• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support SmugMug Pro Sales Support All opinions needed

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May-06-2012, 01:12 PM
#1
Mommajojo is offline Mommajojo OP
Big grins
All opinions needed
I worked for someone recently that had several different children put on her product to take photos. The photo shoot last three hours. The editing took more than ten hours. One of the parents now wants all the photos of her children removed from the gallery. The thing is I worked for the product, not the mother. She says I can leave them up if I give her a cd of all the photos. Her exact words are all I am asking for is a cd. Any suggestions.
Old May-07-2012, 06:33 AM
#2
jwcoffee is offline jwcoffee
Panographer
If you worked for the "product" why is the mother talking to you? What did your contract with the "Product" include regarding image rights? Were there model releases involved?

-Jim Coffee-



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommajojo View Post
I worked for someone recently that had several different children put on her product to take photos. The photo shoot last three hours. The editing took more than ten hours. One of the parents now wants all the photos of her children removed from the gallery. The thing is I worked for the product, not the mother. She says I can leave them up if I give her a cd of all the photos. Her exact words are all I am asking for is a cd. Any suggestions.
__________________
Jim Coffee
Photographer, Panographer
James Coffee Studios
Escondido, CA
Old May-07-2012, 11:23 AM
#3
Mommajojo is offline Mommajojo OP
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcoffee View Post
If you worked for the "product" why is the mother talking to you? What did your contract with the "Product" include regarding image rights? Were there model releases involved?

-Jim Coffee-
Good Question, I told the mother to speak to the owner of the "product". I worked for the "Product". There was no written contract. The Product said she was having friends model.

It gets better the owner of the product screen shot my work and is using that on facebook.
Old May-08-2012, 01:20 PM
#4
Howard Barlow is offline Howard Barlow
Major grins
Howard Barlow's Avatar
Did YOU get a release from the parents to use their children in a commercial venture? If not, you are setting yourself up for a very expensive lesson. And, no, the client cannot give permission for you to use another person's child in such manner. This is not legal advice, as I am not a lawyer, but it is good advice..
__________________
You donít pay me by the hour. You pay for the years of hard work that made it possible for me to paint such a picture in only one hour! Pablo Picasso
Old May-09-2012, 08:02 PM
#5
Mommajojo is offline Mommajojo OP
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Barlow View Post
Did YOU get a release from the parents to use their children in a commercial venture? If not, you are setting yourself up for a very expensive lesson. And, no, the client cannot give permission for you to use another person's child in such manner. This is not legal advice, as I am not a lawyer, but it is good advice..
THank you.. Lesson well learned. I will not work with a product again. I am basically a family photographer. This was my first experience with a product. The product is a product made at home.
Not high end, just a woman who makes a cute item and was interested in better photos for her facebook page. With that said, I have it in the messages that the woman creating the product had the parents permission. All parents were present, but either way. I have now removed their gallery from my site. I have been in contact with a lawyer he said because it was an informal situation and no one stopped their child from being photographed and by bringing them to the location they were fully aware that their photos were being taken and by the children putting on the product they were aware what the photos were to be used for. I did not use the photos for advertising. I just placed them in a gallery and made them available for purchase.

On a different note, the lawyer said I can pursue the woman for copyright infringement for screen grabbing the photographs.
Tell The World!  
Similar Threads Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Background opinions needed divamum People 7 Apr-14-2011 06:52 AM
Opinions needed reyvee61 People 12 Sep-15-2010 07:13 PM
Opinions Needed - Did I Handle This Right? CyberSteak Mind Your Own Business 18 Feb-10-2010 06:57 AM
Lens Line Up Switch...Opinions Wanted Blurmore Cameras 13 May-04-2006 06:15 AM
Opinion: Buying Used LIghting Equipment iyacyas Accessories 15 Apr-10-2006 07:31 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump