• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support Legacy SmugMug Customization New - JFriend HTML5 Slideshow beta release!

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 134  of  184
Old May-02-2012, 04:18 PM
dtg56 is offline dtg56
Big grins
Main Page problems
Good evening

I have tried to make the slideshow work on my home page and it does not want to fill the full page. I sure it is that I do not understand all the code but I'm to the point of frustration. Any help would be appreciated. My home page is: http://www.davegamblephotography.com/

I have the information place in my advanced customization and the slide show is running in my bio box. Also how do you get the slide show to run faster ?

Thank you for any help,

Dave

Last edited by dtg56; May-02-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: slideshow timing
Old May-02-2012, 05:06 PM
earthwalker is offline earthwalker
Big grins
JFriend HTML5 Slideshow Question
I have implemented the JFriend HTML5 Slideshow and would like to have it fill my screen. My website is www.andrecahill.com
Old May-02-2012, 05:42 PM
jfriend is offline jfriend OP
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
I have implemented the JFriend HTML5 Slideshow and would like to have it fill my screen. My website is www.andrecahill.com
You specified a fixed size. If you remove that and turn the stretchy option on (which is described in the documentation), then the slideshow will make itself as large as it can while still fitting on the screen without scrolling and while only scaling your images proportionally.

If you want it to fill even more than that, you can read about the superSize option in the slideshow documentation, but I can tell you right now that that option won't work well with the borders you have built into your images. There's also a lot of wasted vertical space in your custom header which will prevent the slideshow from being as large as it can.
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Last edited by jfriend; May-02-2012 at 05:59 PM.
Old May-02-2012, 07:39 PM
earthwalker is offline earthwalker
Big grins
Thanks John. I put a fix size in because the stretchy option wasn't very large. I'll try it without the borders on the pictures also. How do I get rid of the wasted vertical space in the header?
Old May-02-2012, 08:02 PM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwalker View Post
Thanks John. I put a fix size in because the stretchy option wasn't very large. I'll try it without the borders on the pictures also. How do I get rid of the wasted vertical space in the header?
This tightens up the header spacing:

#customHeaderContainer, #homepage, #bioBox .boxBottom,#userBio {padding-top: 0;}
.homepage #breadcrumb {display: none;}
Old May-02-2012, 11:29 PM
Patrik is offline Patrik
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriend View Post
I don't understand what you're asking. Your banner is 900px wide which obviously won't fit on a screen that isn't that wide. There's no reason for it to be that wide because most of it is empty space. If you take ALL the empty space out of your banner, we can then use CSS to position it to the right, but allow it to all show on smaller screens.

I hope I can explain better with this image: http://www.patrikwinge.com/photos/i-...-d7XGGmV-L.jpg

My banner doesn't fill the screen (small screen) on my homepage like it does on gallery pages. I didn't have this difference before we added the slideshow on my homepage. Compare red and green arrow.

My banner is 900 px and I intend to add graphics to it. I'm just not done yet. I want the banner to remain 900 px.

I mean all the dark area on the top of the screen when I say Banner, but I have a vague memory that it from a more technical point of view is a small background image horizontally repeated and a banner image on top. I might me wrong...
Old May-03-2012, 02:00 AM
dtg56 is offline dtg56
Big grins
Slide show not full and slow
John

I have tried to make the slideshow work on my home page and it does not want to fill the full page. I sure it is that I do not understand all the code but I'm to the point of frustration. Any help would be appreciated. My home page is: http://www.davegamblephotography.com/

I have the information place in my advanced customization and the slide show is running in my bio box. Also how do you get the slide show to run faster ?

Thank you for any help,

Dave
Old May-03-2012, 12:09 PM
vegaguy is offline vegaguy
Major grins
Quote:
You have a couple script errors. Change it to this:

Code:
<script type="text/javascript">

JF.InsertSlideshowHere({
    galleryURL: "http://www.johnparliphotography.com/Portraits/Senior-Portraits/22755829_DfZzkD/",
    transitionDuration: ".5",
    betweenTransitionsTime: "2.5",
    transitionsList: "Fade", 
    slideBorderWidth: "1",
    slideBorderColor: "#000000",
    stretchy: "false",
    height: "650",
    width: "1067",
    minH: "600",
    topAlign: "top",
    keyboardNav: "off",
    randomSlideOrder: "true"}
);

</script>
that did not seem to work Jfriend. I wasn't sure if there was a code blocking gallery Descriptions but being a new gallery it wouldn't have that... and I did not see it each time I looked. any other thoughts on what to look into? thanks for the help!
Old May-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrik View Post
I hope I can explain better with this image: http://www.patrikwinge.com/photos/i-...-d7XGGmV-L.jpg

My banner doesn't fill the screen (small screen) on my homepage like it does on gallery pages. I didn't have this difference before we added the slideshow on my homepage. Compare red and green arrow.

