jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited June 19, 2013 in Sports
fichl04-X3.jpg

fichl13-X3.jpg

fichl25-X3.jpg

fichl31-X3.jpg

fichl69-X3.jpg

fichl59-X3.jpg

Very pleased with the IQ, AF, ISO, and general performance of the camera. C&C welcome.
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited June 9, 2012
    Nice series. Glad to see the kids are still bunching lol3.gif

Are you shooting from the stands or one of the benches?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2012
    Thanks. First shot was from the stands, the rest are from the benches. I generally didn't like the angle from the stands.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited June 11, 2012
    Very nice shots. May I ask what focal length were you using?

Thanks, Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    edited June 11, 2012
    Thanks. I was using my 70-200/2.8II. Usually at 200mm. The full set is here if you want to look at exif data. Manual exposure at 1/500, f/2.8. I started out at ISO 2000, then went to 2500, then to 3200. In DPP I adjusted the brightness of the raw files to match what I saw at 3200. So I believe this basically means all the final jpegs are at 3200 equivalent. I'm very happy with the IQ at this ISO.
    -Jack

• Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited June 12, 2012
    Nicely done! The kids look like they're having an awesome time! I think the focus problems have been fixed with the 5D3.

My only suggestions would be watch the horizons on some and crop a bit tighter.
  • Options
    edited June 13, 2012
    Thanks. These images are for sale to the parents, so I like to crop a little loose to allow for different print shapes. I do a final crop during order approval.
    -Jack

• Options
    iceshoticeshot Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 13, 2013
    Hello Jack,

I am very impressed with the quality of your work.
    Would you be so kind as to share the essentials of the sharpening that you use?
    I am aware of the date stamp on this thead, but still wanted to ask.

Many thanks
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2013
    Jack - I'm not shooting a lot of sports anymore, but I get a 5dIII a few months ago. I've been very happy with it. Out of curiosity, what focus cases have you used for your sports shooting? Any conclusions on which cases work well for which sports? I just don't shoot sports frequently enough right now to get a good read on that. So, it's always helpful to hear from people using the gear more regularly for sports work.

Great shots by the way. I moved up from a 1dIII - the ISO gain was nice, but what really has impressed me is how much more detail and color detail I have and can pull out when I screw a shot up. A much nicer safety net.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2013
    iceshot wrote: »
    Hello Jack,

I am very impressed with the quality of your work.
    Would you be so kind as to share the essentials of the sharpening that you use?
    I am aware of the date stamp on this thead, but still wanted to ask.

Many thanks

Thanks. These were processed from RAW in Canon Digital Photo Professional (DPP). I use the "Sharpening" setting rather than the "Unsharp Mask" setting and these were done at my usual sharpness setting of 5. That's it. Nothing fancy. This lens and body combo is very sharp.
    johng wrote: »
    Jack - I'm not shooting a lot of sports anymore, but I get a 5dIII a few months ago. I've been very happy with it. Out of curiosity, what focus cases have you used for your sports shooting? Any conclusions on which cases work well for which sports?

I'm hesitant to advise you on this because I'm not totally confident of my choices, but I've been pleased with my results. So I would say YMMV and you should RTFM about this subject! ;) However, the weekend after I got my 5D3 last March, I went out and shot skiers going off a jump and I just left it in case 1 and I was very pleased. I also seem to have had good luck with Case 4 for soccer and hockey, with the Accel/Decel tracking set to 2. Case 6 seems like the catch-all when you're not sure. I think there are some Canon whitepapers on this subject that we should probably both read.
    -Jack

• Options
    edited March 14, 2013
    johng wrote: »
    Great shots by the way. I moved up from a 1dIII - the ISO gain was nice, but what really has impressed me is how much more detail and color detail I have and can pull out when I screw a shot up. A much nicer safety net.

Oh yeah... check out this little test I did: http://jmphotocraft.com/lrdr/seeingthelightroom.htm
    -Jack

• Options
    iceshoticeshot Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited June 19, 2013
    Thanks. These were processed from RAW in Canon Digital Photo Professional (DPP). I use the "Sharpening" setting rather than the "Unsharp Mask" setting and these were done at my usual sharpness setting of 5. That's it. Nothing fancy. This lens and body combo is very sharp.

Thank you very much for the feedback! I am not a frequent visitor here as you can see...
    I am still very impressed with the quality. I shoot a99 and get similar outcome only with SAL300f2.8 in well-lit rinks while shooting from the bench. My SAL70200f2.8 workhorse unfortunately is not that sharp at 200mm. I also shoot RAW and then process with LR4.3. I crank up Luma for high ISO noise reduction, but have very little luck with additional sharpening. Once again, many thanks for your reply!