• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Video Action! HDR Video

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Dec-10-2011, 07:08 AM
HeavyJ is offline HeavyJ OP
Against the Grain
HDR Video

This is another attempt at HDR video timelapse...

3 bracket shots for 16gigs worth of RAW photos. Import and batch process in Photomatix, bring into lightroom and batch edit till happy...go into After Effects to create the timelapse....now I just need to go out and find more to make it longer...

My Site: http://www.studiof7.com

Old Dec-10-2011, 02:13 PM
DavidTO is offline DavidTO
Mod Emeritus
Nicely done! Go get more!
Old May-05-2012, 02:51 PM
wailor is offline wailor
Beginner grinner
Very nice
Old May-06-2012, 03:47 PM
Overfocused is offline Overfocused
Photo Nut
I like!

Easiest free way to make it longer is don't shoot in full size. You can shoot 3 or 4 megapixels and its still large enough for 1080p after cropping (set up your scene for the video ratio of course)

You could also get an Eye-Fi SD card and have it automatically transfer to a nearby laptop if your camera has an SD slot. Some CF to SD card adapters can work for CF only cameras and use the wireless, but you'd have to do your homework to find one or people that have done it and can tell you what will work. Imagine having 500GB of space for a shoot! You could go for weeks on smaller settings.

Another is having a camera with an in-camera HDR feature. Most cameras with it can be set to keep only the processed result. If you find a camera that does a good job with it, then you could do many many many more frames. Thousands more frames if you take photos at a smaller size than maximum combined with in camera HDR.
Old May-08-2012, 05:10 AM
Against the Grain
The reason you would shoot larger images (Full res) is so that you can actually do pans and zooms and not lose any quality. This is essentially a 4K video downsized to 1080p. By leaving it at 4000 pixels or so on the longest side, you can zoom in and out or pan left to right, up or down...all sorts of moves WITHOUT losing any quality.

The reason for keeping it in RAW is to give myself more wiggle room for the HDR process. In-camera would take the creativity away from me.

Old May-08-2012, 07:40 AM
Overfocused is offline Overfocused
Photo Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyJ View Post
The reason you would shoot larger images (Full res) is so that you can actually do pans and zooms and not lose any quality. This is essentially a 4K video downsized to 1080p. By leaving it at 4000 pixels or so on the longest side, you can zoom in and out or pan left to right, up or down...all sorts of moves WITHOUT losing any quality.
I was assuming you were shooting at the maximum size of whatever your camera is, which is usually 12-18MP now. 4k by 2.6k is 10.2 so I guess its not necessarily that high of a savings if its on the low end. Also, I didn't see any pans or zooms in the video so I thought it was just for straight up tightly framed time lapse stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyJ View Post
The reason for keeping it in RAW is to give myself more wiggle room for the HDR process. In-camera would take the creativity away from me.
In my experience, if its a good in-camera HDR, its not creatively restrictive at all... its actually pretty liberating. I agree a lot of in camera HDR go way too far and just do all the loopy stuff for you, but the good ones offer settings for a no gimmicks technically correct shot that gives you complete room for creative editing afterward. It just gets that extended step of crunching them together in the HDR software out of the way. I use the 5D MKIII now, and it does an excellent job of simply getting the tones in range and making it look like its still a normal single-shot photo. I still get to edit in post as I would a normal single exposure, as creatively as I want to. At least for me, it changes workflow and gives the boot to HDR generating programs saving time/space, while still giving me results I'd get through the HDR programs.

But yeah I'm not saying you should buy a MKIII or something just to try it, lol

Back to the original point... it looks great, but needs to be longer! The eye-fi card or a USB tether with netbook would probably be your best bet

Last edited by Overfocused; May-08-2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old May-10-2012, 07:52 AM
Against the Grain

I plan to do more of not only Osaka but the Kansai area.

Tell The World!