Options

>> challenge 16 - comment and critiques thread <<

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited July 13, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
this is the place to put your potential submissions in to dgrin challenge 16, "the quality of light," for comments, critique, and feedback by fellow dgrinners.

please *do not* make any comments on the images in the main thread for challenge 16 entries. thank you :D

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2004
    Evening light
    I started working on this a few days ago, when Andy said it was OK. I already posted these elsewhere, but I was really thinking hard about the quality of evening light when I shot them, so I'd love critiques from you all. As I said when I posted them, there was a lot of quality to the light that evening.

(I'm having a little bit of a hard time keeping up with the rules. It is OK to post multiple images here, right? Don't be afraid to correct me if not; I can take it.)

5648504-L.jpg

5648672-L.jpg

5648700-L.jpg

5648737-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2004
    number of images to post in the coments thread
    rutt wrote:

(I'm having a little bit of a hard time keeping up with the rules. It is OK to post multiple images here, right? Don't be afraid to correct me if not; I can take it.)

post away ... any number you like. but keep in mind, it's easier for folks to comment & critique on fewer images. personally, i'd narrow down to a couple 2 or 3 at a time, leaning more towards 2.... it's less burden on the responders, and therefore you should be able to get more responses. make sense?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited July 1, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I started working on this a few days ago, when Andy said it was OK. I already posted these elsewhere, but I was really thinking hard about the quality of evening light when I shot them, so I'd love critiques from you all. As I said when I posted them, there was a lot of quality to the light that evening.

5648504-S.jpg

5648672-S.jpg

5648700-S.jpg

5648737-S.jpg
    Nice soft, warm, diffused late afternoon light is always good for me.lickout.gif Particualrly like 2 and 3.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2004
    Rutt,
    I love the last one. The Old classic water front homes/busniesses with the GREAT water reflections. Then the contrast with the Modern ship mast behind the homes. Just a great shot pointing out the great evolution of the waterfront.

I should head down to Newport Beach, CA and see what fun I can get on the water front. Newport is full of great contrasts.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2004
    Hey kids,

Another hint we've discussed elsewhere. When you're responding to someone's images and you want to include their photos... if it's linked from smugmug, please change the extension from L to S.

That way you change the size of the photo from Large to Small. It makes it much easier to navigate the thread.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I started working on this a few days ago,

5648504-S.jpg

Like this! Remember, it has to be a capital S. Just look at the end of the link, where it says -L.jpg and change it to -S.jpg.

Just click on Reply to this post and you can see what I did.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2004
    11pm, roof with tripod
    Tomorrow's Ferry

5687764-L.jpg

Tanks:

5687694-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2004
    Rose with back light
    One more, don't mean to hog, after this one, I'll wait for others to post. I just love this topic and I've been having fun with it since Andy gave the green light.

5648268-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2004
    I really like the light on the flag in this photo, this being the 4th of July weekend.

5648504-S.jpg

Also the nice, easy feeling in the photo of the houses on the waterfront.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2004
    Nice shot of your beautiful dog. Looks like a Corgy. I like the detail in the photo with the line by the eye.

ginger_55 wrote:
    I like all of yours, Rutt. Newport is a bit bigger than I imagined, if that is where you are. I have a dog. All I have is a dog and a bunch of panic. My loyal dog, Lassie........................... nah, he is Skye, but he is loyal, unless I sing, then he doesn't know me.

This was the dog, and dog, and husband that I had. We were out front, because the sun was too low for the backyard. Out front the dogs have to be leashed and watched, hence my husband. So I tried, I really did, the dogs really did not do what I was hoping they would do, so here is the picture I ended up with in my quest for "quality of light".

I might have deleted it, but the dog on the left, well, I thought I might keep the picture just in case. I did not kill the intruding dog on the right, nice of me.

Is this too much photoshopping?

5643925-M.jpg

I cleaned it up a bit, below, but I also took out the line by his eye. Should I have left it in, or does it not matter? Also the shadow under his "chin"?

I would appreciate knowing what you all think about the lines around his eyes and the shadow under his chin. Anything else? I have a friend who just sputtered, and over the internet, too, she said, "you took a nice family picture and turned it into a studio type portrait". She was not being complimentary. She wants me out at the marsh before dawn, daily.

ginger
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2004
    5689316-S.jpg

Your corgi is very nice and better now that I can tell he isn't a fox. The photoshopping looks like it was hard (all those hairs!) How did you do it?
    Anway, I'm afraid it also looks a little fake to me. Maybe you have the halo problem described in the discussion of the LL shots?

I wouldn't remove the line. That's a facial feature of this dog, isn't it? The dog doesn't care about it. Not the same at all as Lynn's nudes or Judy and Gail's wedding pictures.

Oh, and what role is the quality of light playing here?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Tomorrow's Ferry

Oh great shot rutt.. I love the Ferry, I love the second one too but this just tipped the scale..clap.gif
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I like all of yours, Rutt. Newport is a bit bigger than I imagined, if that is where you are. I have a dog. All I have is a dog and a bunch of panic. My loyal dog, Lassie........................... nah, he is Skye, but he is loyal, unless I sing, then he doesn't know me.