My banner is 900 px and I intend to add graphics to it. I'm just not done yet. I want the banner to remain 900 px.

I mean all the dark area on the top of the screen when I say Banner, but I have a vague memory that it from a more technical point of view is a small background image horizontally repeated and a banner image on top. I might me wrong...
I can't find a browser or screen size that makes it look like it does in your screen shot (I don't have an iPhone). In these cases, I look for errors in your CSS that might cause different browsers to behave differently. So, I ran your CSS through a CSS validator. I'd suggest you fix the following errors:

#1: Change this CSS:

Code:
/* Header for PW */
.category_Landscape #my_banner {
height: 100px;
background: url(http://www.patrikwinge.com/photos/1010017733_G5NuN-L.jpg) no-repeat;

.category_Landscape body
{background-image:url(http://www.patrikwinge.com/photos/1009983065_TrX7N-L.jpg) !important;}

}
to this:

Code:
/* Header for PW */
.category_Landscape #my_banner {
height: 100px;
background: url(http://www.patrikwinge.com/photos/1010017733_G5NuN-L.jpg) no-repeat; }

.category_Landscape body
{background-image:url(http://www.patrikwinge.com/photos/1009983065_TrX7N-L.jpg) !important;}
#2: Remove the extraneous comma shown in red:

Code:
#navcontainer2, {display:none;}
#3: Change both these auto values to 0. Auto is not a valid value for padding:

Code:
.gallery_6951250 #albumDescription { 
    margin-top: 0px;    /* gap from navbar at top */
/*    background: #ffffff; */   /* background of description box */
    padding: 20px auto 40px;    /* top right bottom left */
}                                    /* spacing inside box from edges */

.gallery_6951250 .myPhoto {
    float: left;     /* allows the text to flow to the right */
    padding: 0 auto 10px;  /* top right bottom left        */
}
#4: Fix this comment formatting:

Change this:

Code:
.gallery_6951250 .myPhoto img {
   border: 1px ridge #000000; */    add border around photo */
}
to this:

Code:
.gallery_6951250 .myPhoto img {
   border: 1px ridge #000000; /*    add border around photo */
}
#5: Add the missing #:

Code:
.gallery_6951250 .myEmail:hover {color: #8c6c30;}
Code:
.gallery_9787875 .myEmail:hover {color: #8c6c30;}
#6: Remove this HTML from the CSS file - it does not belong there:

Code:
<button id="myBaseStart" type="button">Start</button>
<button id="myBasePause" type="button">Stop</button>
<button id="myBasePrevious" type="button">&lt;</button>
<button id="myBaseNext" type="button">&gt;</button>
Then, see if that improves your issue.
Old May-03-2012, 01:51 PM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaguy View Post
that did not seem to work Jfriend. I wasn't sure if there was a code blocking gallery Descriptions but being a new gallery it wouldn't have that... and I did not see it each time I looked. any other thoughts on what to look into? thanks for the help!
I see two issues:

1) Remove the trailing backslash from your gallery URL. The code isn't tolerating that for some reason (that issue was fixed awhile ago and the code fix to handle that is present in the latest version of the slideshow code).

