• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Gear Cameras Technical Question

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old May-07-2012, 02:21 PM
thelegend is offline thelegend OP
Beginner grinner
Technical Question
Hi guys,

I got a new bridge camera today (I'm relatively new to photography). It's a Fuji S4300. I'm still picking up the majority of the settings, but one issue I've notices is that when I force the flash on the camera won't take a picture. The button to capture the photo becomes completely unresponsive. Is there a particular reason for this? It doesn't seem to matter what scene setting I have it set to, or whether I am using the manual, shutter or aperture priority settings. For some reason it just will not take the picture. Any ideas? Thanks.

P.S. if this is in the wrong forum section I apologise, and could a Mod move it

Thanks again
Old May-07-2012, 02:37 PM
DavidTO is offline DavidTO
Mod Emeritus
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegend View Post
a Mod move it
Old May-07-2012, 04:12 PM
MarkR is offline MarkR
Accused Shill.
I don't know about the Fuji specifically, but most cameras have a flash functions setting. Yours may be set to turn the flash off, or only fire under certain circumstances.

First thing I check when I get a new camera is to make sure that it's set to always fire when the flash is up.
Old May-07-2012, 05:31 PM
ziggy53 is offline ziggy53
Still learnin'still lovin
What camera mode (typically P, A, S or M), flash mode, what settings and what environments produce this phenomenon?
Old May-08-2012, 02:50 AM
Beginner grinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy53 View Post
What camera mode (typically P, A, S or M), flash mode, what settings and what environments produce this phenomenon?
I've tried it on every mode, with a variety of shutter speeds and aperture settings. Also tried in both dark and bright environments. Still won't capture image when flash is forced on
Old May-08-2012, 03:20 AM
time2smile is offline time2smile
Major grins
Does the flash fire when you are on auto (not forced), it just does not fire when you force it.
http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
Old May-08-2012, 04:27 AM
Beginner grinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by time2smile View Post
Does the flash fire when you are on auto (not forced), it just does not fire when you force it.
Not so far, the anti red eye goes off though.
Old May-08-2012, 04:41 AM
ziggy53 is offline ziggy53
Still learnin'still lovin
Quote:
I've tried it on every mode, with a variety of shutter speeds and aperture settings. Also tried in both dark and bright environments. Still won't capture image when flash is forced on
I cannot envision a camera setup scenario which could cause that to happen. I suspect that you have a camera problem and I advise you to return the camera for either a replacement or an alternate model.
Old May-08-2012, 05:06 AM
Beginner grinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy53 View Post
I cannot envision a camera setup scenario which could cause that to happen. I suspect that you have a camera problem and I advise you to return the camera for either a replacement or an alternate model.
I thought that might be the case, I'll need to return it. I like the camera, hopefully I can get the same model
Old May-08-2012, 05:14 AM
angevin1 is offline angevin1
Performs as designed
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
I don't know about the Fuji specifically, but most cameras have a flash functions setting. Yours may be set to turn the flash off, or only fire under certain circumstances.

First thing I check when I get a new camera is to make sure that it's set to always fire when the flash is up.
And you did check the flash settings in the Menu and referenced it to the Manual?
Old May-08-2012, 07:08 AM
Beginner grinner
Quote:
Originally Posted by angevin1 View Post
And you did check the flash settings in the Menu and referenced it to the Manual?
Yeah, checked both. In the flash settings menu it gives you options such as + - 0 or + 2/3 -2/3. I have tried a variety of these with no success. In the manual under trouble shooting it does acknowledge that the flash may not activate in certain scene settings but I have tried all of them and it's not activating at all. The manual directs you to the chapter covering different scene set-ups but provides no info on the flash. I would have assumed at the very least that when the dial is set to "M" the flash should activate when set to force on?

Also, thanks for all the input guys
Old May-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Qarik is offline Qarik
Krazy Korean
wait..does the flash ever fire? I mean when you don't force it? could the flash just be broken?
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com
Old May-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Beginner grinner
Update
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qarik View Post
wait..does the flash ever fire? I mean when you don't force it? could the flash just be broken?
It had never fired.

I took it back to the shop today, the flash was faulty. Got a replacement which works perfectly.

Thanks for the replies, hopefully have some cool pics to upload soon
Old May-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Qarik is offline Qarik
Krazy Korean
*victory lap*
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com
Tell The World!