This was the dog, and dog, and husband that I had. We were out front, because the sun was too low for the backyard. Out front the dogs have to be leashed and watched, hence my husband. So I tried, I really did, the dogs really did not do what I was hoping they would do, so here is the picture I ended up with in my quest for "quality of light".

I might have deleted it, but the dog on the left, well, I thought I might keep the picture just in case. I did not kill the intruding dog on the right, nice of me.

Is this too much photoshopping?

I cleaned it up a bit, below, but I also took out the line by his eye. Should I have left it in, or does it not matter? Also the shadow under his "chin"?

I would appreciate knowing what you all think about the lines around his eyes and the shadow under his chin. Anything else? I have a friend who just sputtered, and over the internet, too, she said, "you took a nice family picture and turned it into a studio type portrait". She was not being complimentary. She wants me out at the marsh before dawn, daily.

ginger
    Hi Ginger,
    I love your corgi shots.. I think this one may be a little ps over cooked and having seen some of your other shots I know you can do better for the "quality of light". I would'nt send you out into the marsh daily, maybe just one morning??:D
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Hi Ginger,
    I love your corgi shots.. I think this one may be a little ps over cooked and having seen some of your other shots I know you can do better for the "quality of light". I would'nt send you out into the marsh daily, maybe just one morning??:D
    I agree about relevence of the dog to the topic, but I played around with the shot a little anyway, just for fun. What do you think of this crop?

5693117-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2004
    My sink..I'm desperate..
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    My sink..I'm desperate..
    and pathetic with my shots...when I have feet again I'll improve.. won't I????
  • Options
    BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    My sink..I'm desperate..
    I like the sink shot, Glass was a great addition, good composition, great color in the flowers, But Lynn, you need to get the water spots off that faucet :sweet
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited July 1, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    My sink..I'm desperate..
    WOW!!! Lovely shot of a very straightforward subject. You no longer need to go outside to get good images. Laughing.gif You create them where you see them. Super job!!

I am very impressed. - BUT - now I want an explanation of your Gaussian overlay that you did - You did overlay a Gaussian blur didn't you?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2004
    Lynn, I like both shots. How did you get the bird to cooperate?
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2004
    Lynn, love the sink! rolleyes1.gif Seriously, that's a really nice shot of a mundane item. Gaussian blur w/a layer?

Ginger, sorry if my post is leading you in the direction. Listen to the majority! I'll clam up!
    Sid.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2004
    Patriots Point
    Oh, Sid, I got your message, went and took a photo asap.

Raindrops below

5705854-L.jpg

Raindrops, like I said

ginger again.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    Still Life

5708870-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    Jeez, Ginger, you didn't have to panic after all. 4 really good images, right on topic. The aircraft carrier could be a magazine cover, so vast and sharp!

I'd eliminate the photo session one, though I like it and see the role light plays in it. I don't think it's a contest winner (which might not mean it isn't the best picture, "lol"). The bridge also has hugeness.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    5708870-S.jpg

Very nice. The flowers are so nice and red. Because the topic is "quality of light", I found myself wondering what would happen if the candle were behind the glass or vase? Or if the candle were the only light source. There are probably outtakes like that...
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    Bryan wrote:
    I like the sink shot, Glass was a great addition, good composition, great color in the flowers, But Lynn, you need to get the water spots off that faucet :sweet
    Yeah you know I saw that??? and thought.. well, thats how it is...so funny hey??:D
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    Sandy wrote:
    Lynn, I like both shots. How did you get the bird to cooperate?
    rolleyes1.gif photoshop....I know I know.. I'm a cheater..:D
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

Still fishing, after the storm by ginger

Raindrops below

Raindrops, like I said

ginger again.
    Two great shots Ginger..lovely light. Feelin better??:D
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    WOW!!! Lovely shot of a very straightforward subject. You no longer need to go outside to get good images. Laughing.gif You create them where you see them. Super job!!

I am very impressed. - BUT - now I want an explanation of your Gaussian overlay that you did - You did overlay a Gaussian blur didn't you?
    Thanks Path and Sid.. yep, I think it's standard practice for me right now to gaussion blur everything in site?rolleyes1.gif

Messed with curves a bit. Duplicated the layer. Heavy gaussion blur about 7. Wiped off 50% then with a small brush wiped off 100% from faucet and glass then sharpened all and with a brush sharpen the faucet and glass more. I shudda windexed the chrome first :D
  • Options
    edited July 2, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I like this, I downloaded it without doing anything to it, just because I liked the shapes and was curious.

5708068-L.jpg
    I PS'ed it to bring up the dramma of the sky. Just LAB curves and sharpening. There are lots of different chromatic directions for a drammatic sky.

5718443-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:

5705847-L.jpg

Still fishing, after the storm by ginger

Raindrops below

5705854-L.jpg

Raindrops, like I said

ginger again.
    Ginger,

These are imho the nicest shots I have ever seen you post. I love them both, glad you can only enter one. I dont know what I would have to do to pick one over the other. Fanstastic work.