2) Your CSS is hiding the gallery description so even if the slideshow attempts to run, it's hidden by your CSS. This line of CSS is hiding it:

#albumDescription {display:none;}
Old May-03-2012, 06:37 PM
morgala is offline morgala
Beginner grinner
Done step 3 of the tutorial but still a border in IE9
Hey Guys,

I have done step 3 of the tutorial to remove the boarder but I am still getting one in IE9 and maybe other IE browsers (not tested). Am I doing something wrong?

www.jamesmorgan.com.au

Cheers

James
Old May-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgala View Post
Hey Guys,

I have done step 3 of the tutorial to remove the boarder but I am still getting one in IE9 and maybe other IE browsers (not tested). Am I doing something wrong?

www.jamesmorgan.com.au

Cheers

James
I am only seeing the border in IE. To start with, remove the parts in red from your bio:

Code:
<a title="More below." href="/#galleries"><script type="text/javascript">
JF.InsertSlideshowHere({
    galleryURL: "http://gallery.jamesmorgan.com.au/Other/Slide-Show-Gallery/21803755_5RNrnw#!i=1738370499&k=36gKT56",
    stretchy: "true",
    slideBorderColor: "#FFFFFF",
    splashBorderColor: "#FFFFFF",
    slideBorderWidth: "0",
    transitionsList: "Fade"}
);
</script></a>
If you want the slideshow to be clickable, then use the clickToURL option for the slideshow.
Old May-04-2012, 03:14 AM
Patrik is offline Patrik
Big grins
John,

I've made the corrections, but it didn't help.

I can see the issue on my computer too if I reduce the browser window. Both in Safari, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
Old May-04-2012, 04:37 AM
dtg56 is offline dtg56
Big grins
Good evening

I have the information place in my advanced customization and the slide show is running in my bio box. The link to my gallery that is linked to the bio box is http://www.davegamblephotography.com...1259216_fpNnrx

Also how do you get the slide show to run faster ?

Thank you for any help,

Dave
Old May-04-2012, 06:04 AM
Major grins
I'm looking at the slideshow controls and am curious if anyone has utilized buttons to navigate.?. Is there a way to add a filmstrip with buttons below the slideshow? Page 26 of the reference material mentions CSS for the buttons. Any pointers on how to get started there?

and thanx jfriend. added --> .gallery_xxxxxxxx #albumDescription {display:block;} to allow the album desc in this gallery if anyone is curious : )
Old May-04-2012, 06:17 AM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
ahhhh, thanx jfriend. is that update you mentioned something I need to go back and re-install?
You are running v1.0.0 of the slideshow code. There are about 15 bug fixes in v1.1.0. If you are confident you can replace the correct code in top javascript, bottom javascript and CSS with the latest version, I would recommend doing so.
Old May-04-2012, 06:18 AM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
I'm looking at the slideshow controls and am curious if anyone has utilized buttons to navigate.?. Is there a way to add a filmstrip with buttons below the slideshow? Page 26 of the reference material mentions CSS for the buttons. Any pointers on how to get started there?

and thanx jfriend. added --> .gallery_xxxxxxxx #albumDescription {display:block;} to allow the album desc in this gallery if anyone is curious : )
This slideshow does not have a filmstrip. There are people using buttons for manual navigation. The documentation contains instructions for using the buttons. You have to make your own HTML for the buttons and if you give them the right CSS ids, the slideshow will hook up to them automatically to make them work.
Old May-04-2012, 06:28 AM
Major grins
Quote:
This slideshow does not have a filmstrip. There are people using buttons for manual navigation. The documentation contains instructions for using the buttons. You have to make your own HTML for the buttons and if you give them the right CSS ids, the slideshow will hook up to them automatically to make them work.
how did he get this--> http://jedi2.smugmug.com/Development...15513693_v88V5 I didn't see how to build the html and css ids needed... that may be too advanced for me at this point :)

I wanna go for a hike now:)
Old May-05-2012, 07:53 AM
canderson1229 is offline canderson1229
Connie
First thanks so much for the slideshow. I hadn't made major changes in 4 years and was a bit afraid to get into anything major for fear of getting stuck. But it went very smoothly and no major hiccups!! So I made the change now there are a couple of tweaks I'd like to make to it and hope you can help. I would like to add a drop shadow to the slideshow on my home page www.connieandersonphotography.com One that extends on the long edge of the bottom. Can that be accomplished fairly easily?
Old May-05-2012, 06:29 PM
leaforte is offline leaforte
Major grins
Galleries Link
After installing the slideshow, and returning my script for my header and nav bar, I still am unable to navigate the galleries link to my catagories page as it did before. It just replays the homepage slide show (which works excellently by the way). Any ideas?
tonymcguiness.smugmug.com

Page 134  of  184
Tell The World!  
Tags
advanced , custom header , flash , help me , slideshow