• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Gear Flea Market For Hire WTH: A few Photographers Needed for WidowMaker Hillclimb June 22-23 (UTAH)

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old May-02-2012, 05:05 AM
Zerodog is offline Zerodog OP
Nikonowhore
A few Photographers Needed for WidowMaker Hillclimb June 22-23 (UTAH)
It is that time of year again! WidowMaker Hillclimb. If you want a chance to come shoot some one of the wildest sports you will ever get a chance to take pictures at check this out.
http://widowmaker.info/

We are the official event photographers for the event. We have exclusive access to the hill and can go anywhere we want.

It is hot and dusty, the bikes are really loud, the event is all day long, you have to hike up and down a super steep hill, you get sprayed with rocks, but it is awesome!

Must have a decent camera body and a 70-200 2.8 And must be in good enough shape to get around the mountain all day.

PM me for details.
Old May-09-2012, 02:20 PM
Nikonowhore
This is a paid gig.
Old May-10-2012, 09:27 PM
EphTwoEight is offline EphTwoEight
Major grins
I have D800, and should have 70-200 soon. Live in STG. So if you still need someone, let me know.
Old May-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Bendr is offline Bendr
Major grins
This looks cool, but I don't have the 2.8.

How do you feel about the Canon 70-200 f4 IS with a 40D? It's been a wonderful combination for me :)

Ben
Old May-14-2012, 09:30 AM
Nikonowhore
Quote:
Originally Posted by EphTwoEight View Post
I have D800, and should have 70-200 soon. Live in STG. So if you still need someone, let me know.
Great setup but not for a sports event. Too many pixels. It would be too slow to process those files in bulk on my system. Do you have another body? Preferably one of Nikons 12mp bodies?
Old May-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Nikonowhore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendr View Post
This looks cool, but I don't have the 2.8.

How do you feel about the Canon 70-200 f4 IS with a 40D? It's been a wonderful combination for me :)

Ben
Last year I had a guy shooting with that lens and it was not so hot. Although I have heard that that lens is awesome. I think he had an issue with that particular one.
He also shot with the canon 100-400 and that was stellar.
Old May-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Bendr is offline Bendr
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerodog View Post
Last year I had a guy shooting with that lens and it was not so hot. Although I have heard that that lens is awesome. I think he had an issue with that particular one.
He also shot with the canon 100-400 and that was stellar.
I rented one of those a few years back... That was a pretty sweet lens. :)

I was going to show you a few sports shots, then it dawned on me they were taken with my 24-105 before I owned the 70-200 :p

Guess I have an excuse to get out and play more with the 70-200
Old May-14-2012, 01:15 PM
Nikonowhore
Bendr, are you in UT?
Old May-14-2012, 09:24 PM
EphTwoEight is offline EphTwoEight
Major grins
Quote:
Great setup but not for a sports event. Too many pixels. It would be too slow to process those files in bulk on my system. Do you have another body? Preferably one of Nikons 12mp bodies?
I've shot with it on JPEG and they are 9-12MB files, and I've played with the 1.5x crop mode, for 16mp's and of course longer focal lengths. Plenty fast on my MBP.
Old May-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Bendr is offline Bendr
Major grins
Quote:
Bendr, are you in UT?
I live in Nor Cal, but I have family in UT, and I love the UT scenery. Plus, it's summer vacation and I'm due for a road trip. In short, it doesn't take too much to convince me to visit. :)

Ben
Old May-15-2012, 02:00 PM
Nikonowhore
Quote:
Originally Posted by EphTwoEight View Post
I've shot with it on JPEG and they are 9-12MB files, and I've played with the 1.5x crop mode, for 16mp's and of course longer focal lengths. Plenty fast on my MBP.
It is just too much for this type of work. That is my issue with that camera. Don't get me wrong. It is a rad camera. Just not for action sports or events with 1000's of pics. Last year we had over 10,000 files to handle. They were JPEG and it is still too slow. Nothing is ever fast enough when you have a line of people standing waiting for pics.
Old Jun-19-2012, 01:09 PM
Nikonowhore
I could still use 1 more photographer for fri and sat.
Old Jun-29-2012, 05:36 AM
Foques is offline Foques
He who caN
man, I would love to shoot this.. wish it was closer :(

fly me over?
Old Jun-29-2012, 05:18 PM
Quincy T is offline Quincy T
from ear to ear
Wish I lived there....

Tell The World!