• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Gear Cameras Canon 5DmkIII - service announcement - light leak issue

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 3  of  4
1 2 3 4
Old May-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Qarik is offline Qarik
Krazy Korean
canon has come up with a fix now. it involves black tape inside the body. I kid you not
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com
Old May-07-2012, 04:41 PM
Andy is offline Andy
4/3s of a photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qarik View Post
canon has come up with a fix now. it involves black tape inside the body. I kid you not
Uh, did you read post #36 in this very thread :)
http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=...2&postcount=36
Old May-08-2012, 09:49 AM
Nikolai is offline Nikolai
Darth SLR
Called CPS today (upon registering my second 5D3 - which was xxxxx3 with no LL issue ) about how they are going to proceed with light-leaking batches (xxxxx1 and xxxxx2). The TS lady told me that they are collecting names of those who want to send the bodies in for a fix and they are going to start notifying them mid-May. She collected my CPS info. I also registered both bodies with Canon online (it's a separate process from CPS, this one you can do regardless of your CPS status.)
Just wanted to share...
member: NAPP, PPA, partner: Adobe
Comprehending life, universe and everything - one pixel at a time
Old May-08-2012, 10:34 AM
jmphotocraft is offline jmphotocraft
GWC for hire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai View Post
LOL. As the saying goes, you can fix nearly everything with a proper application of a duct tape...
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it binds the universe together!

Oh by the way somehow I was able to take this with my leaky 5D3.

"I bought a new camera, it's very advanced. You don't even need it." - Steven Wright
Old May-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Darth SLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmphotocraft View Post
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side and a dark side, and it binds the universe together!
Never heard that before, gonna steal it :-)

Quote:
Nice shot!
BTW, I never stated that LL issue renders the body unusable. It's just I prefer a $3,500 device not to have such issues...
Old May-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Qarik is offline Qarik
Krazy Korean
Quote:

now be honest..is that the moon in your shot..or the light leak!
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com
Old May-08-2012, 12:51 PM
GWC for hire
Quote:
It's just I prefer a $3,500 device not to have such issues...
1, it's not an issue.

2, I prefer not to subject a $3,500 camera to elective surgery. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qarik View Post
now be honest..is that the moon in your shot..or the light leak!
ha!

"I bought a new camera, it's very advanced. You don't even need it." - Steven Wright
Old May-08-2012, 03:07 PM
Darth SLR
Quote:
it's not an issue.
Let's hear about this 3 years from now when you will be perfoming a next upgrade and trying to sell your copy...
Old May-09-2012, 05:24 AM
GWC for hire
Quote:
Let's hear about this 3 years from now when you will be perfoming a next upgrade and trying to sell your copy...
I can understand the desire to have it fixed, but I'm more of the mind of "if it's not broke, don't fix it." But to your point, I can't imagine why I would need to upgrade this camera before it crumbles in my hands. What will the 5D4 have? 40mp? No thanks. 8fps? Been there, it's nice, but not a game changer. 4k video? Meh.

I also agree with "Mark" on the lensrentals.com forum who said:

Quote:
Interesting point about only having it done “to protect the resale value”.

Firstly, I find it amazing that you believe anyone will even remember there was ever an issue 2 or 3 years down the line when some of you pixel peepers sell your 5D3 to get the 5D4 with its zillion megapixel sensor.

Secondly, if you do get a potential buyer who is anal enough to remember this storm in a tea cup, chances are he/she will ask if the ‘mod’ was done and when you proudly say yes, he will say, sod that then, I am after one that hasn’t been stripped down and bodged up.

He/she will then go and buy a secondhand one that hasn’t had the ‘mod’ done in the full knowledge they will never actually be effected by the non-issue that is generating this short term hysteria.
Mark

Old May-09-2012, 05:30 AM
cmason is offline cmason
Old dog, new tricks
Quote:
ISecondly, if you do get a potential buyer who is anal enough to remember this storm in a tea cup, chances are he/she will ask if the ‘mod’ was done and when you proudly say yes, he will say, sod that then, I am after one that hasn’t been stripped down and bodged up.
right, so anyone looking for a 1DM3 has forgotten the focusing issue, and those that remember it prefer a camera that Canon hasn't mucked with. They would prefer the focusing issue rather than a 4+ yr old camera having been soiled by Canon in an effort to 'fix' it.
Old May-09-2012, 06:05 AM
GWC for hire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmason View Post
right, so anyone looking for a 1DM3 has forgotten the focusing issue, and those that remember it prefer a camera that Canon hasn't mucked with. They would prefer the focusing issue rather than a 4+ yr old camera having been soiled by Canon in an effort to 'fix' it.
Pretty sure the 1D3 autofocus was not fixed with a few strips of electrical tape.

