worrying about nothing...
    If you are needing the help desk... email help at smugmug dot com or go to http://help.smugmug.com why on earth would you use *your own* contact form? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    Wow talk about worrying about nothing...
    If you are needing the help desk... email help at smugmug dot com or go to http://help.smugmug.com why on earth would you use *your own* contact form? ne_nau.gif
    Duh! That's exactly the way legacy worked.

Because it's convenient to click from any page on my site.

Kind of stupid when logged in to email yourself.
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    Duh! That's exactly the way legacy worked.

Because it's convenient to click from any page on my site.

Kind of stupid when logged in to email yourself.

Well. This is the new world! If you want SM Help, simply email them or go to http://help.smugmug.com thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 24, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    Well. This is the new world! If you want SM Help, simply email them or go to http://help.smugmug.com thumb.gif
    What kinda #^%%# answer is that? Why would any reasonable person want to click a bunch of times
    when one click does it? :D
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2013
    What kinda #^%%# answer is that? Why would any reasonable person want to click a bunch of times
    when one click does it? :D

Just a practical answer.

SmugMug has decided on a small behavioral change which is easily handled by browser bookmark or by an address entry in your email system. There are bigger fish to fry, so I wouldn't even give this a second's more breath.
  • Options
    LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    pbandj wrote: »
    Interesting...I never tried this in legacy. But the new behavior makes sense: if I visit my own "contact me" page, whether I'm logged in or not, I expect the email to come to me.

I've always just used the support email if I needed to contact the help desk.

But I guess I'll let Smugmug decide whether this is a bug or not...for me, it's functioning as I would expect, but it sounds like they changed how this used to function.

I think for new users who had no idea that the old "contact" form went to the help desk when logged in, this behavior would not be intuitive or obvious, so if they do change it, they might want to display some text when logged in that explains that you're sending an email to the help desk...otherwise you might be sending something you didn't intend!

+1

If anything the way it was in Legacy sounds more like a bug! The first thing I did when I set up my new 'Contact me' link was to send one to myself to test if it was working. I would have found it very strange indeed if that had gone to the help desk instead and would have reported my missing email as a bug immediately :D

If I need to contact the support desk, I just email the support desk which seems much more logical to me!
  • Options
    Djm3006Djm3006 Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2013
    LPC wrote: »
    +1

If anything the way it was in Legacy sounds more like a bug! The first thing I did when I set up my new 'Contact me' link was to send one to myself to test if it was working. I would have found it very strange indeed if that had gone to the help desk instead and would have reported my missing email as a bug immediately :D

If I need to contact the support desk, I just email the support desk which seems much more logical to me!

Indeed