• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Shots The Dgrin Challenges Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #102 - Spring Quiet

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 1  of  2
1 2
Old Apr-30-2012, 07:35 PM
JAG is offline JAG OP
Photomaniac
Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge #102 - Spring Quiet
Welcome to Round #102 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges. This challenge is open to any Dgrin member.

It will run from Monday, April 30, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8) on through Monday, May 14, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8).

The POEM ready for your interpretation: Spring Quiet

by: Christina Rossetti (1847)

Gone were but the Winter,
Come were but the Spring,
I would go to a covert
Where the birds sing.

Where in the whitethom
Singeth a thrush,
And a robin sings
In the holly-bush.

Full of fresh scents
Are the budding boughs
Arching high over
A cool green house:

Full of sweet scents,
And whispering air
Which sayeth softly:
“We spread no snare;

“Here dwell in safety,
Here dwell alone,
With a clear stream
And a mossy stone.

“Here the sun shineth
Most shadily;
Here is heard an echo
Of the far sea,
Though far off it be.”

How you interpret is totally up to you. It can be one sentence, one word or the whole poem! Just make sure your image has a strong inspiration from the poem.

There are no editing restrictions this round.

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page:

DSS #102 Entry Gallery

Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge Rules.
Old May-01-2012, 03:24 AM
sweetharmony is offline sweetharmony
Major grins
That's a lovely poem, Joyce....really gets the creative juices flowing! And quite a few of us always welcome another excuse to get outdoors with our cameras......

My Smugmug Photos
Old May-01-2012, 03:34 PM
travelways is offline travelways
Candid Grinner
Beautiful - I wish we had this kind of springy weather here.... :)

Observing the world around is my hobby :)
Old May-01-2012, 04:03 PM
CHANDLERJA is offline CHANDLERJA
Light Seeker
I like it!
Old May-02-2012, 12:10 PM
grandmaR is offline grandmaR
Major grins
Interesting poem to illustrate. Of course my mind, being what it is, immediately translated "Spring Quiet" to "Silent Spring" which is almost the exact opposite message.

So I went out this morning intending to take a photo of one particular thing. It is the first photo in this album

https://picasaweb.google.com/1069800...eat=directlink

which is titled "Quiet Spring Rejects"

Last edited by grandmaR; May-02-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old May-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Cambyses is offline Cambyses
Major grins
Ok, this poem seems to be pretty wide open to all sorts of interpretations... For example, I see little, if any, correlation between the pictures and the poem in this clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sxNeBXFY_U

-K.
Old May-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Candid Grinner
I saw this video too and also read about her and her biography.

After I read several times the poem I actually thought the same way as grandmaR.

I asked my husband to read it and to tell me if it's about a happy, colorful spring scenario or a sad, melancholic thing - he said it was definitely colorful and happy ... :)

I have to admit that I'm confused too

Old May-04-2012, 06:17 PM
grandmaR is offline grandmaR
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by photo-funtasia View Post
I saw this video too and also read about her and her biography.

After I read several times the poem I actually thought the same way as grandmaR.

I asked my husband to read it and to tell me if it's about a happy, colorful spring scenario or a sad, melancholic thing - he said it was definitely colorful and happy ... :)

I have to admit that I'm confused too
I don't think that everyone's interpretation has to be the same. At least I hope not. (And there are some phrases in the poem ie Gone were but the Winter, that we can't really do now - it is really too late here to do spring photos.)

I didn't think the poem was sad. But my original associate with a quiet spring was with Rachel Carson's book. I don't know if people know that book anymore.

I didn't see the video or read about the author - I just went by the words. ALONE is a sad word. SAFE is a comfortable word. Budding Boughs - pleasant, etc.

But most of the images (sun shining shadily?) are late spring going into summer because in the early spring you don't have leaves on the trees for shade. (And since the leaves are on the trees here, this is a good thing.)

I have done a painting that would sort of illustrate the poem, but I painted it some time ago. I thought that a photo of a painting wouldn't be 'fresh' and would be out of guidelines.

Old May-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Candid Grinner
Yes, I know, I thought about all these - that's why I went to read about her and asked my husband's opinion too, because I was not sure about the feelings this poem is about...

Nice painting

Old May-04-2012, 08:45 PM
JAG is offline JAG OP
Photomaniac
So many interpretations can be done with this, I guess its going to be a real challenge for you all! Leaves it wide open to the reader/photographer. Have fun with it, I look forward to seeing what you all come up with!
Old May-04-2012, 10:05 PM
DonRicklin is online now DonRicklin
Polysemaniac!
Why am I missing seeing the link to the Challenge Gallery for this one?

Don
Old May-05-2012, 08:06 AM
sherstone is offline sherstone
½ here
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRicklin View Post
Why am I missing seeing the link to the Challenge Gallery for this one?

Don
It might have been hiding behind a white mask.
Can you see it now?
Old May-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Sventekoz is offline Sventekoz
Major grins
I like the idea of a poem for inspiration! There's enough scope for those of us in the southern hemisphere who are going through Autumn (Fall) to enter as well.
Old May-05-2012, 08:40 PM
DonRicklin is online now DonRicklin
Polysemaniac!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherstone View Post
It might have been hiding behind a white mask.
Can you see it now?
Got it, thanks. I use the White skin and don't like white text!

Don
Old May-06-2012, 08:22 AM
richtersl is offline richtersl
Major grins
Help! My Challenge entry was eaten
I just uploaded a photo to the challenge gallery. It is the 4th entry submitted. It's a photo of a little girl in a pink dress picking flowers. I can view it when I'm logged in to the gallery (challenges/challenges). When I log out of the Challenges gallery it's no longer visible.

I use Firefox and cleared my cache to see if that changed anything. It didn't. I tried viewing it with Safari and still can't see the photo.

What's going on?

http://lrichters.smugmug.com
Old May-06-2012, 08:27 AM
½ here
Quote:
Originally Posted by richtersl View Post
I just uploaded a photo to the challenge gallery. It is the 4th entry submitted. It's a photo of a little girl in a pink dress picking flowers. I can view it when I'm logged in to the gallery (challenges/challenges). When I log out of the Challenges gallery it's no longer visible.

I use Firefox and cleared my cache to see if that changed anything. It didn't. I tried viewing it with Safari and still can't see the photo.

What's going on?
This has happened in the past. I do not have an explanation about why it happens but the easy fix is to up load the image again and then we can delete the hidden one. In the past I tried things like copying etc.. But uploading the same image again works better.
Just make sure you check the box to allow duplicates if needed.
Old May-06-2012, 08:47 AM
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherstone View Post
This has happened in the past. I do not have an explanation about why it happens but the easy fix is to up load the image again and then we can delete the hidden one. In the past I tried things like copying etc.. But uploading the same image again works better.
Just make sure you check the box to allow duplicates if needed.
Thank you! That worked.

Old May-06-2012, 09:01 AM
½ here
Quote:
Thank you! That worked.
Super! I removed the hidden one for you. Thanks for re-uploading.
Old May-09-2012, 04:34 AM
HoofClix is offline HoofClix
HoofSational!
Quote:

What's going on?
I bet you clicked the "hide photo" box below the image by mistake, so when you logged off, it couldn't be seen...
Old May-09-2012, 05:30 AM
Major grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoofClix View Post
I bet you clicked the "hide photo" box below the image by mistake, so when you logged off, it couldn't be seen...
There's a "hide photo" check box? I never knew that. Will have to keep an eye out for it next time.

Page 1  of  2
1 2
Tell The World!