Old May-09-2012, 07:30 AM
cmason is offline cmason
Old dog, new tricks
Quote:
Pretty sure the 1D3 autofocus was not fixed with a few strips of electrical tape.
you are probably right, though I don't recall anyone cracking it open to find out. I really don't get the issue with how it was fixed. The black 'tape' appears to be the official material used throughout the camera for this purpose, and likely it has been used for every other Canon camera as well. You can see it all over the camera from the tear downs. What is 'bad' about a few strips of tape?

Since we are all electrical engineer's here with years of camera manufacturing experience, what would you have preferred as the 'fix' substrate?
Old May-09-2012, 07:57 AM
Overfocused is offline Overfocused
Photo Nut
Quote:
you are probably right, though I don't recall anyone cracking it open to find out. I really don't get the issue with how it was fixed. The black 'tape' appears to be the official material used throughout the camera for this purpose, and likely it has been used for every other Canon camera as well. You can see it all over the camera from the tear downs. What is 'bad' about a few strips of tape?

Since we are all electrical engineer's here with years of camera manufacturing experience, what would you have preferred as the 'fix' substrate?

Of course the only REAL sturdy solutions would to be to fill it to the brim solid with one of the following:

Expanding foam insulation

Gorilla glue

An entire can of black paint

Hardened molasses

Wax

UV cured cement

Mortar

MY personal peeve is that I'm so angry they didn't use DUCT TAPE. Why use inferior black tape?! Duct tape fixes everything and we know it, damnit!!! We trust duct tape with our pipes, cars, children, broken appliances, broken limbs, windows, car bodies, camera accessories, pets, houses, boats, military equipment, flesh wounds ....
Old May-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Darth SLR
I personally would't rely on a short memory of the Dgrin Hive Mind
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=57102
Old May-09-2012, 08:52 AM
GWC for hire
Honestly I have no strong opinion on this issue. If you want it fixed, I understand that. I'm sure it won't make any practical difference, but I get the principle. I'm really not worried about the resale value of my camera because by then we will be on to the 5D Mark VI. If at that time that person wants to get sanctimonious about this light leak non-issue, I probably won't want to deal with them anyway. Maybe I'll just keep it as a backup or give it to my kids.

Old May-09-2012, 08:54 AM
ziggy53 is offline ziggy53
Still learnin'still lovin
Quote:
... Since we are all electrical engineer's here with years of camera manufacturing experience, what would you have preferred as the 'fix' substrate?
While the black tape solution is remedial and expeditious, my guess is that later top LCD panel modules will have a higher opacity in the bottom portion of the module, allowing for less light propagation into the inner cavity and metering section of the camera body. (This assumes that not all top LCD panel modules have been produced and that their production can be altered, which is likely at this stage of active production.)
Old May-09-2012, 09:09 AM
dlplumer is offline dlplumer
Major grins
Quote:
Honestly I have no strong opinion on this issue. If you want it fixed, I understand that. I'm sure it won't make any practical difference, but I get the principle. I'm really not worried about the resale value of my camera because by then we will be on to the 5D Mark VI. If at that time that person wants to get sanctimonious about this light leak non-issue, I probably won't want to deal with them anyway. Maybe I'll just keep it as a backup or give it to my kids.
+1 No offense Nik. I get your perspective, but in my opinion this whole issue is a non-issue
Old May-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Darth SLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplumer View Post
+1 No offense Nik. I get your perspective, but in my opinion this whole issue is a non-issue
None taken :-) Everyone owns their gear, and does whatever one deems necessary with it...
Old May-09-2012, 09:57 AM
dlplumer is offline dlplumer
Major grins
Quote:
None taken :-) Everyone owns their gear, and does whatever one deems necessary with it...
I did join CPS, so I will see what happens, and I certainly will take advantage of free service and cleanings
Old May-09-2012, 10:11 AM
Darth SLR
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlplumer View Post
I did join CPS, so I will see what happens, and I certainly will take advantage of free service and cleanings
Yup... I had specifically that in mind, so while I was having only one 5D3 body (now, luckily I got my second one, which is xxxxx3 ;-) I have been changing lenses without thinking twice (high wind, AC running, etc), since I knew for sure that in 6-8 weeks I'll get a free service ticket from CPS, and they would totally do the cleaning along with the taping :-) CPS is great!
Page 3  of  4
1 2 3 4
Tell The World!