Options

Gallery copy

simoncmosimoncmo Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited August 15, 2013 in SmugMug Support
is it possible to copy a total gallery and place it in a new gallery instead of having to upload all of the pictures again

thanks

simon

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,246 moderator
    edited March 28, 2013
    Are you looking to leave the photos in the current gallery plus make a copy in another gallery?

If that's what you want you will need to make a copy of each photo using Tools... This Photo... Make a copy, then move the copy to the other gallery. I find it easier in this case to upload the photos a second time placing them in the second gallery.

Do you need a real copy of the photos? If a virtual copy would work for you, try creating a gallery that collects the photos from the original gallery. See help page at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93310.

--- Denise
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited March 28, 2013
    simoncmo wrote: »
    is it possible to copy a total gallery and place it in a new gallery instead of having to upload all of the pictures again

thanks

simon

Simon, if you use the Lightroom plug in, you can just drag the photos from the gallery into a new gallery and publish. You can finds more information on how to use the plug in on this help page.

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93281-how-do-i-upload-from-lightroom-

Please let us know if you have any questions!

Michael
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2013
    I hired someone to make a tool for this a while ago. PM me if you want to try it out. It's kinda alpha software, but I thought I remember it working.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • Options
    oddstuffoddstuff Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    I am also looking for a similar need i.e. the ability to duplicate a gallery with all the similar settings, with or without the photos.

E.g. I run a monthly contest June 2013 and I have password'ed site for them to upload photos. Now I want to run July and I want an exact gallery (I can always delete the photos replicated) like June with all the format and settings intact.

It would be good to have "Make a Copy" under "This Gallery" just like "Make a Copy" under "This Photo"...

Much thx for any advice or workarounds.
    Anicca - the Theory of Impermanence: camera changes, photos stay (in Smugmug).
    About me - one of the the junior siblings in Dgrin family (DOB May 2006).
  • Options
    efg40efg40 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited August 15, 2013
    With Legacy Smugmug I used to use the "collect photos" option. I would create a new gallery where I wanted the copies to show and then from the original gallery click the collect photos option. It would open a page of thumbnails of the whole gallery. I'd choose the newly created gallery as the destination and then highlight all the photos I wanted to show in the new gallery. Wasn't too hard.

Using the new Smugmug, I can't find a way to collect more than one photo at a time and must choose the destination each time. Far too time-consuming! Why is the share button on the organize page only linked to Facebook publishing? (So I can't "select all" and then collect?)

But even better would be to be able to copy a gallery! I'd love for this to be an option.
  • Options
    Darter02Darter02 Registered Users Posts: 947 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    oddstuff wrote: »
    I am also looking for a similar need i.e. the ability to duplicate a gallery with all the similar settings, with or without the photos.

E.g. I run a monthly contest June 2013 and I have password'ed site for them to upload photos. Now I want to run July and I want an exact gallery (I can always delete the photos replicated) like June with all the format and settings intact.

It would be good to have "Make a Copy" under "This Gallery" just like "Make a Copy" under "This Photo"...

Much thx for any advice or workarounds.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you just make a "Quick Settings" from your June gallery, create a new gallery and apply it to that?
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2013
    efg40 wrote: »
    With Legacy Smugmug I used to use the "collect photos" option. I would create a new gallery where I wanted the copies to show and then from the original gallery click the collect photos option. It would open a page of thumbnails of the whole gallery. I'd choose the newly created gallery as the destination and then highlight all the photos I wanted to show in the new gallery. Wasn't too hard.

Using the new Smugmug, I can't find a way to collect more than one photo at a time and must choose the destination each time. Far too time-consuming! Why is the share button on the organize page only linked to Facebook publishing? (So I can't "select all" and then collect?)

But even better would be to be able to copy a gallery! I'd love for this to be an option.

I'm with you 100%! I used the old sites collect tool all the time. I'll collect photos and place them in various galleries by subject, theme, whatever.

Now it's a real pain in the but, plus if you use the old method of "delete" and not the new "remove," it'll kill the original. Also missing is the "See in original gallery" that would appear in the caption.
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    Darter02 wrote: »
    ... Also missing is the "See in original gallery" that would appear in the caption.

FWIW, I'm seeing a "From ....." link under my collected photos when in Gallery View, it does link back to the photo in its original gallery:

collectedfrom-1-O.jpg

See it at http://beardedgit.smugmug.com/Astronomy/My-Astropics/My-Astropics-The-Chosen-Few/i-qqpwxpJ

Maybe it shows in some themes but not in others?
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2013
    beardedgit wrote: »

Maybe it shows in some themes but not in others?

That would seem to be the case. I use a collage, and when I open an image in the light box that doesn't appear.
  • Options
    beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2013
    Darter02 wrote: »
    That would seem to be the case. I use a collage, and when I open an image in the light box that doesn't appear.
    I'll bet there's a way to throw some CSS or HTML at it to make it show. Maybe it's worth you starting a new thread to see if someone can whip up a bit of code for you? Good luck, if you get it sorted please tell us how.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!